“hotel is fine, but parking inconvenient!”

Walnut Creek Marriott
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Walnut Creek
san francisco, ca
“hotel is fine, but parking inconvenient!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2009

The hotel itself was clean + shiny, but the free parking lot was a 10 min. walk away under a highway ramp (not very inviting), and did not seem monitored at night. If you want to park at the hotel, you pay for valet. For this reason, I would not recommend this hotel. Not so fun to lug your bags across 2 crosswalks. 5-10 min. drive to lots of different shopping areas, from kohl's type to fancypants (coach, bcbg, etc.).

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2009

My stay was absolutely amazing. I started my stay at Holiday Inn in concord. After two nights of terrible service and below standard rooms, I packed up and moved to the Marriott. This move in the middle of my business trip was very upsetting as I could not affored the time it took to move but I could no longer stand the poor service and amenities. My experience completely changed as I arrived at the Marriott. The young men who greeted me in the parking lot were absolute gentleman. They immediately insisted on helping me with my luggage and any thing else I may need. My check in was easy and effortless, the bell hop who walked me up to my room made great conversation and insisted on helping by placing my very heavy bags in my closet and out of the way. The smiles and warm greeting I received throughtout were just what I needed after a very stressful two day at the Holiday Inn. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better I proceeded down to the front desk to get directions to the 680 North on ramp for the next morning. As I stopped for water on the way there (delicious fruit filled iced water) I noticed a flyer placed next to the water with the very directions I was needing. I smiled and followed the sound of a piano playing only to be greeted by a lovely piano player and complimentary cheese and crackers. The Marriott is doing everything right. I stayed in the lounge for abour two hours just enjoying the atmosphere and ambiance. The Marriott made my first visit in Walnut Creek an extreme pleasure.

Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Sacramento, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2009

This was a $53 priceline win on a one night stay for a one night layover before a business appointment the following morning.

The most consistent gripe that everyone seems to have with the Walnut Creek Marriott would be the parking. And unfortunately, I can't bring myself to disagree. While the hotel itself is conveniently located, it's completely unreasonable and excessive to force valet for $16 a night here. At a minimum, they should optionalize the Valet service and open their garage to everyone. I utilized the off-site parking, which I would probably describe as no more than a block away, and about a five minute walk to the lobby. While I appreciate that it's offered, and is indeed free, it's most certainly not somewhere I would feel safe and sound leaving my car for a long period of time.

Check-in was simple, quick and friendly. My room was clean, but oddly designed. The view from my window could only be described as strange. My window was apparently in between where the ceiling for the atrium meets the roof. So I had a small, partial view of the atrium and a small, partial view of the sky, with a gigantic black beam in between. The bathroom was nice enough, with lots of free bath products. The shower was nice and clean, but the water temperature was terrible. The warmest I could get it would only be described as "mildly warm" at best. As for the bed, I just didn't find it to be very comfortable. There's plenty of pillows, but the linens and mattress just weren't that great.

I went down to the restaurant to get something to eat, and found myself one of the only people there. The hostess/server was rude and very brief with me. I ordered what turned out to be the strangest looking chicken ceasar salad i've ever eaten, and i've eaten a lot of them. Not only did it look strange, but it tasted horrible.

Overall, the hotel has a very clean feel to it overall, but even with that said, the whole experience unfortunately just had a lot of negatives to it. I would not return, especially if the parking situation is not corrected.

• Liked — Cleanliness, rooms were well insulated, friendly checkin staff
  • Disliked — Valet parking requirement and high price is absurd, terrible restaurant
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2008

Easily one of the worst Marriott's I have ever stayed at. The hotel is RIGHT next to a construction site. Every morning, I would be thrashed awake by the sound of a hammer.
Front Desk staff was "OK".
Valet seemed to be a bunch of hoodlums, and I did not trust them with my car.

Terrible stay.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank CMTDMain
Pleasanton, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2008

We decided to have a weekend getaway for our 39th wedding anniversary. We usually stay at the San Ramon Marriott but decided on Walnut Creek because of it's great shopping and restaurants.
The hotel was ok, but nothing great. I had called on the morning of our arrival date asking if we could possibly have a room with a nice view of Mt. Diablo and S., the desk clerk said she would see what she could do.........apparently not much!! Our room overlooked a roof with air conditioning units and wires. Also, just an FYI for future visitors, a new wing has been built but not furnished yet, and our window looked right into those rooms. We were on the top floor in room 671.
The room was well appointed with beautiful bedding, carpeting and the bathroom was lovely with granite countertop.
The air did not work well, it was either freezing or warm.
We had dinner the first night in the hotel because we were tired and the food was ok, nothing extraordinary.
The hotel does have a shuttle van to take you in to downtown Walnut Creek. It did not come to pick me up one afternoon after I had called from downtown and my husband had to get the car out of valet to come get me; but we did use the shuttle to go out to dinner one evening and that worked out fine as far as drop off and pick up when we called to return to the hotel.
All in all it was just an average hotel and San Ramon Marriott is definitely prettier and more comfortable and worth staying at and just driving in to Walnut Creek to shop and dine.
We will not return to the Walnut Creek Marriott again.

• Liked — Nicely appointed room
  • Disliked — Looking out the window at rooftop airconditioning units, wiring and pipes
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Grand Ledge, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2008

We spent one night here for a conference before moving to the Sir Francis Drake in San Francisco for the remainder of our trip. Overall, the value was pretty tough to beat. I would reccomend this hotel. Be forewarned that the temperature in Walnut Creek and the temperature in San Francisco can be over 30 degrees different. It was 105 when we were there when it was 72 in San Fran on the very same day.

The good: a very clean hotel and room; relatively spacious rooms; nice amentities; good size bathroom; food; conference support staff; valet parking was not super expensive $13 vs. $45 in San Fran; refrigerator brought to our room upon request.

The not so good: view from the room was of scafolding and no view of anything worthwhile; despite request for featherless room our comforter was down.

The bad: nothing

• Liked — Price.
  • Disliked — Did not honor Marrior Rewards profile request of featherless room.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
seattle, wa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2008

Every time I stay here, there's some major problem. I'm not talking about small annoyances or personal preference issues-- I mean major problems. First time, the valet parking smashed up my car (I posted a review in 2006). Luckily it was a rental and I had signed up for the insurance! Second time, I woke up with the worst back pain of my life due to the ridiculously soft beds. This time, after a late arrival, I went immediately to bed. A couple hours later, in the dead of night, I woke up shivering. Although I had set the room thermostat to 75 degrees, a cold wind was blowing steadily from the vent. I reset the thermostat to 80, but no luck. I tried turning the thing off, no luck. I finally buried myself under two beds worth of comforters, and managed to sleep. By morning, the temp in my room was 55! A call to the front desk brought up a maintenance guy, who remarked that some of the a/c units are busted, and they'll often just pull the valves to give either all hot or all cold air, depending on what kind of complaint they get. Anyway, the maintenance guy was helpful, and promised to actually repair the unit during the day (which he did, the second night the thing worked fine). What's left to say, the place is subpar even without the major issues. At a price around $150, at least give me a refrigerator. At least give me a lot to park my car without having to use the valet. At lest give me free internet hookup. I mean, aren't these standard items at most quality hotels? The other reviews here tell the story. It's not a dump or anything, but for a Marriott and for the price paid, I expect a higher standard.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank tinadam
GUESTFEEDBACK, DIRECTOR - SALES & MARKETING at Walnut Creek Marriott, responded to this review, 24 June 2008
We appreciate this guest's comments, and we are reaching a higher standard with our hotel. We have just finished a multi million dollar renovation that includes all of our guestrooms, and replacing those a/c units that did not always function properly. We have purchased a satellite parking lot that is a block from the hotel for those guests who want a self parking option. That parking lot should be available for use by late Summer. We also do get many positive comments about the comfort of our new beds.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walnut Creek
#1 of 5 in Pleasant Hill
Hilton Concord
Hilton Concord
#1 of 8 in Concord

Been to Walnut Creek Marriott? Share your experiences!