“Disappointing”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Union City
Nebraska
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Stayed Aug 28-Sept 4,2011. Encountered broken security door (entire stay), broken outlets in room, super slow or down wi-fi, and algae in pool while we were there. Not to mention that our floors in our room were never cleaned during our entire stay. Understand "green initiatives" but if a floor is dirty it should be cleaned. Everytime i got in shower after walking across floors barefoot, it looked like I had just come in from outside!:(. Close location to get on 880 freeway or BART, and the setting is relatively quiet. Staff was very attentive and polite, just didn't rank as high as other hotels in same chain we have stayed at!

• Stayed August 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I traveled to Union City for a friend's funeral and needed a quiet place where I could decompress from all the emotional stress. The Crowne Plaza provided that.

This is not a new facility and it shows in some areas, but it is a step above the average hotel. The staff is very courteous and helpful and the rooms are neat and clean. The room service meals are good, maybe a bit pricey, just try to avoid the soggy french fries.

When I return to Union City I'll stay in the Crowne Plaza.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
anaheim
Reviewed 17 June 2011

I have never felt so unsafe in an area with any of my stay's in a hotel. I could not believe the Gang activitiy I witnessed when I arrived. The property looks as though it would be safe when I came off the freeway, but I believe the person being beat up in front of the hotel , should have been an indicator of what I was going to be seeing with this stay. The hotel looks as though it should have been built somehwere else. As I checked in I was thinking about my safety the whole time. The room was ok , but nothing to brag about. I have stayed at better hotels. The major indicator was the hair all over the bathroom floor with soap ! Well enough drama . I went to the front desk and asked for any decent restaurants in the area. I was automatically drilled with " what ? they are all decent" I was suprised with this demeanor. It was like I insulted them !!! I then decided to just get a candy bar at a vending maching with a bottled water. Needless to say they didnt work. At this point I was tired and hungry and not to safe with my surroundings. I decided to go to my car and get a power bar from my SUV. At this point I saw 4 vehicles drag racing down the street !!! I felt like I was in a Fast and a Furious movie !!! I ran to my room and decided to take a sleeping pill and hope I was alive the next day. This Hotel is the worse experience I have ever had in a Crowne Plaza Hotel in my life. I should have just kept driving to another city. Thats what I get for checking out a city I don't know about. This is truly a gang infested city at night. I am sure it looks great during the day. But Like I stated this is not SAFE !!!!!!!

Room Tip: If you like Gang activity after hours !
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Union City hotels

Fremont, California
Reviewed 21 April 2011

I stayed in this hotel with a group and had a banquet event in the facility for a birthday celebration.
I was very welcome by the front desk clerks with a very yummy delicious goodie bag snacks at the desk. The goodie bag was FREE which was so NICE AND AWESOME of them to take care of their guest.
The lobby is beautiful, with new furnitures and marble floor, the rooms were clean with the nice white fluffy duvet blanket and tons of pillow choices to choose from. I love the cute burgundy bag they put on top of the bed that has useful items to help me sleep better. The sash bag had earplugs, a aromatic spray like a febreze to spray on the linens, an eye mask, etc, etc...

I love the fact that i didn't have to pay for Internet in my room! It was FREE!!!! Which is not the same to other hotels which charges by the amount of hours we are online...

The banquet part was the most memorable part of my stay that this hotel, I had a wonderful banquet meal which is different to what I have experienced from other hotels banquet food. The food seemed it was all handmade fresh and presented very nicelly.
The room was very well decorated and my friends and I had lots of fun dancing all night long in their ballroom.

My overall stay at this hotel was EXCELLENT! I'm not sure why I read bad reviews from other people, this is my experience latelly and things must have changed to a LOT better!

Room Tip: Call the Front-Desk for your reservations! =)
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Cris5471
Reviewed 14 March 2011

Old getto hotel ::: needs major tlc ::: wake up crowne management ::: front desk staff were great::: great snack bag on checkin but ::: i would stay else where cancelled my next night and moved to the hinn express down the road :::

• Stayed January 2011
2 Thank travelz4biz
Hayward, California
Reviewed 8 March 2011

I would recommend the san mateo ballroom to anybody to held their wedding or
birthday parties. Special thanks to the Asst. Gen. Manager Cristina Lin for personally
taking care of my wedding. Good job. I am satisfied.

• Stayed March 2011
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Firstly, unless you are desperate, do not stay at this hotel. The lobby has been redecorated, and there are new bed linens in the rooms. But, the rooms and hotel are old and dirty. I showered with my socks on because the tub was so dirty.

But that is not the key point - on the second day at about 7am, the deadlock in my door broke and I was stuck inside. Maintenance could not get it fixed, and had to put a ladder up against the 2nd floor window and come in thru that way. But the window has a screwed in little plate that restricts it from opening. So the maintenance man on the ladder lifted one side of the window out of its track and placed it against the second window. Then he and another guy came in thru the window and proceeded to try to get the door fixed. No avail. Hinges to old to get apart, too. One maintenance man went back out the window, bumped the pane that was leaning, it fell into the room and shattered all over. My laptop was open on the table next to it and I was standing not 10 inches from where the window shattered. Luckily I didn't get cut. Not so for my laptop.

Evenutally maintenance had to bring in a power saw and cut thru the door.

Then they forced me out - with three guys standing there watching me try to pack in a hurry (even my underwear). As I struggled out with my luggage - not a single one offered to help.

I went to the front desk, explained what happened and asked for another room so I could work and finish getting dressed. The front desk person called housekeeping and told them to give me a used room, "just clean up the bathroom a little bit, don't worry about making the beds or any other cleaning, she doesn't need it". They wanted me to use a used room!

I pretty much was forced to leave the hotel about 9am, when I was supposed to be there working.

Later, they would not help me, comp me or anything. No returned calls. No calls when promised. Turns out my computer keyboard was ruined - but our IT guys were able to pull another keyboard from an older computer and replace it for free.

I had to keep calling the hotel to try to get resolution on the fact that they kicked me out early, and was always referred to the Asst Manger (you would think the Manager would care enough to talk with me himself).

She told me on the 5th try to reach her after we had talked about the incident in the past: "Oh, I didn't bother to talk with my staff about this, so can you refresh me?" You'd think they would have tried to find out why a guest had to be cut out of her room.

I called corporate Crowne Plaza twice. They helped a little. Finally, the hotel offered me a discount on my next stay there. I told them I would not be back (they did not understand why). I told them they needed to resolve this. I was not looking to have my entire stay comped (only $223). But some sort of comp for the fact that I didn't get to stay my entire time. And they broke my laptop, to boot. The Asst Manager told me she would speak to the Mgr and he would call me that day. A week later nothing - so I called corporate again and they got me $55 off my hotel bill. Considering that they should have had to pay for a new laptop, they got off easy.

There was just no real acknowledgement that anything had occured. And no one cared.

This is by far the WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE that I have ever experienced. Crowne Point needs to realize that in this day and age, with hotel competition so fierce, and everyone having a voice on the web, that customer service is everything. But they don't get it, and don't care. Sad. Anyhow - don't stay in this place. It's awful.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
8 Thank TB179
Also consider these accommodations in or near Union City
Hampton Inn Union City
Hampton Inn Union City
#1 of 4 in Union City
Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose
Best Western Plus Garden Court Inn
Extended Stay America - Union City - Dyer St.
DoubleTree by Hilton Newark-Fremont
Aloft Silicon Valley
Aloft Silicon Valley
#3 of 9 in Newark

Been to Crowne Plaza Silicon Valley North-Union City? Share your experiences!