“Deceitful management”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Weaverville
Berkeley, CA
“Deceitful management”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I called in early February to make a one-night reservation for late August. Within a week, I called back to cancel our reservation as our travel plans had changed and was assured by the person I spoke to that they would take care of it. Both of these transactions were conducted by telephone as this establishment does not have online capabilities. To my surprise, when we returned from our trip in early September, there was a message from The 49er that they were charging us for the night of the original reservation & the charge immediately showed up on my credit card. I called and spoke to the manager, Rob, explained the situation, and he assured me that he would reverse the charge. I kept checking my credit card account and called 3 times over the next two weeks, leaving messages for him to call me back. He never did. When I called the last time, the woman who answered the phone said there was a message from him that he wasn't reversing the charge because there was no record of my having canceled. I have traveled a great deal and have never encountered this kind of treatment before. This is outrageous!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Foluke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Usa
Reviewed 27 June 2013

There are two buildings that constitute this motel. My room was in the back building, which was very quiet. The room was very spacious, and the beds were firm. I didn't use the swimming pool, but it looked inviting. A new carpet would be nice, but otherwise this motel is a good value.

Room Tip: Request a room in the back building.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank RNatha
Apache Junction, Arizona
Reviewed 16 April 2013

There really isn't anything wrong with this place, but there really isn't anything wonderful about it either. If they charged 10-20 less per night, you might feel like you got a really good deal. At the current rates, it is just a bit too much to spend for a dated place with a TV that could have been recycled 10 years ago. And maybe someone could have replaced the burned-out ceiling lite fixture bulb in a room that is pretty dim after you close the curtains. And maybe someone could have cleaned the TV remote which was pretty gross (one of the most virus-laden things in hotel rooms BTW).

Dogs welcome but no place to walk them, and no clean-up bags. Big room, small table. Internet, but it was a bit slow. Close, but no cigar. $55 yes, $75, not really.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Lee L
Sonora, California
Reviewed 1 December 2012

On a mission to travel where I have never been before, I choose this Inn as my first stop. Was a little leary as you never know what these small motor inns will be like.
I was happy to find this motel was inviting when I drove up (after dark). Check-in staff friendly and accomodating. Traveling with small puppy no problem!!
Room clean, size was okay, rates good too ...location perfect for walks with pet and close enough to downtown. Restaurants, gas station. historical attractions all within walking distance.
My room was at front entry, across from office. Road noise very little. perfect all the way around for me.
I do not hesitate to recommend this Inn!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Honeystravel
Lompoc, California
Reviewed 23 October 2012

When we arrived our dog friendly room was ready. Lady at the desk was very helpful and cordial. If you are traveling with a dog, and want basic services and surroundings the 49er will suit you just fine. It was very clean, freshly painted and located well to be able to walk your dog. There are restaurants close by. We ate at a Chinese restaurant down the street. Food was good. There is not a large selection of rooms in Weaverville but this one was just fine. It looked like many fisherman stay here as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road but most will be OK.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Judy J
san diego
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Though there's not much choice in this mountain town you'll find this motel adequate and close to dining. Try the La Grange Cafe for dinner and the Nugget for a $2.99 breakfast special. The pricing is Ok and there's a small well kept pool and WiFi.

Room Tip: As always, choose farthest from the street.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank rick1942
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Where shall I start? When we checked in to our room our pillows had blood on them. The bath mat hung on the bar with a huge dirt streak on it. So we exchanged our pillows and bath mat. Everyone was very nice about it.

Then we found ants in the room. We went to shower and the drain was almost completely clogged up so the bath tub filled. We told the management about our problems and they were pleasant and switched us to a different room so they could address the problems in our original room.

On our last morning we packed up 75% of our room and went out to breakfast. When we came back, more than an hour before the checkout deadline, the cleaning staff was working on our room. As we got out of the car we were asked, "Uh...Did you still want to use your room?". They had placed the remainder of our belongings in garbage bags and removed our stuff from our room. The room was halfway through the cleaning process, beds stripped and linens piled up on the floor. When we addressed our outrage to the manager he told us that he knew nothing about it and didn't understand what the problem was since our items had been returned to our room and we were free to used it for the remainder of our time.

This place has a quaint charm to it but they have a lot to work on, most especially in the areas of cleaning and customer service. Not once were we offered any kind of compensation or discount for the numerous issues -- not even when we were essentially kicked out of our room early. To be totally fair, my sister stayed in another room and didn't have these problems. If you choose to stay there just know it's a gamble.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Krysta V

Travellers are raving about these Weaverville hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Weaverville
The Whitmore Inn
The Old Lewiston Inn
The Old Lewiston Inn
#2 of 3 in Lewiston
Strawhouse Resorts & Cafe

Been to 49er Gold Country Inn? Share your experiences!