“Birthday Treat”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vista
Cal-A-Vie Spa and Resort
NYC
“Birthday Treat”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Many friends have recommended Cal A Vie. We decided to treat ourselves to a healthy beginning of a new year. Being out of shape and aging we had no idea if we were up to the exercise.We arrived with no idea of what was going on but soon felt comfortable. We stayed in room 32, a beautiful king suite with a living room. My only problem was walking the stairs but I soon learned to walk up the adjoining driveway after a day of working out. The spa provides clothes for your stay, grey champion sweats and shorts, panchos and jackets. Theoretically everyone is supposed to be wearing this but no one did but us hillbillies from New York! We really didn't care but most people wear their designed athletic gear and look great. The spa does your laundry daily so it really doesn't matter. You meet with a scheduler the moment you get there and that person figures out your schedule which is given to you daily at breakfast. Bags and fannie packs are provide to haul whatever you need during the day. There are safes in the rooms for valuables. I didn't realize it till the end but you can hire private instructors at any time if you want one on one training.The instructors are excellent. In fact, the level of excellence of all people in this spa is nothing short of miraculous. There is very little, if any, turn over. Everyone is well trained and professional. The food is my favorite, fresh and delicious. My friend complained that it is not a lot od food but it is more than I normally eat and they modified some things so I could stick to my normal routine.My husband got twice as much food as I did but we were all laughing when we saw how small the muffins were, a culinary treat. This is a place where you are totally pampered and destressed. On leaving it was a litlle shocking to have to take charge again! You exercise all morning and are pampered all afternoon. We had a room with a tv but you can go for the room without one because there is a beautiful great room where you can watch as a family. The place is magnificent: a recreation of Tuscany and the south of France rolled into one. There is an orangerie and a chapel AND a windmill! So , so beautiful and we were informed that you can book the resort for a wedding or private event. There is a boutique and antique store on the property. The guest speakere was informative and cam with a copy of his book for each of us. Our last night was a beautiful demonstration cooking dinner in the Orangerie which was elegant and informative. Everything here is done to perfection. It is quite expensive as spas go but really well worth it. You can do anything you want and everything is taken care of for you. I would highly recommend this spa. I have been to many spas over the years and this was the best by far. My thanks to everyine for getting me back to the gym.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank NC R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I was at Cal A Vie the first week of August this year. Was nervous about going somewhere by myself, never have done that before. I could not have been more pleased. It was the most self-fulfilling trip I have ever taken. The staff is so accommodating, anything you need at any time of day was taken care of. The meals (I was worried about this because I'm a bit of a finicky eater) were all delicious. I was NEVER hungry. And, I don't eat fish so the chef prepared the same dish with chicken instead. Then he talked me in to eating the pan seared halibut and it was delicious! The other women were mostly all very very friendly. As a matter of fact I feel like I made some lifelong friends. Still communicating with at least 5 ladies I met there. I am not one to make friends easily so this is such a nice part of the deal for me. The spa services were wonderful. Another nice thing is that your schedule planners will do everything they can to satisfy your needs and remember that when you get your schedule you can easily go to another class other than what was recommended. I will be doing this trip annually. I can promise you that this resort hardly makes any profits. You can tell because the grounds, staff, trainers, waiters, front desk assistants, etc....are all first class. Don't hesitate if your considering Cal A Vie, it is truly a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: All the rooms were fine as far as I could tell. Quiet and surrounded by beauty!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Dkosborn
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

Beauty everywhere indoors & out. All staff are knowledgable & helpful-a delight! They all go out of their way for you-spa and hotel are of the highest standard. Gorgeous decor and beautiful antiques. No complaints at all!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Rockporter
New York
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I have visited many destination spas over the years and I have to say that this was the very best (as well as the most expensive). But even at that cost, it can't possibly cover their expenses for each guest. Everything was fabulous. They listen to what you want and truly arrange your schedule, room location, meals accordingly. Food is delicious, rooms lovely, bathrooms spacious and well fitted out, beds extraordinarily comfortable. I was in Room 3 because I told them that I could not walk long distances. I loved the classes I attended and the treatments were outstanding. I am very critical of masseurs, but Eric was amazing! Other guests were interesting.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank janelex
New Orleans
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We recently stayed at Cal-a-vie for 4 nights with a large group and it was truly remarkable. Upon arrival you immediately feel as if you've been transported to Provence. The fitness facilities and classes are first rate and the spa services are everything you could hope for after a morning of exercise. I really felt like I had earned my afternoon spa treatments. The fitness schedule and spa services are personally tailored and provided to you each morning. Even though you are provided a schedule, it is flexible and staff are available to make changes for you. And if you choose to stick to the full schedule, they provide for "rest & relaxation" time to stroll the grounds, sit by the pool or peruse th boutique. You tell them at the outset how many calories you want to eat per day and regardless of the calories selected and what they were normally accustomed to, no one in our group ever felt hungry and the food was excellent. We even bought the cookbook! The staff was very attentative yet unobtrusive. It is on the expensive side, however it strikes a remarkable balance of healthy living and indulgence!! Highly recommended for a quiet escape from the daily grind or a jumpstart to a healthier lifestyle!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank dandb10
Orinda
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Cal a vie is in Vista, CA about 42 miles from the San Diego airport. Vista is a stunning location for a retreat. The rooms were lovely and the service was very attentive. You can choose a 3, 4 or 7 day package. The longer the better. There are choices every morning for various exercise classes, or private instruction, starting with an optional hike at 6:15am. The afternoons were spent indulging your body with all the wonderful treatments available. There are some more gentle classes offered in the late afternoon. The grounds are lovely. The food was amazing. The portions are small but you can always ask for more. I never needed to. The meals are very satisfying. This is a place to splurge and enjoy. This is a very small spa, 30 gusts max.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with sunset view.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank nricks
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed 6 December 2012

I have been to most destination spas and this one offers incredible luxury, fantastic food, phenomenal service, fun and innovative classes and great spa services. Beautiful accommodations and incredible furnishings throughout. You feel like you are in Provence. With a staff of about 4 to 1 you are taken well care of and just about any request is never denied. A health and fitness destination that goes above and beyond.

Room Tip: Great for traveling solo, with a friend or significant other!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank JillL210
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vista
Omni La Costa Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,460 reviews
Tuscany Hills Resort
Tuscany Hills Resort
#8 of 16 in Escondido

Been to Cal-A-Vie Spa and Resort? Share your experiences!