“Good Food and attentive service”
Review of La Grange Cafe - MOVED

La Grange Cafe
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We were there on a Saturday evening so it was pretty crowded. However, the menu looked good so we stayed. The starters came pretty quickly, but the mains were somewhat slow in appearing. But soon after they did arrive the chef appeared to apologise for the delay and offered us a free round of drinks in compensation. I have never had this happen before and it really impressed me, firstly that the chef would take the trouble to come out of the kitchen and secondly for the drinks. As for the food it was all very good and I would have no hesitation in eating there again.

1  Thank Alan R

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Drove over from Willow Creek Ca, to Weaverville, looked like a nice place to eat, so tried it for lunch. My husband ordered sweet potato fries, he got regular ones, he ordered a salad that came with the wrong salad dressing, we were going to tell our waitress, but she was outside sweeping the sidewalk! Overall poor service!

Reviewed 22 August 2013

The food was good but the service was beyond bad... the worst I have ever had in a restaurant. No one paid any attention to us or tried to help us. That should have been the first clue. After we were finally seated it was 25 minutes before our order was taken. Then it was 55 minutes before our food was served. Although it was good, our moods were not. The dessert was expensive and not worth it. For the first time ever I did not leave a tip.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Nice restaurant with a very friendly waitress and large portions. Nice selection of single malt scotch whisky, but the standout for me has to be the bread pudding, without a doubt the best I have ever eaten.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Visiting area for several days and decided when exploring Weaverville to visit this place we had heard locals describe and reviewed on TA.
Located downtown in the heart of Main Street. Good location if exploring the historic downtown.

Entered establishment and found it not too busy for a summer holiday weekend which surprised us. Seated promptly in a window seat which was nice to have some kind of view of the downtown and "people watch". However, we immediately noticed an over abundance of flies on the windows and around the window tables. That was disgusting.
Brought it to attention of our waitress who apologized, and I asked what was causing the abundance of flies as the only entrance was always closed, and there didnt seem to be any flies entering as folks entered or left. She was not sure. We could have moved tables, but dont think it would have been much better wherever we moved to.
I later used the rest rooms located adjacent to the kitchen and noticed as I passed the kitchen that they kept the back doors open, I guess to provide a cooling effect for the kitchen.
I guess they figure any insects that may enter dont go any farther than the kitchen, which in itself is a questionable practice.

Menu was interesting in its choices. Several items in each category, but not as big of a selection as I had expected.
Food service was slow but it eventually got to us.
Salads were cool and fresh with plenty of vegetables.
I had chicken enchiladas that were lukewarm and bland tasting. Served with allegedly "black beans" but what I got were the strangest black beans I ever had. More like a brown pinto bean that were not tasty at all, and I did not finish them.
Girlfriend had "airport chicken". This is a small chicken breast (more like a small cornish game hen) with one drumstick attached, stuffed with ham. She said hers was "OK", but would not order it again.

There are limited choices for dining in Weaverville but I think when we return La Grang e would not be where we go. We will try another establishment.
This place has a lot of potential, but fails to live up to all of the hype I was given about it, and is overrated IMO. Perhaps we caught them at a bad time, but, you would think on a holiday summer week it is prime time for "catching the tourist traffic" and being at the top of their game.
Missed the mark the week we were here though.