“Stay Here!”

Walnut Creek Marriott
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Walnut Creek
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I have several favorite Marriott hotels, but my stay at the Walnut Creek Marriott was over the top great. From the General Manager, the Operations Manager, the front desk staff and attendants in the concierge lounge, I could not have had a nicer week. They just know how to take care of guests. I will go out of my way when I am in the Bay Area to stay here as often as I can.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Walnut Creek Marriott

Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

During my stay there were major issues associated with various aspects of the hotel. My stay was a quick two day, one night turn around for a brief business conference. When I booked my room approximately a month earlier I requested no feather down comforters or pillows due to allergy reactions. Of course my room was not ready upon my arrival. After a 1/2 hour wait, the front desk later told me that my room was ready. Upon entry into my room I found that the bedding in question had not been pulled down or changed out. I was also told that my luggage would be in my room....it was not.

Due to some early arrivals with my employees, some of the luggage was locked away in a "secure" room of the hotel until rooms were ready. It was later found that a fellow employee had her wallet stolen out of this "secure" room. The wallet was later located in the restroom of the hotel lobby. All money and gift cards were missing. This room that was "secure" was supposedly accessible by employees only.

Hmmmmmm

We continued on with our two day meeting at the hotel with out any other quirks. At the time of check out, all of my fellow employees luggage was to be loaded in their cars by hotel/valet workers. It was later found that the hotel employees mixed up the luggage and placed the wrong luggage into the wrong valeted vehicles. My employees would actually receive their car with someone else's luggage inside. The major issue was that another conference had concluded at the same time as ours which may have caused confusion. What's scary is that the vehicles were loaded with a complete strangers luggage. I later received notification from one of my employees that they were in possession of a black bag that did not belong to them. At this point my employee was already hours away from the hotel. This hotel has major issues that need to be dealt with before I would recommend or stay again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Angel0022
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Seems like management understands how to treat special guests. Wine in the lobby - hot items in the executive lounge, etc...

Very friendly staff - just needs some work in the hotel itself. Nothing glaring to point out, just in need of a deep cleaning and a sprucing up.

It's a little weird the internal rooms overlook the lobby - but I guess that's not unheard off, but more akin to an embassy suites or something. I missed waking up to natural light.

The breakfast lounge was nicely appointed although to get to the floor required a secret code that I kept forgetting to enter when i got in the elevator

Would definitely stay here again as the staff made the stay worthwhile and it's definitely more affordable than anything across the bay!

Room Tip: Ask for a external room to get natural light.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 December 2013

One of the best Marriott's I've ever stayed at. I'm a Platinum member and travel both domestically and internationally quite often for work. This is one of the best Marriott experiences I've ever had. I checked in last minute and they were easily able to accommodate my stay. The lobby was beautiful and even had a wine tasting setup which was nice after a long day of stressful holiday traveling.

The front reception is on top of their game and is willing and fully capable of helping you in any way. The beds are extremely comfortable. This hotel also offers a shuttle which is a nice feature since there are some great restaurants close by but a little too far to walk in the winter. I will choose to stay at this hotel on my next trip to the Bay b/c the experience is reliable and top notch.

p.s the gentlemen working 12/26 PM shift were really great. I had an awful day and they turned it around by just being easy to work with and offering me a glass of wine. Kudos to you guys!

Room Tip: the 6th floor is great, real quiet
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This is actually a pretty decent Marriott. Even though I only stayed here for one night, it was really comfortable and I especially enjoyed the buffet breakfast at the restaurant.

Nonetheless, the issue I want to address with is the service of this particular establishment. Since I'm a Marriott Platinum member, I am offered a choice of either an amenity gift or 500 Marriott points, to which I picked the latter. Weeks later, the points have not been posted, so I contacted the Walnut Creek Marriott, to which they not only immediately posted the missing points, but generously promised me an extra 10000 points for my troubles. So problem solved, right?

No, because it has been more than a month since and I have not heard a word back from them. I have, since then, wrote back one more time inquiring the status of this offer, but again, no reply.

There were also minor problems at check-in. I was not offered nor explained to any breakfast options (Platinums are eligible for free breakfasts at certain Marriott establishments); it was only after a second visit to the check-in desk that I was offered two breakfast coupons at the restaurant. So if I have not inquired an second time, I wouldn't have been offered breakfast.

I wouldn't have minded so much normally since the amenity points problem was fixed almost right away. At first I thought the 10000 points was an extremely generous offer; however, it all seems like some cruel joke now that they have not replied to me since. If they don't want to give me 10,000 points, it's fine; just don't offer it to me in the first place.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Katherine Y
Eddie A, Manager at Walnut Creek Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Katherine-

I am truly sorry that we failed you twice and I assure you that this is not the way we conduct our business here at this hotel. We are in the people business and do make mistakes and the points that were promised to you will be added if you would be kind enough to send me your rewards number to Edward.adair@marriottwc.com or call me at the hotel direct (925)927-1100

Reviewed 23 November 2013

The hotel was nice and clean. Just a short walk to the BART station. The staff was friendly and there are a few food options right outside the hotel if you choose not to use room service or the hotel restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trh4
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I have a mixed opinion of the Marriott Walnut Creek hotel – following my third long term (five-plus day) stay at this hotel.
Pros: The staff is extremely friendly – perhaps the friendliest I have experienced in years of national/international travel. The concierge lounge is on par with other Marriott lounges. The location is good – easy driving distance to north or south 680, west 24, and close to the Walnut Creek BART station. Also close walking distance to Walnut Creek’s central shopping district.
Cons: I had to ask for my sink and bathtub drain to be plunged as they wouldn’t drain properly. A few days later the tub still didn’t drain properly. I, for one, can’t stand showering in three plus inches of water!
A year ago when I stayed here concierge club members (Marriott Gold or Platinum) got two drinks while in the lounge but now you only get one. (Note – the nice lady that manages the lounge at night, whose name I have inadvertently forgotten, is amazing and offers exceptional customer service).
Furthermore, a year ago parking was free but now it costs $19 a night – or $23 if you tip appropriately at $2 for pick up and drop off.
The new lobby and hotel bar look nice – but now that I know how they’re paid for (lack of hotel maintenance, fewer drinks for elite members in the club lounge, and increased parking fees) – I can do without and will definitely look elsewhere for my next stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 6 in Pleasant Hill
Hilton Concord
Hilton Concord
#1 of 8 in Concord

Been to Walnut Creek Marriott? Share your experiences!