“Sits on a BEAUTIFUL lake!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lodge at Blue Lakes

The Lodge at Blue Lakes
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Upper Lake
GreenLeadersGold level
“Sits on a BEAUTIFUL lake!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Upon arrival they did not have record of my reservations, just the one I had cancelled via Booking.com (I had to cancel and rebook, because our travel date changed by one day, so when I rebooked I booked directly through their website so I could reserve a lakeside room), but luckily there were vacancies and we were still able to get our lakeside room. My daughter freaked when we entered the room however, due to housekeeping must have left the door opened while they cleaned the room instead of just running the air conditioner and there must have been about 20 flies buzzing around everywhere. I also found a spider in a web above the window and what appeared to be a baby dragon fly back by the bathroom. Plus all along with ceiling were bunches of little knats (or some little flying type insect). I picked up an area magazine laying on the table and started killing flies and ended up squishing several ontop of the bed (that's where they kept landing) and getting bug guts on the top sheet. I went to the front office and the girl came back with me to see the problem and she apologized like crazy and helped me kill the flies. She offered to switch us to another room, but upon entering that one I saw another large spider hanging from the ceiling and flies were buzzing all around that room too. I am sure the problem was because the hot weather brought all the critters out, because it was about 103 that day, so I don't lay much blame on them for this, but housekeeping definetly needs to keep the door closed while cleaning and the rooms should already have the air on so it is not so hot when the guest arrive (of course again they were not expecting us, but still). The front desk girl came back with a dust mop with vanilla spray and after she left I think there were only two very smart flies left - they kept landing on the TV so you couldn't see them or landing on the lamp shade so you couldn't smake them - lol. After she left she sent housekeeping to come change the bug gut splattered sheets - when he arrived he actually asked me "What happened?" Really? Why on earth should it even matter! When I told him what had happened he just laughed it off, so that wasn't very professional. After he left the front desk girl came back and brought my daughter and I a bottle of chilled Apple Cider with two wine glasses and truly apologized for our inconvience, so it is for her PROFESSIONAL manner alone that I rated this 3 stars instead of 2. (Oh and by the way her little boy who is probably about 3 years old was at the property as well - he was so cute - he was watching me as I was filling my ice bucket and I asked him if he lived there (after all I know a lot of places like this the owners live on site, so I just assumed the front desk girl was the owner) and he looked at me like I was crazy and said "NO! This is Mama's work!" It was too cute!!!!!) It was getting late and my daughter and I were starting to get hungry and the closest food location around is about 5 miles away which is a gas station/Carls Jr. We were not hungry enough for a burger so we decided to just get a couple of Lunchables instead. Not that this has anything to do with the rating of this motel, but just BEWARE if you go here to pay through the nose! I purchased two Lunchables, one candy bar for my daughter and two bottles of Coke and my total was $14!!!!!!! Talk about true HIGHWAY ROBBERY came from! Geez! LOL The rooms were very nice (once we killed the insects) but one major downside was the bed by the window set right next to the air conditioner - 1) you had to lay on the bed to actually be able to work the controls and 2) if you leave the air running at night the person sleeping nearest the window is going to have the air blowing on them all night long! - Not a good set up. The following morning I am a very early riser and decided to hang out by the lake and take some pictures while my daughter slept. I noticed the grass was very wet so unless it rained that night I assumed the sprinklers were ran earlier that morning or late last night. I strolled along the dock and over by the gazebo and eating area - it is so peaceful and such a beautiful lake! When I returned to our room it wasn't one minute and the sprinklers came on and soaked everything down again - Thank God I went back inside when I did or my expensive camera and cell phone would have been ruined! They really need to warn the guest what time the sprinklers come on to prevent this from happening, especially when the grass is already soaking wet, because after all that's what you are there for is the beautiful lake and your guest will want to walk on the grass in front of their rooms and on the dock. Breakfast was nice - scrambled eggs, sausage, cereal, fruit, bagels, breads for toasting, OJ, coffee, water, and milk. It was really nice to eat breakfast lakeside with the beautiful view. Note: The rooms are over priced, but you are paying for location here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa F
1Ginger1, Director of Sales at The Lodge at Blue Lakes, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your candid comments. I have shared your comments with our team including the wonderful compliment you gave our Front Desk Manager. It is great that you enjoyed some features of your recent stay, including the hot breakfast and the setting on beautiful Blue Lakes. We appreciated you letting us know of the inconvenience you had during your stay. Please know that our team is here to assist in any way possible during or after a guest’s stay. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Maryann and Peter were wonderful host for our wedding! ! A+ staff from last year to the day after the wedding! We couldn't have been more happier with the place and people! Our family were happy too! Many more memories to come!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Lakeport, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Absolutely beautiful picturesque postcard setting with lake & evergreen mountain backdrop. Amazing hosts with accommodating, professional wait staff. First class service. Wonderful event center for wedding, party, family gathering, BBQ, etc. Boating, swimming, fishing on lake right out your room. Perfectly maintained. Rooms have that country charm, but are impeccable. Full breakfast & kayak included.

Maryann & Peter are the most gracious of owners and are always available to facilitate any need. Very nice people to work with. (Daughter's wedding).

Room Tip: Higher room number closer to lake.
Green Features: Osprey family & nest across lake. Electric power boats.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank nicknmary
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We were very happy with our lake view room. The accommodations were clean, and the service was what made it so nice. The owners Peter and Maryanne are constantly working and cleaning so the place reflects their vigilant attention. I have a few complaints about some of the uncaring guests and day users, but there isn't any control over irresponsible dog owners, and many of the inconsiderate smokers.
The lake is clear and beautiful. Can only imagine what it was like 20 years ago with less traffic on the road and less people.
Will certainly go back again. The gals in the office.......you really made our stay enjoyable!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MichaelandP
Northern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

The sky and lake were blue the day we stayed and the weather a perfect summer morning. We were happy to watch the ducks and appreciated the graciousness of Peter the owner and the seemingly happy gals who work here. It's over-priced, however, for the oldish but nicely decorated 40's size vacation lodging even if the back door at the kitchenette leads directly to the lawn and lake with lounge chairs under swaying tree limbs.

Highway 20 is noisy, trucks use it. My husband said he doesn't understand why tress weren't planted years ago to act as a large screen and noise buffer. The room is clean, though as stated before, no rom for an easy chair or closet, just a rack with about 5 hangers. However, there ARE complimentary bathrobes on two of those, which I totally appreciated even though it left only three hangers for us.

Breakfast is a bit better than the generic franchise way of places like Best Western. Why? Because there was watermelon for one thing. There were sort of ok scrambled eggs, packaged cereal, as in the usual chains with the look of being in the box too long and just duly shoveled out, bagels, white and whole wheat bread, cream cheese and jam in little packets. However, there was actual butter and 1/2 and 1/2 for coffee in those teeny containers that normally offer up an array of chemical milk "product" so that's an improvement. Att least there wasn't the constant blare of a TV in the breakfast room but amazingly enough, a large deck with quite a few tables looking over a, yes blue, lake. There is a decent upkeep to the place and the beauty of the lake I guess is why one pays for what would normally be a room of 1/3 to 1/2 of the price and the generic breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank rosabluecat
San Rafael, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

The only bad thing I can say is I wish we would have found thhis gem sooner! Hidden on hwy 20 in upper clear lake, Relaxing, quite, peaceful, and beautiful location, the room is clean the service is always smiling(Tiffany your an awesome young lady) free breakfast was great, we rented a electric boat and spent some time on the lake. Awesome weekend! Thank you to the Schmid's for a wonderful and relaxing weekend!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank GAnisman
San Pedro, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

The owners, Mary Anne and Peter, were wonderful hosts. Leilani and I will most assuredly be back as we have every year. The lake here is beautiful and so are the boat rides. The resort is pet friendly and places to eat are everywhere.

• Stayed May 2014
#1 of 1 in Clearlake Oaks
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#1 of 7 in Lakeport

Been to The Lodge at Blue Lakes? Share your experiences!