“chose this last min”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Super 8 Upper Lake

Super 8 Upper Lake
Super 8 Upper Lake
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Upper Lake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Where do I begin?

We pulled into Upper Lake after drama on the fire roads in the adjacent Mendocino Forest, very late on a Saturday night. Five of us had been on an off road motorcycle ride, ended up leaving two bikes behind due to breakdowns, and used the remaining 3 to get to town. It was hot, it took hours, we were exhausted.

Host Kevin recognized we were a bit frazzled, and made our check in process very quick and easy - we booked 5 rooms and were in them a few minutes after arriving.

We had no expectations, since we were just coming in off the road and needed shelter. But I was shocked to find my room had recently been remodeled with hard wood floors, comfortable new furniture, and an air conditioning unit that worked really well and wasn't really loud and rattly. I was very glad that the room was so nice, and felt bad that my dirty riding gear was defiling it!

There was a pool and hot tub I didn't take advantage of, and near one of the ice machines I noticed a washer and dryer, which is nice to have access to.

But really, I want to talk about Kevin and Krishna.

When we pulled in late at night, Kevin was very gracious and accommodating, and as I mentioned earlier, very expeditious. He suggested we leave the bikes under the carport by the front door and he'd keep an eye on them overnight.

The following morning, Krishna was running the counter, and as other guests shuffled in and out for the complimentary breakfast, it was impossible not to see that we were in some sort of situation, as we only had our riding gear with us, no change of clothes, no toiletries. Nuthin. We sent our 3 buddies on their way, and my friend and I stayed back to recover our dead bikes. We needed some time and space to make a plan, and the morning is ticking away, check-out is soon...

Our phones were dead, but a charger was found, only it was super so short that I couldn't use the phone and charge it, so Krishna offered to help and looked up things online for us. We couldn't find any off road towing to get our bikes, or quad rentals to do it ourselves, and were out of options. It was Sunday and nothing was open.

Krishna then offered to delay the cleaning of our rooms so that we could linger and use the room phones to make calls while the cell phones charged.

Randomly, another couple also staying there heard what was going on, couldn't believe it, and offered to help. There's a really long story here that doesn't pertain to this review, but results in
my buddy staying behind, rescuing the bikes, and this couple driving me all the way home to San Francisco on their way back to the peninsula - Thanks again John and September!

After recovering the bikes, my buddy goes back to Super 8, but gets there after all delivery options are closed, and there's nothing nearby. Kevin is back on duty, gets the desk covered, and says "yeah you're not going to find anything around here" - then offers to take my friend to Carl's Jr a few towns over at 10:00 at night! Himself!!! In the morning, he helped my buddy get to the U Haul, where he was finally able to take it from there.

Here's the thing - by so graciously and impulsively offering us such personal assistance, Kevin and Krishna really took some of the pressure off of our predicament, and it allowed us to clear our heads and make a strategy. The fact that they both took such a personal interest in the well being of their guests is truly the definition of Hosting.

This is the kind of experience usually described as "Concierge Service" by the hospitality industry, and is normally only reserved for luxury/executive level accommodations. We were happy and relieved to have a clean comfortable place to sleep; we were totally impressed with the quality of their operation, and the sincerity of their approach. Certainly not something I was expecting in Upper Lake!!!

I will make excuses to go and stay here again just to support a business like that. You should too. Tell em Big Daddy Dave sent ya!

Thanks again guys! We all got home safe!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Big Daddy D
Lulea, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

It was very clean and had really comfortable beds.
The staff were very friendly.
We will for absolutely stay here another time.
It is near to some restaurants and some antiuques shops that were interesting.

Håkan & Lisa.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hakan1957Buick
Upper Lake
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

I have never had service personnel steal from me before, but when I got back to my room three packs of cigarettes were missing from my suitcase. I'm glad I kept my prescription drugs locked in the car. The car alarm went off late at night so someone did try to get in it. The room was nice, but I will never be back again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Lake Point Lodge ClearLake Oaks
#1 of 1 in Clearlake Oaks
Clear Lake Cottages & Marina
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites

Been to Super 8 Upper Lake? Share your experiences!