“Immaculate and Friendly”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Upper Lake
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Immaculate and Friendly”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

When you see a lot of glowing reviews of a property it usually makes me wonder how accurate they are. But my wife surprised me with a stay at the Tallman Hotel for my birthday and I want to tell you this is going to reinforce those glowing reviews.

Living just a few miles from the property I’ve been there a few times to the Blue Wing Saloon and toured the hotel but never stayed until now. I’m glad I did!

The room that we stayed in is room #9 which has a Japanese soaking tub in a garden outside. The room is really spacious and very comfortable. You have a porch on the front to relax and enjoy any music at the hotel or adjacent Blue Wing Saloon and then a nice little patio in the back that has that soaking tub. The room, the property and everything about it are absolutely immaculate. It’s clear that their housekeeping procedures are very effective and the staff really, really cares about the guests. Not a speck of dust, towels all clean and neatly folded, bed beautifully made. I also own a resort and the attention to detail here is absolutely impressive.

Everything in the room works perfectly and the quality of the supplies and linens are first-rate. Frankly, if you’re in the hotel business you could come stay at this property to set an example for how to run a place - it’s that well done. The Butcher family that owns the place have absolutely found their calling. I believe all this property was renovated 10 years ago but it might as well have been yesterday given the first-rate condition of everything in the room.

The decor in the room fits the vintage hotel without being cheesy or dated feeling at all. Whoever decorated this place should probably have it first on their resume, it’s very tastefully done with a recognition of the past without feeling dated. Nice job.

Perhaps my favorite part of the room/experience was outside in the soaking tub. These are deep wooden tubs that are filled with 98° water. Unlike most spa tubs, you can get your entire self under the nice, still, warm water. If you’re feeling stressed or grouchy this will solve that. These are a nice touch and both my wife and I fit comfortably in the tub and neither of us are small people. Sitting in the tub listening to the birds and watching the trees sway was really a terrific experience. Good bye blood pressure medication, hello Japanese soaking tub!

There is no ‘but’ at the end of this review. There is no “for the money” or anything like that. Bottom line I was really, really impressed with my stay at the Tallman Hotel on every level. The people are nice, the place is immaculate and it is a quality experience. So it’s great if you’re coming to the area to visit or even if you live a few miles away and want to feel like you’ve traveled to a wonderful and different place. Good job, Tallman owners and team members! You’re really setting the bar high and that’s a good thing.

Room Tip: I don't think you can find a bad room based on my experience.
Green Features: The hotel features geothermal heating, solar electricity, an electric vehicle charging station. You can't get more geo than this unless you go totally off grid.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tony B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

The location was perfect for our drive down the coast. Most importantly, the hotel was stunning! The renovations are fantastic. Looks old, but so beautifully modern and well done. Wonderful restaurant and bar next door.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard H
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Everything was perfect. The breakfast delightful, the dinner and dancing at the Blue Wing was the best. Great menu great Monday Night Blues. "Thanks Lynne and Bernie for the memories" You always make everyone feel special. Lynda

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Lyndylew
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I have always wanted to stay here ever since the first time I came across it a few years ago. It is a historical landmark that has been restored. There are different types of room ranging from hotel rooms with old-fashion bathroom fixtures such as a claw tub to suites with a mini kitchenette. We stayed in a Bungalow suite which was upstairs with a private entrance. It had a king in the large bedroom and queen sofa in the living room. The room was clean and the beds super comfy. We had a microwave, toaster, single cup coffee maker and a small fridge about 3 ft tall. They had glasses, wine glasses and coffee cups. A bottle opener, water, and wine to purchase. They had large bottles of shampoo, conditioner and body wash in the shower/tub. The room had 2 cozy robes to wear and purchase. My only 2 complaints were:
The pool was open but not heated yet as it wasn't the season yet. I wasn't told when I asked about the pool that it wasn't heated nor was it skimmed for leaves and bugs the couple days we were there. We did it ourselves. This was a bummer because we had our son with us who loves to swim but even though it was a warmer couple of days the pool was still too cold for him. The Jacuzzi is a outdated but hot.
When we checked in I was greeted with you only reserved the room for 2 people when I reserved it with a person on the phone and they never said anything about the price being different for more people. It was embarrassing to say the least but at least she gave it to is for the 2 person price. The staff was cordial but not overly nice. The owner Bernie we met a few times and he was extremely friendly.
The highlight of the stay was the free continental breakfast which was phenemonal. They had a chef right there to great you. They
had fresh baked scones, fruit
mix, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, oatmeal, toast, cereal, coffee juice, and tea. It was served in a lovely dining room on china.
Overall I would highly recommend the Tallman. Just ask the questions specifically before you go so you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Kristina B
Westport, California
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Upper Lake has not been a destination resort for a long time, but the Tallman is a quiet jewel with an adjacent fine restaurant. The room we had included a fine soaking redwood tub, just bid enough for two friendly people (rms 7-9-11). Some of the snd floor rooms may offer a view of the hills, but the value of this hotel and restaurant is the scarcity of good ones until you reach Sacramento itself.

Anyone heading through hwy 20 will be pleased with the quality of lunch and dinner at the Blue Wing restaurant next door-41/2 stars.

Room Tip: mid-week this town is silent at 9:30 PM-cannot vouch for a week-end, and the bedding is fine though...
Green Features: the private patio with tub was wonderful-though refilling a 200 gallon tub every night might be presumptuous in a drought area.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank falcon f
Upper Lake, California
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Fabulous, one of a kind, rooms. Beautiful antiques!! Great linens, great bathroom fixtures and wonderful and comfortable furnishings. VERY Special place. A must for Valentines Day or Anniversary. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: I've stayed in, and reserved rooms for relatives. three different rooms and they were all very d...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ConnieRainer
Los Altos, California
Reviewed 22 February 2014

My friend and I stayed at the Tallman Hotel in February, 2014 and it was an absolutely lovely little vacation after a busy week working in San Francisco. This is the kind of place I'd choose to visit when I wanted to get away from everything and sleep in, sit by a quiet pool, enjoy gorgeous gardens, eat on the property and completely relax.

The first thing you'll notice is that the hotel has been completely renovated and is in perfect condition. The owners hired a top notch design firm from San Francisco to help with the renovation and the interior decoration, which is extremely tasteful and perfect for the area. I'd love to live in a house that was as well appointed as this spot!

The lighting in the rooms is great. There are reading sconces on each side of the big, comfortable beds and floor and desk lights to make each room cozy and welcoming. The bathrobes are exquisite. Ours hung in a bathroom that featured a restored claw-foot tub, double pedestal sink, and a shower that rained water down from the ceiling of the stall.

There are wide verandas with ceiling fans and comfortable chairs to allow for reading and just sitting. A European-style courtyard between the hotel and the property's Blue Wing Saloon and Restaurant reminded me of streets in Positano, Italy. It was too chilly to sit there in February, but I plan to return in warmer weather.

Breakfast is served in the dining room and is included with the room rate. We had a delicious quiche, homemade scones, fruit, and yogurt. Dinner at the Blue Wing was as good as any restaurant in San Francisco of the casual, fresh and local type. I had a delicious vegetable lasagne and an arugula-grapefruit-toasted hazelnut salad that was big enough to generously serve two.

I visited during a weekend when the Tallman was hosting a "Concert and Conversation" event in its meeting room on Saturday night. This time they featured a folk singer duo, and they were terrific. Tickets were $25 and with that you can have all the homemade brownies and oatmeal-fruit-nut cookies and coffee you'd like. The acoustics were very good and the intimate atmosphere welcoming. It was a very special, relaxed, and wonderful evening.

On the Saturday of our weekend we visited a couple of wineries in the area.

The small downside is that the Tallman Hotel is located in an economically challenged area and its immediate environs on Main Street are not up to the high quality nature of the hotel property. So, I highly recommend you visit this very special jewel when you want to completely refresh, relax and recharge. This is not a place for shopping, which was a happy thing for me because I didn't spend money needlessly on things I didn't need. I will admit that I bought one of the bathrobes because I've never seen one of such high quality for such a reasonable price (and I travel a lot).

Finally, the General Manager and owners are extremely gracious people. They want their guests to love peaceful and beautiful Lake County as much as they do and it shows.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room, but they are different so ask to speak with Susan Mesick the...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Hampton Inn Ukiah
#1 of 15 in Ukiah
Best Western El Grande Inn
WorldMark Clear Lake

Been to Tallman Hotel? Share your experiences!