“Great atmosphere, food & staff! A "must go"”
Review of Country Store

Country Store
Ranked #3 of 6 Restaurants in Volcano
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 27 March 2013

When you travel into Volcano, California, save a little room in your tummy for a sandwich & glass of wine at The Country Store. Its a quaint little place right smack dab in the middle of a very little town.
We went to see Daffodil Hill this last weekend and upon driving through Volcano on our way there, we both said, "we have to stop here". It is such a nice little town. Upon coming back, we parked our car outside the post office and walked the short Main Street. There is a couple of hotels, a couple of bars (one with a lot of people & one with no one in it), a country store & post office. When we were harley riders, we would have gravitated to the bar, but we still like looking through the old country stores. Inside there are a few stools in the front but, about 5 tables in the back. The old pizza oven keeps it warm back there, but the conversation is the best.

The wife and I split a chicken sandwich & cole slaw and we opted for a glass of Merlot for $1.75. The sandwich was great & so was the fresh coleslaw! But, to top it off, the owner, Debbie, came over and talked with us awhile. Both her and Sheila are wonderful people. We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch and conversation. Much better than a crowded, loud bar scene for us.

Motorcyclists stop here all the time as the roads are twisty with lots of elevation changes. A bikers paradise. The town used to have a couple of greeters there. One was an older woman who was born there and died there. You can read about her in the Country Store if you sit at the first table on the left. The other greeter was a dog. She self retired at 20+ years old and died. I have included some photos so you can read the placard.

If you ever get the chance to travel through Volcano, stop at the Country Store and tell Debbie that the full time RVers from Saint Augustine, Florida said "hello". Maybe, if your lucky and one of the last customers of the day, Debbie might just bring you a sampling of their bread pudding & banana bread for FREE like she did for us. Awesome!

3  Thank Brad F

Reviewed 26 March 2013

We stopped for a walk through Volcano...I mean, who could drive through without stopping??... We were hungry and when we stopped in to see the inside of the Country Store we realized that they served food and it was just what we needed. One side of the store is an actual store...but half of that is done up in almost a museum quality with a display of antique glass bottles and such. The other side is a full stone building with a fun indoor grill and tables made from old wire spools. The two ladies working the place were delightful...it's kind of a "we'll settle up with you when you're all done" sort of place (because I had picked up some greeting cards from the store side). They had some pretty decent wine (4 varieties) for $1.75 a glass. Yes...I did not make a mistake...though I thought I might be reading it wrong myself. My son and I had corndogs and my husband had a burger...cooked right there in the indoor bbq.
I felt that some of the clientele could be a bit rough...a BIG group of bikers had just driven into town and the ladies were a little overworked but we were chillin' so it was fine with us. One lady went out of her way to come over and show us that there was a special shelf in the room for kids and our son promptly found a puzzle to work on. Just super nice ladies. I'd go back in a heartbeat if we ever drive through Volcano again!

1  Thank ClawMarks
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Wanted to grab a few beers at the Whisky Flat Saloon in Volcano, CA but they weren't open yet. So we got some at the General Store. Pretty well stocked place. They serve food also.

Reviewed 10 January 2013

This little store is a reminder of the Old Days, but has all the modern foods you need for a short stay. Also has a luncheonette and a kick of an owner.

1  Thank humanone
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Convenient and close!! Much needed in our area. Caters to hungry patrons who crave freshly made lunches. Great sandwiches. burgers, soups and salads.

1  Thank Bamboopearl