“You could hear everything!”

Comfort Inn Watsonville
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Watsonville
Idaho
“You could hear everything!”
Reviewed 31 May 2010

We stayed one night at the Comfort Inn in Wilsonville. It’s a nice hotel when you first walk in and the guy was really nice who helped us. We asked about free wi-fi and he said he had cables that we could hook up to our laptop and have DSL. It wasn’t a problem hooking it up, but the little clips that would hold the cable into my computer was broken off and it kept falling out which meant I kept losing my connection. Besides, that’s why we have wi-fi laptops, so you don’t have to deal with cables any more, right? Why don't hotels have wi-fi! The rooms were very clean and my room was spacious. I had a king-size bed and there were 4 or 5 pillows on it. It worked well for me, but I was also exhausted and didn’t care at that point what I was sleeping on, so I can’t be a real good judge of the bed. I loved the fact that the sink was outside of the toilet and shower room. That way I could use the sink while someone else was in the bathroom. There were lotion, shampoo, and conditioner sample sizes by the sink. There was a lighted makeup mirror by the sink also which is always nice. There is a microwave and refrigerator in the room. The bathroom had an automatic night light in the bathroom and it sensed when you came in which I thought was nice. The shower bar was a curved one which I love, so the curtain isn’t clinging to your leg. There were good movie choices. I think you had 3 different HBO channels. The weird thing was that there was no ABC channel. It had NBC, CBS and FOX, but not ABC. Don’t know why. What I didn’t like at all however was that the walls and floors were really, really thin. You could hear everyone whether they were talking or walking. That is the one thing I hate the most at a hotel! The hotel was on a very busy street and I was on the back side of the motel. I could hear the traffic really well. There is no ice machine on the second floor. There was a place where it could be, but it wasn’t there and I didn’t want to go down to the 1st or up to the 3rd floor to find it. We had an ice bucket, so I’m sure there’s probably ice somewhere, but it would be nice to have one on each floor. The light above the sink automatically shuts off after a while which I’m sure is to conserve energy, but it was irritating because you had to turn it back on again if you were using it. The breakfast in the morning was great! You have waffles, two kinds of cereal, hard-boiled eggs, breads, croissants, orange/apple juice, peanut butter and jams and real butter. I loved the breakfast. This is a good place to go for one night and you have ear plugs. I wouldn’t stay more than that. I will probably try to find another place in the vicinity in the future, if I’m going to be in this area.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Watertown, MA
Reviewed 3 March 2010

My husband and I stayed here for three nights while doing some travelling around the Central Coast. We wanted something more affordable than staying in Santa Cruz and were prepared to deal with the drive. The hotel was fine, no complaints. It was decently clean, the room was sizeable, relatively slow internet connection. Pretty much standard for this level of hotel room. The neighborhood was lacking, we couldn't really find anywhere we wanted to try for restaurants. Parts of it were pretty run down/industrial. We did make it a morning ritual to go to the Starbucks near the hotel, but aside from that we didn't find much else to do in Watsonville.

I would recommend this hotel is a clean cheap place to stay, but wouldn't stay in this general area if you are travelling and looking for things to do.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Watsonville
Reviewed 19 February 2010

All I have to say is LOVE IT the staff are good decent and very professional and always have a smile on their faces when i came walking through the door.
I recommend staying the night weekend...Pass the word..

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 23 September 2009

I booked a room with Comfort Inn through a 20 room wedding block 6 weeks prior to the wedding event. I received a great rate of $70 a night (rooms at the time of booking were posted online for $90 a night). 2 weeks prior to the wedding, I received a call from Ana at Comfort Inn explaining that the 20 room minimum had not been met, so I had 3 hours to confirm whether I would accept a new rate of $150 a night or my reservation would be canceled. I stated that I understood she could not longer offer the $70 rate, but kindly asked if she would consider giving me the $90 a night fee which is what I would have paid if I had booked online (versus through the room block) on the same day. Ana refused to consider the request, and refused to transfer me to a manager when I explained I thought my request was reasonable and wanted to speak to a manager about it. I called the customer service number for Choice Hotels (parent company for Comfort Inn) and was kindly told that each Comfort Inn is individually operated so I could not be helped. The Choice Hotel customer service rep was nice enough to give me the manager's name for the Comfort Inn in Watsonville. I did not call the manager because later that day, I received another call from Ana explaining she had made some calls and that she could revert back to offering me the $70 a day rate. Great - but not so fast. 5 days later, I get another call from Ana, now stating that she could no longer hold my room for me, unless I agreed to pay $120 a night. I canceled because I find Ana's service to be unprofessional and was uncertain whether she would continue to raise the rates for the room as she pleased. I will give Ana credit for calling to let me know about the room rate upgrades.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Watsonville hotels

california
Reviewed 2 June 2009

I would recommend this location for anyone visiting Monterey, Watsonville or Santa Cruz as it is a nice clean environment central to all locations.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank beachbumcali
West Coast, USA
Reviewed 25 February 2009

I spent a Saturday night here while chaperoning a volleyball tournament. We knew we would have a problematic stay when we pulled into the parking lot and saw four young adults drinking. (By the way, the parking lot is behind the hotel and not visible from the street.) Several young adults had reserved a room or rooms and there was partying all night long. Didn't get to sleep until after midnight, and was awoken at 1:00 and 5:30 by the revelers jumping up and down in their rooms and running down the hallways. We found out the next morning that one of our five rooms had the smoke detector torn out and another had a non-working phone. Complimentary breakfast was ok--beware that "eggs" means cold hardboiled eggs. I would stay in Gilroy next time and avoid Watsonville altogether.

Stayed February 2009
sima131, GM at Comfort Inn Watsonville, responded to this review, 27 May 2009
I am so sorry for the inconvenience you experienced at our hotel. We strive to provide the best service and it is very important for us to hear form our guest so we can correct any problems that may occur. We accommodate hundreds of people each year and sometimes we have to deal with people that are less considerate than others. Again please accept our sincerest apology.
San Jose
Reviewed 30 November 2008

I stayed here for 4 weeks, during the week (no weekends), because it was close to my jobsite and had pretty good reviews.

Pros: Friendly staff. Nice, albeit plain, room. At night there was often family or friends of staff hanging around the lobby, but they were respectfull. Fairly quiet. Psuedo industrial part of town next to the small airport, but no flights at night and there was a couple places to eat or gather supplies within walking distance. Safe 'hood, but I wouldn't say "inviting".

Cons: 3rd floor hallway has overpowering cleaner smell (inside the room was OK). Stains on carpet in hallway and a few stained doorfronts. Not a good first impression going to my room(s), but OK once inside.

Breakfast was very basic and often wasn't fully stocked by the 6:30 opening time. Even 6:30 was pushing it for my schedule, so it was usually coffee and go. Did have waffles (which is nowadays a "deluxe" continental I suppose), but minimum fruit, no yogurt, etc. Just not much to throw in the ice chest and go. Hard-boiled eggs were available about 1/2 the time. No idea if they were available later in the shift.

Internet connection was in a word terrible. I'd hoped to get some computer work done, but the connection was unreliable. Would be decent one minute, then slow to a crawl. Over my stay(s), made several attempts with both staff and 1-800 number to fix. Results were variable. If you need high speed access for work, find another place. If you just want to browse the net and can put up with frustrating reliability, it works.

I'm going to try a different place for the next couple weeks. I wouldn't say "don't come here", but I wouldn't say "jump in" either. I travel a lot for business, but it's all blue-collar stuff ($100 +/-). I've stayed at numerous places that seem a great value and others where I was glad it was only a night or two. This place was somewhere between.

• Liked — Comfy room
  • Disliked — i'net was hosed.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank EngTech
Also consider these accommodations in or near Watsonville
Best Western Rose Garden Inn
Best Western Plus Capitola By-The-Sea Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn Santa Cruz
Comfort Inn Santa Cruz
#19 of 54 in Santa Cruz

Been to Comfort Inn Watsonville? Share your experiences!