“Good food but not much else to recommend it”
Review of House of Sake

House of Sake
Ranked #53 of 297 Restaurants in Walnut Creek
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 15 February 2013

This was close to where we live, so we tried it. The food was good but not great. The atmosphere was OK, also not great. Since the name was "House of Sake", we thought there'd be more variety of sakes offered---but not so much. After we tried another local Japanese restaurant that had great food, we probably won't be back to this one.

There are newer reviews for House of Sake

Reviewed 28 December 2012

The food was ok, just ok. The ambiance was lacking badly. Sat at the sushi bar and looked toward the wall where there are three random decorations. One is a painting of a duck on an otherwise blank wall. It looks sad. The others are two sticks running the length from the back counter to the ceiling with a couple starfish glued to them. Also sad and tacky. Place has been there for a while, could use an update and some style.

Reviewed 28 August 2011

I never cared for sushi until my husband and I started eating at House of Sake on a somewhat regular basis. We haven't had a bad meal yet. I am now completely hooked on sushi. The staff here are friendly, the food is served quickly, and the dishes are beautifully prepared and tasty. Also they have a big parking lot which is an issue when dining out in Walnut Creek. Many of the reviews for this restaurant are pretty old, I highly recommend people giving this place a chance.

Reviewed 14 November 2010

Been going to House of Sake for 20 years the new owners have been making changes.
Sushi is now thin slices. Have cheap thousand Island dressing on the salad.
No reason to ever go back.

Reviewed 30 December 2009

Oh boy! This has been one of my favorites for years...always coming in for the Godzilla Roll...and we had a party there recently. Happy Birthday...over the top!
Semi busy for a Monday night. Friendly greetings at the door. Seated after a short wait...had to have the back table.
Amos, our waiter, brought our water, edamame and first course of Japanese beer and sake. Several varieties of both are available BTW.
We did sake bombs...a Japanese twist on the boilermaker with rantings and ravings in Japanese and new cocktail/taste sensation.
Sushi arrives...several different varieties and rolls. Never disappointing with the fish giving the aroma of the ocean!
We failed (7 of us) in doing the sake slammer. This is a coordination test/game where one attempts a quail egg drop into a sake bomb. That was the only failure of the evening. I look forward to my next visit!