Embassy Suites by Hilton Walnut Creek
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Walnut Creek
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Meh”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We usually love Embassy Suites hotels but this one failed to impress. We called ahead about getting a good room (high floor/away from Bart) and the person on the phone said if we came early we could check in even if the room wasn't available. So we drove 35 minutes before the Oakland A's game we were going to see that afternoon to "check in" early to get a good room. When we go there early we were told we could not check in early and they didn't give us a room assignment. So we wasted 35 minutes x 2 before the game. When we came back after the game they said that they gave us our request (high floor) and assigned us a room on the top floor. The kids were happy about that but when we got to our room it was clear that this was a smoking room. It reeked of smoke and it was directly over the BART track. I was just getting over a cold and after 10 minutes my sinuses were burning so I had to ask for a room change. The family was disappointed and upset. They were just ready to kick back and relax and didn't want to move rooms. Luckily they switched our room without issue and the new room was better and didn't smell of smoke. Finally we went down to the managers reception which is something my kids usually look forward to at Embassy suites but it failed to impress. Instead of fixing the kids sodas in real glasses they had cheap plastic cups with pitchers of watered down soda. The snacks were picked over and not replenished. We went out for dinner at a sushi restaurant nearby that was okay but when we got back to the room the blanket for the pull out sofa was really damp and we had to request another blanket. But the worst part of the stay was the breakfast the next morning. They were not prepared to serve the number of people staying at the hotel. It took 45 minutes of standing in lines to get breakfast. It was complete chaos. At one point the staff closed off the toast/cereal/fruit room to clean and restock for 10 minutes and allowed nobody to enter. It was not the fault of the staff who was working hard to keep up. There was just no way that they could handle the number of people who were going to eat breakfast that morning. I heard the staff telling people it was bad timing, that everyone came at once but they said that the lines were the same for two hours. It is not worth it. I would rather pay for the drinks the night before and breakfast the day of rather than deal with chaos.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Shahid A, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Walnut Creek, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest, thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. We take our guest's comments very seriously. We strive to provide the best possible customer service and are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations.

Shahid Ali

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
United States
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Great service, professional staff, and rooms were very clean. I would recommend this hotel in Walnut Creek, CA. Only bad experience was parking gargage was not monitored, so my husbands bike was stolen.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Dear Deidre - thank you for the five star review! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay. Unfortunately, management was not made aware of the stolen bicycle. We would have immediately investigated that situation. We hope that when you are in the area visiting you will choose Embassy Suites.

Sacramento, United States
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We were in town for a lacrosse tournament on Treasure Island and decided to stay here for the night. The rooms were great and the made to order breakfast was awesome. Fresh fruit, cereal, pastries, etc.We would definetly stay here again, only 20 minuites or so to S.F.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Shahid A, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Walnut Creek, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Hi Jason - thank you for your review! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and our complimentary breakfast! It is a great way to start your day. We hope to welcome you back the next time you visit the area.

McAllen Texas
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

My only complaint was that my room had been heavily smoked in prior to my arrival and I require a smoke free room ( this room is labeled as smoke-free) ...Allergies, preference... Whatever...
The smell of stale smoke absolutely gags me.
I brought it to the attention of the front desk three separate times. The front desk was Always a ray of sunshine with the exception of the fact that after the third request for help I was still in the same stinky room.
Each time they sprayed the room down with some sort of perfume...
I stayed for a week.
Every evening when I opened the door and walked into my room, I was hit with that wall of stale nasty smoke. ( you might have guessed by now that I am a reformed X smoker which is probably the worst kind )
The hotel itself is amazing
Comfortable beds, spacious rooms, clean bathrooms, fantastic housekeeping, wonderful made to order breakfast and a great managers reception in the evening.
The stink factor made every evening here rather hard to face.
Mornings were okay because I'd seen to acclimate to it but after being in a smoke free environment for the rest of the day... Coming " home" was way to hard.
I must add this little caveat, my first attempt to submit this didn't go through due to wifi.
The wifi here needs a great deal of umph. It's very difficult to work online with the internet in the hotel.
I regret to say that I won't return to this property.

Stayed August 2014
Shahid A, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Walnut Creek, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for sharing feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. We apologize for the unpleasant smoke smell you encountered, as we strive to provide quality accommodations for each of our guests. I have shared your feedback with our housekeeping team, and we are actively taking steps to make it right by freshening our guest rooms and common areas. I appreciate your time in reviewing our hotel. I look forward to seeing you during your next visit to the area.

Merced, California
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Loved: the atrium, Koi pond, complimentary Manager reception in the evening, the complimentary breakfast with choice of buffet or cooked-to-order food, nearness to location of the reason for our trip, and the atmosphere. Very good suites, comfortable, minimal outside noise, and very helpful staff. Would stay again if in the area.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Shahid A, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Walnut Creek, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Hello Roy and thank you for the nice review. We are very proud of our beautiful tropical atrium and all of the other complimentary amenities our hotel has to offer. We welcome you back any time!

Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I've stayed at the Embassy Suites Walnut Creek twice now, both times on business. Each time, the front desk check-in process has been seamless, and the staff are welcoming and friendly.

I've ordered room service for dinner both times I've stayed here, as I've arrived late from the east coast and have just been too tired to dine in the restaurant. Is it weird that I really enjoy their pizza on the room service menu? It's soooo cheesy! Yum! The small pizza is a reasonable size (each time, I have leftovers that I end up eating for breakfast after heating it up in my in-room microwave) at a reasonable price. Keep in mind that the gratuity is already built into your room service bill, too.

Embassy Suites in general all have the same lobby, atrium, and room layout, and I really enjoy the serenity of the foliage they maintain around the common areas and the spaciousness of the rooms themselves.

My only real complaint is that they charge for WiFi. This should be complimentary in this day and age. I travel about 16 weeks per year, and it's rare that I must pay for WiFi anymore.

As long as the price is right, I will continue to book Embassy Suites, and this specific location in Walnut Creek when I have business to take care of there.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Shahid A, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Walnut Creek, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest! Thank you for the wonderful review of our hotel. We always appreciate our guest's feedback. Our beautiful tropical atrium has comfortable seating and a beautiful koi pond for those guests who enjoy a quiet place to converse with family and friends or to just enjoy a good book! We will let the staff know that you loved the pizza! We hope that when you return to the area from Florida, you will choose Embassy Suites.

Del Mar, California
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights last week. We'd read some comments regarding poor reception to guests traveling with service dogs at other Embassy Suites we found the exact opposite to be true at this location. In fact we had one of the most pleasant exchanges we've ever experienced at a hotel. When coming down to breakfast one morning we found that the outside patio we'd enjoyed on previous days was wet with dew. Ted Kapsalis, Director of Food and Beverage for the hotel, overheard our conversation and made it a point to welcome us to sit wherever we would like. While the company is required to grant access to service dogs in the same areas that the general public are welcomed, the genuine interest Mr. Kapsalis expressed in making us feel we were valued guests cannot be over emphasized (not always the case at other businesses). He opened the lounge area, where we enjoyed a very pleasant breakfast, along with other hotel guests. He spent some time chatting with us.... what a thoroughly charming man. We wish Mr. Kapsalis all the best and compliments to Embassy Suites for recognizing true quality management talent.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest, we are very pleased that our hotel staff, especially Ted Kapsalis, were so responsive to you and your family's needs. We very much appreciate your comments and will make sure our entire staff reads your review. We hope that when you are visiting the area again, you will return to stay with our hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Walnut Creek
Hilton Concord
Hilton Concord
#1 of 8 in Concord
Lafayette Park Hotel & Spa

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Walnut Creek? Share your experiences!