“Surprised to find this great restaurant in its location”

The Fish House Bar & Grill
Ranked #2 of 129 Restaurants in Watsonville
Good for: Groups, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Santa Cruz, California
“Surprised to find this great restaurant in its location”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We went to this restaurant following the symphony and was blown away at the service and quality of food. There are lots of fish restaurants in the surrounding Monterey Bay communities of Santa Cruz, Monterey and Carmel, but was surprised to find this particularly good restaurant on Main Street in Watsonville. That made it all the more fun.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Pilgrim000_12

Monterey, California
“Knocks it out of the park again!”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I have been here about a dozen times now and I have never in a clam broth with bay shrimp, olives, tomatoes, onions and shallots with a side of garlic bread. This location is a spin off of the Monterey fish house. Headed up by one of the original Monterey fish house favorites Sal, this location lives up to its name! Everything is fresh. The only things you will find In the freezer is ice cream. I asked. Happy hour prices can't be overlooked. See photo

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank RtLuvr22
Londonderry, New Hampshire
“Enjoyed our meal and the service”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

While on vacations, we rely on tripadvisor to sort through the masses of restaurants. This was a good one. We arrive a bit before they opened but was offered to have a seat in the bar while we waited. The bartender very knowledgeable about wine helped us with local selections.

We were seated for dinner and found the wait staff to be pleasant. Being a fish house - both my husband and I ordered fish!! I had the smoked snapper which was was super. My husband has the mix seafood with fresh made pasta that was just as good!

Started with a glass of very good local wine and fried calamari. The meal followed timely and we ended the meal sharing housemade creme brulee. Wonderful. The owner came over to ask how everything was and took time to chat with us.

If we were not staying an hour away - we would have returned the next night. This is a place that we would certainly go back to. All staff members that evening were on their game.

As for the review from John P..........I was shocked. But perhaps if he chose to address these complaints while at the location rather than "hoping that the restaurant and staff will see this review", things would have turned out much more pleasant for all!!!

1 Thank susan-lincoln
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I am in Watsonville for work and the hotel that I'm staying at recommeded this restaurant.
I invited two local residents that I have been working with and I was expecting to enjoy a nice evening.

When I arrived there, At least five staff members lined around the front desk, and when I interupted thier social time to ask/ say that I was meeting two people here, the "hostess" immediately said "they are not here" The bar had some people in it and so did the did the dining room, so how she knew that my people had not arrived yet is beyond me.

I was seated and when my guests arrived.The waitress (two) almost immediately asked if we were ready to order. They kept asking every 2-3 minutes and we felt the pressure to order even though the restaurant was far from filled.

When we did order, we asked the waitress if the pork chop was thick and she assured us it was. I ordered it.

My friends had the pasta and a ribeye steak. They seemed to be satified although maybe they were being polite. My pork chops were thin and over cooked to tough.

When I pointed this out to our waitress she replied, "Well, I think that they are thick by my standards" She never asked if I would like something else, (like a good restuarant would).

When we first sat down they brought water and bread. At no time during the rest of the meal did they bring or ask if we wanted more water or anything else except if we wanted to order dessert.

When we left, the ol guy at the wurlitzer said to me "sayonara" I am asian but not my guests and I am not JAPANESE.!

the bill was $70.00 for pasta, pork chops and ribeye steak. No salad or soup was offered for the price and apparently only one glass of water.

I hope that the restaurant and the staff sees this,And maybe and learn from it. It will also explain why your tip was so small and even that was too much..

Watsonville, CA
“Update - Still finding food and service excellent!”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Since our initial group visit in August, I and hubby have been back a couple of times. Still happy to report that services is prompt, friendly and knowledgeable. Food was very good. Our last visit decided to eat in at the bar - everything was spectacular. Keep up the good work Fish House!