“An open letter to Mr Eddie Adair, General Manager, Walnut Creek Marriott”

Walnut Creek Marriott
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Walnut Creek
Boston & New York City
“An open letter to Mr Eddie Adair, General Manager, Walnut Creek Marriott”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

Mr Adair,

I'm writing this letter to thank you for the exceptional service I experienced while staying at the Walnut Creek Marriott. I wish I could say that I enjoyed all of the amenities offered by your hotel while on vacation, or that the available business facilities allowed me to stay connected to the office back home. But no, my stay was for a different reason. I unfortunately broke numerous bones in my leg and foot during what should have been a short trip to the Bay Area. Therefore, after my hospital stay, I needed an "Accessible" room to call home while adhering to a strict post-surgery no-fly order.

In total, my time at your hotel spanned ten days, before I was finally able to fly home. During that time, my wife and I were given exemplarary service by everyone at the hotel -- from the staff manning the front-desk, to the restaurant and bar employees, to the housekeeping crew, and even to the maintenance staff.

For example, within the first hour of checking into the hotel, I noticed a high-pitched squeal being emitted by the toilet. 15 minutes after calling the front desk, a service person came to replace the plumbing inside the toilet; we never heard another whine from the toilet again. Soon afterward, we asked for a shower chair for the tub, and sure enough, one was delivered (and even tested in our tub) on short order. The next evening, the lock of our door failed, and again, minutes after making a call, someone was fixing the problem. All of these calls were made after normal business hours, so we were surprised when maintenance personel came so quickly to our rescue.

And speaking of needing assistance outside of normal hours -- because I was prescribed daytime bedrest, the housekeeping staff had to work around my unique schedule. For most of our stay, we had a single housekeeper (unfortunately, I've since forgotten her name) who went out of her way to clean my room in a timely manner, whenever I was able to leave the room on a short break from bedrest. Again, as soon as I called the front desk to let them know we were temporarily vacating the room, the housekeeper arrived to clean the room -- even when it was late in the afternoon.

The same goes for the hotel restaurant. A few times, I arrived for breakfast and lunch after the posted hours, but I was still happily given service by the restaurant staff or the bartender. And you know what? The food was very good. Even my wife was impressed with the quality of our breakfasts and lunches.

At the front desk, Jessica pulled out the hotel's wheelchair for me when she saw me struggling with crutches, and Gustavo was patient enough to walk through my bill in detail and fix several errors. Gustavo even gave us a much-appreciated discount on two extra nights at the hotel after our fly-home date changed.

On the other hand, one aspect of the hotel that I think needs improvement is parking. The Marriott website erroneously states that there is free, on-site parking. In reality, the lot for self-parking is a signficant walk away, and on-site parking is valet-only. Because of the physical layout of the hotel entrance and the road accessways that are blocked off by concrete barriers, when there are more than several parties trying to leave or pick up their cars, valet parking turns into a confusing mess. Fortunately, your staff again came to our rescue. My wife was shuttling back and forth throughout the day between the hotel and our relative's house, where our children were staying, so the valet staff allowed her to leave her rental car in a corner of the valet area such that the car was always at the ready. Also, no parking fees were charged to our bill -- thank you.

Oh, and one other small gripe -- the hotel's internet service (provided by AT&T), was extremely slow, especially in the evening when I'm sure capacity was maxed out. Normally, this wouldn't be a big issue for us, with our mobile-data-capable devices. But cell service in our room (and throughout much of the hotel) was very poor. Our Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile devices settled at 0 or 1 bars of signal strength in the hallways and inside of our room. When we mentioned this to the front desk, my wife was even given keycards to another "Accessible" room on a higher floor to check on cell service there, but it was no better.

All-in-all, I enjoyed my stay at the Walnut Creek Marriott, despite the circumstances that brought me there. I know that past TripAdvisor reviews have not rated this hotel highly, but I can see that the vast majority of the recent reviews are very positive. As the new General Manager, you are certainly doing a bang-up job, as evidenced by the turn in reviews, and as we personally experienced, the outstanding service we received from your staff. Thank you and all of your employees at the Walnut Creek Marriott.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have balconies with sliding glass doors -- nice when you want some fresh air. The...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

I have travelled all over the country for business, staying at dozens of properties. The past 8 mos I have been commuting to the Bay Area (East Bay), spending half of each week at the Marriott Walnut Creek. Without a doubt, in my experience, this property sets the standard for customer service. From Mr. Adair, the GM, to Hollis the assistant GM, to Iris, the evening supervisor, to Adrianna, Cherry, and Marilyn in the Concierge Lounge, to all the gentlemen and ladies at the front desk and valet booth, the goal seems to be to make everyone feel welcomed and at home. Over the past 8 mos, I have stayed in several dozen rooms, all equally clean and appointed. I have never encountered anything less than stellar, thoughtful treatment from everyone...from the valets, to the houskeeping staff, to the front desk staff. The lobby restaurant and bar is exceptional, and the chef prides himself on the most creative and diverse Concierge Lounge menu I have ever experienced. I have just moved to the Bay Area, and am bidding my friends at the Marriott Walnut Creek a fond adieu, but will return to visit Eddie and his wonderful staff for Friday night jazz. If you are visiting the East Bay, DO NOT miss this jewel of a property.

1 Thank hjcosta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

I have traveled frequently on business for over 35 years and the Marriott Hotel in Walnut Creek, CA, easily wins this title. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and quiet. The hotel general manager, Eddie Adair, is everywhere taking care of guests and making sure their stay is enjoyable. Hospitality is a word many hotels claim to offer, but this Marriott staff live it all day, every day. I have never had so many people welcome me back after a day of business with hands outstretched and warm smiles on their faces. This affable attitude rubs off on the guests and I have made a number of friends during my several stays there this year. Returning soon and looking forward to it.

Room Tip: The fitness center and pool are entered on the third floor. More foot traffic, but very convenient i...
Lookout Mountain, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

Nice room comfy bed but towels smelled like burn (you know what I mean). Fresh smelling towels are always a nice experience...not so much when dryer burn smell comes through. They will initially tell you they only have valet parking however there is an option to park a little bit down the block or across the street and self park. I didn't try this out. After I checked in I took off walking toward town after the front desk provided a walking map. It was a little lonely to start with passing all the car lots but after about 15 min. you're surrounded by shops, people and activity. If you go far enough you can make it to Neiman Marcus. I stopped on my way back and got dinner to go at Plearn Thai Palace (see my review) because I like Thai food and it was one of the only restaurants that wasn't packed already at 5:30! I conducted a seminar at the hotel the next morning and had a very nice room with Art the banquet manager helping me in many ways. He was a real delight and extremely attentive! I would recommend asking for a room that is away from the freeway as that's what I had and it was very quiet.

Room Tip: ask for room away from freeway
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

Most all Marriott hotels are good. The Walnut Creek Marriott is a business type hotel. Friendly service is their hallmark. Rooms are nice, like most Marriotts with good work area. Exec. Lounge is nice with even free wine and beer. They have a shuttle that will take you tp BART and other local locations.

Room Tip: Ask for Mt. Diablo view - better and quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RobReno
Ladera Ranch, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

Stayed at the Marriott for 6 hours and 20 mins. Checkin late at night was quick and friendly. Was worried that I'd be there less than the over night fee for mandatory valet and they'd charge me. They didn't. Still overcharged versus the hourly fee, but no big deal. They delivered a refrigerator at no cost! Clean property. Friendly and courteous staff. Over 10 staff people in the lobby to help in the morning. Price is average. Didn't get to use any of the amenities. Great location for Walnut Creek. Internet is not free. $4.95/day for basic. Upgrade to fast was $20.

Palm Desert, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

I stayed two days at this hotel while visiting friends. Everyone at this hotel was warm and welcoming! I love that they are pet friendly and the valet's were so helpful with my dog - getting her in and out of the car. The front desk was wonderful with directions. My room was spacious, quiet, with a large bathroom and desk area. The bed was wonderful. It was one of the best hotel rooms I have been in - just outstanding!

Room Tip: I was on the second floor with a balcony overlooking the lobby. It was actually soothing to hear the...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
#1 of 5 in Pleasant Hill
Hilton Concord
Hilton Concord
#1 of 8 in Concord

Been to Walnut Creek Marriott? Share your experiences!