Stewart Mineral Springs Retreat
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$106
Sis-Q-Inn(Weed)
US$84
US$73
Travelocity
Best Western Plus Tree House(Mount Shasta)(Great Value!)
US$168
Mt. Shasta Inn and Suites(Mount Shasta)(Great Value!)
US$89
Hotels.com
Alpine Lodge(Mount Shasta)
US$90
Strawberry Valley Inn(Mount Shasta)(Great Value!)
US$149
US$140
Hotwire.com
Shasta Inn(Mount Shasta)
US$88
Travelocity
All reviewsbath househealing propertiescold plungerustic placegift shopa couple timescool downmt shastasaunacabinbathhousemineralsskinoptionalcreeksmsframe
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Having spent forty of my sixty years of life outside of the USA and having stayed in countless hotels and resorts and inns on six continents, I submit with all sincerity that my five days at Stewart Mineral Springs Retreat afforded me as much well-being of soul and body as I have ever found in the most remote and undeveloped corners of this planet, which well-being at Stewart Mineral Springs derived not only from the retreat's pristine natural setting, but also from the management and staff's palpable desire to provide their guests with a genuinely rejuvenating experience. I shamefully admit that I lacked the courage to undertake what is laconically referred to by seasoned Stewart-ites as cooling off in the natural pool outside of the bathhouse after my individual sessions in the hot tubs and sauna inside, but I am firmly resolved to undergo that particular test of character and fortitude the next time 'round - as there will indeed be a next time!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank PilgrimOnEarth
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I have been going here for over ten years and love the Springs, and general beauty of the immediate area. I have been here in the Winter and Summer. Once I got snowed in here for a few days right after Christmas! Not a bad place to be stuck!
I understand the Springs and area were a healing grounds of the local native Americans, and they showed Mr. Stewart the springs, and he decided to make them his own. Not sure about the validity of that story though.
The worst thing most recently has been the spike in fees for everything there including the baths and lodging. Ten years ago, the baths were very reasonable and I think they used to throw in a free bath every once and a while if you lodged there. Now it costs $28 for nonmembers, ouch. If you're local enough or are gonna visit enough, you can become a member and get a discounted rate of 23$. Same with the lodging. I have now stayed in every type of accommodation they offer: Tepees (yes they do!), Cabins, Motel, Apartment, and I even did a seminar in the A framed house and another conference building they have there. I remember when cabins were about $75, now it's $90. The cabins are small, but I prefer to stay in them to get the full woodsy feeling. It has a wood burning stove, modest kitchenette and small bathroom with shower. The bed is a queen and sleepable. It's cool to be up there in the winter with the snow falling, listening to radio coming in from Yreka, and cook a meal with the stove burning after a nice soak in the bath. So the cabins are the best for my needs.

I stayed in a tepee the first time I stayed there and it was a nice experience. They are pretty comfortable, bring a tarp, it's earth floor.

I recently have stayed in the motel and apartment for one night each. It's just a place to lay your head, no wood stove, etc.. They have good showers, and the beds are pretty comfortable. Sheets and linen is always clean. It's usually quiet because there are no phones or televisions in the rooms. There is a public pay phone in a booth outside the apartments. The motel had a small room adjacent to the main bedroom with a twin bed inside it. The main bedroom had a queen. You have to be able to climb stairs to stay in the motel! There is a good climb up to the rooms.
The apartment had a modest kitchen with microwave and hotplate, which I used to cook. I cooked a dinner and breakfast there and it worked well. There is no grill or oven. They had a few plates, pots n pans if you don't bring your own. They even have a few coffee mugs and glasses for drinks. The apartment had both a wall heater and a space heater. I stayed in late November, and it was nice and warm.

The bathhouse is great! I like the atmosphere they have created with the new age music, usually some Indian flute music or similar is piped softly in. You get your own room with a clawfoot bathtub. Its has hot and cold mineral spring water from the source on the property. I don't believe the springs themselves are geothermal, but they heat the water very well, and the cold is there too, so make your own temperature. You can visit the source of the springs on the property about 75 yards away down a path. They claim it has the highest quality mineral water in the world! I must agree in some ways. There is a lot of silica in it! You can actually see the minerals floating in the water. I am very fair skinned, so I have to be careful, sometimes the minerals are so strong, it almost feels like I'm sunburned afterwards if I soak the full time. But then you exfoliate all this dead skin like a day or two later. I hope I'm not grossing anybody out. But, it does, and then you have baby skin. I like it. I have definitely walked out of the bath a couple times feeling heavily dosed with minerals into my skin, of course shower after you soak too. They have a great wood burning sauna that is quite large. The other stop is to the creek outside the door off the sun deck. It's usually bath, sauna, then jump in the creek, and repeat. They have drinking water available. Supply the towels and a bath sheet. There's small gift store selling crystals and postcards featuring enlightened individuals and holy figures and other crafty stuff. That's where you check in for accommodations too, known as "the office".

There's also a restaurant on site here. I ate there one night and liked it. It's nice not having to drive into town several miles for a prepared meal. They have a set menu each night, so no choices really. They had pasta the night I was there, served with a salad, and they also served me a huge piece of very rich chocolate cake that I ate for lunch the next day while fishing! They have wine available I think. The service is friendly and good. I guess they have a ladies' night there with dresscode I noticed advertised. There's no sign on the restaurant. It's just across the covered bridge right before the cabins in a fair sized log house. It has indoor and some outdoor seating on a deck. I choose the deck, and really liked the experience. It's a nice operation for their limited resources.

I've been there in a group, on a romantic weekend, but usually go solo. It's always been good to visit.

So now they have raised their prices quite a bit. But I will still come and visit because I love this place. It just feels peaceful and good to be there. Lots of pines, it's located in a canyon with the creek running through it. I remember the place was up for sale a few years back. It's worth millions. I have a feeling they raised theie prices mostly to keep the place up, including property taxes. It's rustic, but in decent shape. It's definitely not a fancy place. I go to soak in the mineral water and just be in a quiet peaceful place, where I can rest and sleep, maybe cook a meal or eat their food, you can even get a massage, all in the same place. Enjoy.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank mojorayjones
Reviewed 21 November 2011

This place has been around for ages. It is a special spot nestled in the woods with a swimming hole in the creek to cool down in when your too hot from the sauna. The baths feel wonderful and the whole experience is relaxing. I stayed in the apts. this summer and they were clean and comfortable. I visit often and am never let down. If you have problems with nudity or a laid back atmosphere this might not be the place for you.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank sofistka
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Went there for a retreat for raw foodists, stayed in the "Healthy Room". The room was outfitted with some great things, but the wood burning stove heated and spewed soot and ash the whole time. There was dirt everywhere, and the bathroom was unmanageable, and dirty. Think camping with a roof over your head. Would recommend staying in the other rooms, old motel like apartments on the level area. (THEY HAVE BEEN UPDATED!!) Not a good experience in the sauna as some stranger decided to shake off some sweat and ended up dousing a few of us that were nearby. Bad experience all around.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
7  Thank 1happyclam
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I got there on a Sunday without a reservation thinking I'd stay if the price was reasonable and if they had a room, of course. I was met cordially with the information that things were "much better than they used to be" (I had used the baths about 5 years before a couple of times and thought they were great). Was told that the $90 single rooms with cooking were not available but that I could stay in the motel. I asked if a soak was included in the price and was told "No", but it would be 1/2 price. The room was ok, set up for 6 people, and I found in the notebook on the desk the price was $60. I never got a receipt from the desk, and they said they'd mail it to me (a week later I have not received it). My credit card was debited $127. When I called to complain was told that there was a 2 night minimum on the weekend and that there was a $5 discount on bath on Sunday. None of this was told to me when I checked in, as front desk manager seemed vague and flakey. When the manager finally called me back today she was rude, short and simply unyielding. I feel sad that this previously laid-back, comfortable place to be is no longer so comfortable. Will no go back and would not recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo