“Nothing Special but nothing Bad”

Crowne Plaza Silicon Valley North-Union City
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Union City
Reviewed 2 April 2012

The Crown Plaza was not bad in any way but nothing really jumps out to that makes it stand out. We did get a free beer coupon each day which is nice but as a Platinum Member with Holiday Inn, you expect at least a free cocktail. It is located right over the free-way for a mall which was nice with may restaurants, I would avoid the Rib Joint. I have had moister ribs and steaks at the Golden Corral. But I digress the Hotel was fine, the rooms are a little cramped, they kind of shoe-horn in some chairs that they didn't really need. But the complimentary breakfast was nice except the place is or was each day overrun by tourist buses and most it was like it was these people had never seen a buffet before, but that is not really the Hotels issue.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Silicon Valley North-Union City, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2012

Duck0830,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you were not fully satisfied with the accommodations received. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed 12 March 2012

Although Crown Plaza is known to be one of the more luxurious brands within the Intercontinental Hotels portfolio, it helps to keep price in mind when evaluating a property. THis particular Crown Plaza is modestly priced and in a good location. For Priority Club members, they provide free breakfast, and "welcome drink" vouchers. The reception staff is consistently kind.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the tower, if available.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Normally a Crowne Plaza Hotel is a upsale Holiday Inn or better.
I would have been better if I sept in my Car.
It is Dirty and run down. The pumpling leaks in the bathroom and the bath tub is rusty.
The leaking pumpling keeps the floor washed at least.
The bed is a new type of mattress. 3/4" mattress plywood.
The chair at the desk must have been purchased from the Goodwill it was so lumpy and old.
If you can sleep you wake up early so you can run out of the Hotel and find somewhere else to stay.
DO NOT STAY HERE

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Jay L
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Stayed Aug 28-Sept 4,2011. Encountered broken security door (entire stay), broken outlets in room, super slow or down wi-fi, and algae in pool while we were there. Not to mention that our floors in our room were never cleaned during our entire stay. Understand "green initiatives" but if a floor is dirty it should be cleaned. Everytime i got in shower after walking across floors barefoot, it looked like I had just come in from outside!:(. Close location to get on 880 freeway or BART, and the setting is relatively quiet. Staff was very attentive and polite, just didn't rank as high as other hotels in same chain we have stayed at!

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I traveled to Union City for a friend's funeral and needed a quiet place where I could decompress from all the emotional stress. The Crowne Plaza provided that.

This is not a new facility and it shows in some areas, but it is a step above the average hotel. The staff is very courteous and helpful and the rooms are neat and clean. The room service meals are good, maybe a bit pricey, just try to avoid the soggy french fries.

When I return to Union City I'll stay in the Crowne Plaza.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 June 2011

I have never felt so unsafe in an area with any of my stay's in a hotel. I could not believe the Gang activitiy I witnessed when I arrived. The property looks as though it would be safe when I came off the freeway, but I believe the person being beat up in front of the hotel , should have been an indicator of what I was going to be seeing with this stay. The hotel looks as though it should have been built somehwere else. As I checked in I was thinking about my safety the whole time. The room was ok , but nothing to brag about. I have stayed at better hotels. The major indicator was the hair all over the bathroom floor with soap ! Well enough drama . I went to the front desk and asked for any decent restaurants in the area. I was automatically drilled with " what ? they are all decent" I was suprised with this demeanor. It was like I insulted them !!! I then decided to just get a candy bar at a vending maching with a bottled water. Needless to say they didnt work. At this point I was tired and hungry and not to safe with my surroundings. I decided to go to my car and get a power bar from my SUV. At this point I saw 4 vehicles drag racing down the street !!! I felt like I was in a Fast and a Furious movie !!! I ran to my room and decided to take a sleeping pill and hope I was alive the next day. This Hotel is the worse experience I have ever had in a Crowne Plaza Hotel in my life. I should have just kept driving to another city. Thats what I get for checking out a city I don't know about. This is truly a gang infested city at night. I am sure it looks great during the day. But Like I stated this is not SAFE !!!!!!!

Room Tip: If you like Gang activity after hours !
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 April 2011

I stayed in this hotel with a group and had a banquet event in the facility for a birthday celebration.
I was very welcome by the front desk clerks with a very yummy delicious goodie bag snacks at the desk. The goodie bag was FREE which was so NICE AND AWESOME of them to take care of their guest.
The lobby is beautiful, with new furnitures and marble floor, the rooms were clean with the nice white fluffy duvet blanket and tons of pillow choices to choose from. I love the cute burgundy bag they put on top of the bed that has useful items to help me sleep better. The sash bag had earplugs, a aromatic spray like a febreze to spray on the linens, an eye mask, etc, etc...

I love the fact that i didn't have to pay for Internet in my room! It was FREE!!!! Which is not the same to other hotels which charges by the amount of hours we are online...

The banquet part was the most memorable part of my stay that this hotel, I had a wonderful banquet meal which is different to what I have experienced from other hotels banquet food. The food seemed it was all handmade fresh and presented very nicelly.
The room was very well decorated and my friends and I had lots of fun dancing all night long in their ballroom.

My overall stay at this hotel was EXCELLENT! I'm not sure why I read bad reviews from other people, this is my experience latelly and things must have changed to a LOT better!

Room Tip: Call the Front-Desk for your reservations! =)
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport
Hilton Oakland Airport
Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport

Been to Crowne Plaza Silicon Valley North-Union City? Share your experiences!