“Not what I was expecting from Marriott”

Walnut Creek Marriott
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Walnut Creek
Reviewed 16 September 2010

When I travel for business, I usually stay at Marriott Hotels because I accumulate points on their rewards programs, and their facilities are relatively consistent.

This hotel in Walnut Creek did not meet my consistency expectations.

First off, they down graded me to a room with twin double beds. I was expecting a king. If I knew this was going to happen I would've picked a different location.

Second, they do not have enough parking, so given no other choice, I was forced to use their valet service which will be coming out of my own pocket FAIL!

Third, when I got up in the morning, I had to get online and do some things for work. Their AT&T wifi service is terrible. I was getting less than 500kbps speeds which is not acceptable for something I'm paying extra for! To make matters worse, the cellular reception is terrible a the hotel, so I was forced to use their phones, and I could not use my 3G Modem.

Overall, very dissatisfied with this location.

I forgot to mention that when I spoke to the manger, he seemed very lackadaisical about my concerns.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 27 August 2010

I had to block a whole bunch of rooms because I had a wedding in Alamo, not too far from Walnut Creek. I needed a clean, nice, but reasonably priced rooms for my wedding guests that traveled far or planned on drinking. The salesperson I worked with was really nice and easy to work with (despite my very last minute request!). The rooms were pretty standard for Marriott. The service was great. They actually brought us a portable fridge to our room when we told them that we had some perishable food. Very nice of them.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2010

Good location in Walnut Creek with easy access to roads into Sonoma to the north, from Yosemite to the southeast, and to San Francisco as well as quick acces to BART into the city. Parking was free, although on a busy weekend night some of our party arrived back to the hotel too late to park onsite and the alternate parking was approximately half a block away. Although apparently safe, my sister and her girlfriend expressed concern about walking that distance if they had been alone. On both nights we stayed, we were able to self-park onsite in the attached garage; on the second night we obtained one of the last parking spots in the employee section of the garage since our rental car was small enough to fit into a somewhat tight space. We were directed to the space by one of the Marriott parking lot staff. From that person, to the front desk, to the bar staff, the Marriott personnel were professional and made our two night vsit very pain free and easy. The room was fairly large, clean, well-furnished, with a nice kingbed and flatscreen tv. There was no free internet, however. Overall, we could find little fault with the hotel. It was a great stay using the room as a base from a Friday evening through a mid-Sunday checkout to visit different areas around Walnut Creek.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2010

Friendly, efficient staff, nice lobby. Clean room ,very nice bedding. Pleasant walk to downtown, with nice selection of restaurants and shops. Very close to BART. Parking not a problem, and we had two cars. Wifi access costs 10 dollars a day. All in all, I enjoyed my stay

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank timidtravelerUs
Reviewed 21 February 2010

The Marriott Walnut Creek was very nice when we stayed. It offered a very comfortable room and was very convienently located in Walnut Creek. They had a pool & spa and restaurant.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stockton95207
Reviewed 16 February 2010

We stayed for one night. There were no parking issues, so that must be fixed. (There was a nice self-park garage attached to the hotel.) We paid an extra $25 for breakfast for two. It was a better than average buffet that costs $14 on the menu. Very good, but not great. We LOVED that they shuttle you within three miles. We had them drop us off downtown so we could shop and have wine. It was fun. Driver was very helpful. Room was fine. As others have posted, this is not the top of the line Marriott, but it definately has the Marriott feel to it. The only real issue we had is that the shower head was mounted too low and there wasn't much water pressure. We had a nice stay though and would go back.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lovingsonoma
Reviewed 11 January 2010

I read the reviews about this hotel after I "named my own price" on Priceline. Let's just say I wasn't looking forward to the ridiculous parking situation. When I arrived at the hotel I was surprised to find out that they were offering onsite self-parking minus the valet fees and inconvenient 5 minute walk to their off-site location. Besides that, the stay was great! Friendly staff, great location and clean rooms.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
#1 of 6 in Pleasant Hill
Hilton Concord
Hilton Concord
#1 of 8 in Concord

Been to Walnut Creek Marriott? Share your experiences!