“Online booked 2 beds nonsmoking, got 1 bed smoking - too bad”

La Quinta Inn San Diego Vista
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Vista
Reviewed 26 July 2010

I booked 2 beds, non-smoking on La Quinta on line site . When arrived at 11 PM with my tired children I found the room had only one bed and my children couldn't breath because it was a smoking room. Plus the room has the old musty smell from cleaning the carpets too many times. The clerk said her screen showed 1 bed smoking and I showed my email says 2 beds, non smoking. She wouldn't help at all and left since there were no other rooms. Drop by the Courtyard in Carlsbad and said most hotels in San Diego county are filled and called many hotels until he found a Hilton for us.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn San Diego Vista

Reviewed 10 April 2010

Do not make the mistake of booking a night's stay at this hotel if you've been spoiled at some of La Quinta other stellar locations , I don't think you'll be very happy here. The best word to describe it would be "dingy". An old building that has not been remodeled in a long time. Features and trimmings are gaudy. Everything from popcorn ceiling to room furniture and bathroom is yelling "low class" and "outdated". I had stayed at several La Quintas before this stay & had become accustomed to a certain level of quality with the hotel chain as a whole. My experience at this location left me sorely disappointed. If you are okay with a slightly better than Motel6 experience, then maybe this is not a bad choice. Otherwise, spend the exra $20 bucks and stay at a decent place the next time you're in Vista. On the positive side, the hotel still offers the staple benefits that make LaQuintas so popular. Beds were comfortable, internet connection was strong, breakfast had an excellent variety & dogs are allowed. 3 stars is an appropriate rating. This hotel is just average- not horrible, but won't impress you either.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 February 2009

Our hockey team from AZ spent booked four nights but checked out early because of numerous issues. Rooms smelled of smoke although they were suppossed to be non-smoking. The rooms were not very clean. Alot of vehicle traffic and people loitering in the parking lot late at night. My children found used condoms in the parking lot. Someone tried to enter our room at 2 a.m.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 January 2009

We stayed at the La Quinta because it was between Legoland and The San Diego Wild Animal Park. Check-in was friendly and easy and the king suite was very roomy. But the fold-out couch was very worn out. There was rope under the mattress in an attempt to replace long lost springs. The rope did nothing to improve the worn out saggy mattress. So we folded the bed back up and my son slept on the couch. (after we had to call down for bedding because there was none in the room).

The nights are chilly even in San Diego in December but we were unable to run the heater because it clanged every time we turned it on.

Monday morning, bright and early, we were awakened by loud voices near our hallway. It seems management has some sort of morning meetings on our floor in one of the king suites.

I will say that we were credited for a night because of the lack of heat.

The staff was friendly and courteous but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 October 2008

I see that the reviews for this hotel have been somewhat erratic, but I have nothing but good things to say about it. I've never stayed at a La Quinta Inn before, so I had no idea what to expect.

At check-in, I was greeted by a friendly attendant who quickly switched my Expedia reservation to a room with a king bed. The room was very spacious, extremely clean, and well-appointed. There was a fridge which would have been helpful had I had a longer stay. The bed was comfortable.

I appreciated plentiful, free parking. It was most helpful to have free wireless internet access. I enjoyed the 10% discount at the adjacent IHOP. The pool area looked nice, though I didn't go there. I enjoyed some fresh bagels, milk, and apple juice from the continental breakfast. And I enjoyed the free local newspaper.

Of specific value to me was the fact that the staff allowed me to come back later in the day and spend several hours in the lobby working on my laptop, even though I had already checked out. And they let me come behind the counter and print out my boarding passes, at no charge.

This hotel isn't very fancy and doesn't offer many bells and whistles, but it offered everything that I needed. And I especially appreciated the graciousness of the staff. If I come to this area again, I'd love to stay here again and am happy to recommend it to others.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 30 September 2008

I spent one night at this hotel and when I got my credit card statement there were charges for 5 additional nights with outrageous add ons. There were even charges twice for the same day.. When I called the hotel to questioin these charges and ask for copies of the statement for which this charges were made, the women told me that I was lucky she was not going to press charges for the damages done, told me I was no longer welcome there and hung up on me.
I authorized one night stay with a AAA discount to be charged to my card. Who authorized the other 5 nights without my permission. I have in excess of $1000.00 of unauthorized charges to my credit card from this hotel for that stay.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 7 August 2008

The good news is that my room was clean and everything worked. However, when I noticed there were no bars of soap in the bathroom, I went to the desk to say that housekeeping had forgotten to leave soap at the sink or shower. The clerk simply said, "The July 4 weekend caused us to run out." No hint of an apology. Earlier, when I was checking in, I asked the same clerk if she would input my Southwest Airlines frequent flier number, showing her my airline card, and she replied gruffly, "We don't take those here." The next morning, the breakfast was the worst I've seen at any La Quinta (I'm a Gold Level Rewards member) and didn't come close to what was advertised on the La Quinta website for this hotel: no waffles, even frozen ones; no pastries; no yogurt.; no fresh fruit. There was only coffee, a couple kinds of cold cereal, and some bagels. The fruit juice machine had only orange juice, which had not been replenished and was just yellowish water. The coffee was weak. After my trip, I wrote a complaint via the La Quinta web site, telling them what I had experienced, and they refunded my full payment for the night I stayed. This location simply needs new management.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vista
Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad
#2 of 5 in San Marcos
Best Western Oceanside Inn
Best Western Oceanside Inn
#7 of 27 in Oceanside

Been to La Quinta Inn San Diego Vista? Share your experiences!