“Great staff”

Walnut Creek Marriott
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Walnut Creek
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We were in town for a wedding. The staff was great and cheerfully upgraded our room when we discovered our original room's window overlooked the roof and felt like a basement suite. The location was really far away from any of the activities that we wanted to take in, but it was clean, quiet and the staff was very accommodating.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 September 2013

I would like to say that this property is very nice and the staff is very great. William that works at the front desk is the greatest and they always comp my valet parking. The mobile check in works great.

Room Tip: Corner Rooms are the best
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We needed a place for a family stay and have had good luck with Marriott hotels. While OK, there were some things that were less than great.

Pros -
Decent sized room
Clean

Cons -
Location is too far to walk to the nice shopping/dining area (Broadway Plaza) or to BART. I imagine the hotel would be good for business in the area, but it was a poor choice for a family stay.
Parking - Self Parking is a block away, which kind of limited us to Valet, $18/night+tips
Pool - The indoor pool is marginal at best. We had bored kids, and the pool was not much help.
Service - While everyone was nice, we booked the hotel through Hotel Tonight and this confused the front desk staff. Check-in took much longer than it should have while they sorted it out. We were also told they would give us some drink coupons while we waited, but they did not come through.

Overall, I don't see us returning to this hotel when we visit the area.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We were in town for a wedding. Rooms were what you expect from from Marriott, very clean and nicely appointed. What I enjoyed the most about my stay was the courteous and helpful staff. Unfortunately, I was suffering a migraine and there is nothing worse than being sick when away from home. I was so thankful for a cool, clean and quiet room to hide in until I recovered, When I was feeling better, the room service was prompt and the food very good.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

It has been a while since I have stayed at this hotel. I was surprised when I returned to find they did not have self parking available. Only valet = 18.00 a night. Parking is available about 2 blooks away, but I chose safety over $.
The rooms were very good and the concierge floor is secure with code to punch into the elevator. The loung had breakfast, snacks and light dinner available. The first 2 drinks are on the house and they have water, coffee, tea and sodas available. I will definately stay again when I return to the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I travel a lot for work so I'm always staying in hotels away from home! I always look forward to a seamless stay. The Marriott Walnut Creek, Ca rocked my stay! The banquet supervisor ( Art Bhavindhu) was very nice and extremely helpful. It made work so much more pleasurable not to mention I was traveling with my boss for an event and he made sure all went smoothly " Thank You" Art. The Marriott team at Walnut Creek, Ca was helpful from check-in to check-out!I would highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure it was very comfortable and it made staying a few nights away from home more enjoyable:-) Thank you!

Room Tip: Plan ahead and redeem points to get extra goodies to make your stay more enjoyable:-) When I checked...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Mr Adair,

I'm writing this letter to thank you for the exceptional service I experienced while staying at the Walnut Creek Marriott. I wish I could say that I enjoyed all of the amenities offered by your hotel while on vacation, or that the available business facilities allowed me to stay connected to the office back home. But no, my stay was for a different reason. I unfortunately broke numerous bones in my leg and foot during what should have been a short trip to the Bay Area. Therefore, after my hospital stay, I needed an "Accessible" room to call home while adhering to a strict post-surgery no-fly order.

In total, my time at your hotel spanned ten days, before I was finally able to fly home. During that time, my wife and I were given exemplarary service by everyone at the hotel -- from the staff manning the front-desk, to the restaurant and bar employees, to the housekeeping crew, and even to the maintenance staff.

For example, within the first hour of checking into the hotel, I noticed a high-pitched squeal being emitted by the toilet. 15 minutes after calling the front desk, a service person came to replace the plumbing inside the toilet; we never heard another whine from the toilet again. Soon afterward, we asked for a shower chair for the tub, and sure enough, one was delivered (and even tested in our tub) on short order. The next evening, the lock of our door failed, and again, minutes after making a call, someone was fixing the problem. All of these calls were made after normal business hours, so we were surprised when maintenance personel came so quickly to our rescue.

And speaking of needing assistance outside of normal hours -- because I was prescribed daytime bedrest, the housekeeping staff had to work around my unique schedule. For most of our stay, we had a single housekeeper (unfortunately, I've since forgotten her name) who went out of her way to clean my room in a timely manner, whenever I was able to leave the room on a short break from bedrest. Again, as soon as I called the front desk to let them know we were temporarily vacating the room, the housekeeper arrived to clean the room -- even when it was late in the afternoon.

The same goes for the hotel restaurant. A few times, I arrived for breakfast and lunch after the posted hours, but I was still happily given service by the restaurant staff or the bartender. And you know what? The food was very good. Even my wife was impressed with the quality of our breakfasts and lunches.

At the front desk, Jessica pulled out the hotel's wheelchair for me when she saw me struggling with crutches, and Gustavo was patient enough to walk through my bill in detail and fix several errors. Gustavo even gave us a much-appreciated discount on two extra nights at the hotel after our fly-home date changed.

On the other hand, one aspect of the hotel that I think needs improvement is parking. The Marriott website erroneously states that there is free, on-site parking. In reality, the lot for self-parking is a signficant walk away, and on-site parking is valet-only. Because of the physical layout of the hotel entrance and the road accessways that are blocked off by concrete barriers, when there are more than several parties trying to leave or pick up their cars, valet parking turns into a confusing mess. Fortunately, your staff again came to our rescue. My wife was shuttling back and forth throughout the day between the hotel and our relative's house, where our children were staying, so the valet staff allowed her to leave her rental car in a corner of the valet area such that the car was always at the ready. Also, no parking fees were charged to our bill -- thank you.

Oh, and one other small gripe -- the hotel's internet service (provided by AT&T), was extremely slow, especially in the evening when I'm sure capacity was maxed out. Normally, this wouldn't be a big issue for us, with our mobile-data-capable devices. But cell service in our room (and throughout much of the hotel) was very poor. Our Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile devices settled at 0 or 1 bars of signal strength in the hallways and inside of our room. When we mentioned this to the front desk, my wife was even given keycards to another "Accessible" room on a higher floor to check on cell service there, but it was no better.

All-in-all, I enjoyed my stay at the Walnut Creek Marriott, despite the circumstances that brought me there. I know that past TripAdvisor reviews have not rated this hotel highly, but I can see that the vast majority of the recent reviews are very positive. As the new General Manager, you are certainly doing a bang-up job, as evidenced by the turn in reviews, and as we personally experienced, the outstanding service we received from your staff. Thank you and all of your employees at the Walnut Creek Marriott.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have balconies with sliding glass doors -- nice when you want some fresh air. The...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walnut Creek
#1 of 8 in Concord
HYATT house Pleasant Hill
HYATT house Pleasant Hill
#1 of 6 in Pleasant Hill

Been to Walnut Creek Marriott? Share your experiences!