“Could be better”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Vista
Tracy, California
“Could be better”
Reviewed 14 January 2009

We stayed at the La Quinta because it was between Legoland and The San Diego Wild Animal Park. Check-in was friendly and easy and the king suite was very roomy. But the fold-out couch was very worn out. There was rope under the mattress in an attempt to replace long lost springs. The rope did nothing to improve the worn out saggy mattress. So we folded the bed back up and my son slept on the couch. (after we had to call down for bedding because there was none in the room).

The nights are chilly even in San Diego in December but we were unable to run the heater because it clanged every time we turned it on.

Monday morning, bright and early, we were awakened by loud voices near our hallway. It seems management has some sort of morning meetings on our floor in one of the king suites.

I will say that we were credited for a night because of the lack of heat.

The staff was friendly and courteous but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 October 2008

I see that the reviews for this hotel have been somewhat erratic, but I have nothing but good things to say about it. I've never stayed at a La Quinta Inn before, so I had no idea what to expect.

At check-in, I was greeted by a friendly attendant who quickly switched my Expedia reservation to a room with a king bed. The room was very spacious, extremely clean, and well-appointed. There was a fridge which would have been helpful had I had a longer stay. The bed was comfortable.

I appreciated plentiful, free parking. It was most helpful to have free wireless internet access. I enjoyed the 10% discount at the adjacent IHOP. The pool area looked nice, though I didn't go there. I enjoyed some fresh bagels, milk, and apple juice from the continental breakfast. And I enjoyed the free local newspaper.

Of specific value to me was the fact that the staff allowed me to come back later in the day and spend several hours in the lobby working on my laptop, even though I had already checked out. And they let me come behind the counter and print out my boarding passes, at no charge.

This hotel isn't very fancy and doesn't offer many bells and whistles, but it offered everything that I needed. And I especially appreciated the graciousness of the staff. If I come to this area again, I'd love to stay here again and am happy to recommend it to others.

• Liked — free parking, free wireless internet access, cheap price, great staff
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2008

I spent one night at this hotel and when I got my credit card statement there were charges for 5 additional nights with outrageous add ons. There were even charges twice for the same day.. When I called the hotel to questioin these charges and ask for copies of the statement for which this charges were made, the women told me that I was lucky she was not going to press charges for the damages done, told me I was no longer welcome there and hung up on me.
I authorized one night stay with a AAA discount to be charged to my card. Who authorized the other 5 nights without my permission. I have in excess of $1000.00 of unauthorized charges to my credit card from this hotel for that stay.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Vista hotels

Ukiah, CA
Reviewed 7 August 2008

The good news is that my room was clean and everything worked. However, when I noticed there were no bars of soap in the bathroom, I went to the desk to say that housekeeping had forgotten to leave soap at the sink or shower. The clerk simply said, "The July 4 weekend caused us to run out." No hint of an apology. Earlier, when I was checking in, I asked the same clerk if she would input my Southwest Airlines frequent flier number, showing her my airline card, and she replied gruffly, "We don't take those here." The next morning, the breakfast was the worst I've seen at any La Quinta (I'm a Gold Level Rewards member) and didn't come close to what was advertised on the La Quinta website for this hotel: no waffles, even frozen ones; no pastries; no yogurt.; no fresh fruit. There was only coffee, a couple kinds of cold cereal, and some bagels. The fruit juice machine had only orange juice, which had not been replenished and was just yellowish water. The coffee was weak. After my trip, I wrote a complaint via the La Quinta web site, telling them what I had experienced, and they refunded my full payment for the night I stayed. This location simply needs new management.

• Liked — clean room, good location
  • Disliked — terrible management
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
Huntington Beach
Reviewed 10 February 2008

We stayed at a La Quinta Inn Old Town an were pleasantly surprised with new everything (read my review) but this La Quinta Inn was the complete opposite.

No refrigerator nor microwave but coffee maker in bathroom.
No new comfy beds but hard uncomfortable beds.
Needs newer TV's.
Hotel is in dire need of being updated inside and out.
Lobby looks to have been updated somewhat but lacks any warmth.
Breakfast was adequate for continental. frozen waffles, fruit, yogurt, coffee, juice, bagels, cereal and toast.
No working spa
Park under windows of rooms like a motel.
It was clean but not spotless. Some grime on bathroom floors and on wall that 409 could have cleaned up.

The only positive was the free WI-fi and that it does share the parking lot with IHop and under the freeway in other direction is Panda Express, Souplantation and a few more places to eat plus Walgreen's. Across the street from Burlington coat Factory.

I would not stay again...I would choose The Hampton's Suites in San Marcos about 10 minutes away instead as it is also near many more newer eateries and nicer area.

Staff was friendly and did their job right.

Stayed February 2008
California
Reviewed 27 December 2007

We had stayed at La Quinta in Carlsbad before,(which is a wonderful hotel 10 miles away) and thought this would be the same- we were wrong. This hotel was $50 less a night- well there is a reason.

This seems to be an older property and our room had cigarette burns in the furniture and a leak behind the toilet which made a big puddle- thankfully we didn't slip and fall. The shower also had a leak. We were moved to another room and the toilet constantly ran. I think that they need to invest in a good plumber.

The breakfast was also a step down from the Carlsbad property- frozen waffles instead of fresh, less selection and a confusing lay out, (refrig not labeled for customer use).

The best part of the hotel is that IHOP shares a parking lot and give 10% off to La Quinta guests.

It is an ok hotel for the money.

• Liked — Staff was friendly. Hotel is near IHOP
  • Disliked — Bad plumbing, not up to par with other La Quinta's
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
Phoenix Arizona
Reviewed 10 July 2007

This motel is a bargain for San Diego. We stayed the week of the July 4th. We needed a hotel that allowed our Engish Bulldog. Not only did they allow the dog but didn't charge an extra fee. The hotel is in a safe location however it is NOT close to local attractions (Sea World, Beach, USS Midway etc). We spent alot of time on the freeway. The room was standard (no frig) but very clean. The staff was helpful. The breakfast buffet was okay. However the woman in charge was rude to several people. Because of it's location, we won't stay here again. However we will use other La Quinta's Hotels.

• Liked — Clean, allows dogs
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vista
Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad
Hampton Inn San Marcos
Hampton Inn San Marcos
#2 of 5 in San Marcos
La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Carlsbad

Been to La Quinta Inn San Diego Vista? Share your experiences!