“Chamberlain made us feel right at home!!”

Chamberlain West Hollywood
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in West Hollywood
Rochester, New York
“Chamberlain made us feel right at home!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

I was anxious to get home and right this review to commend Chamberlain for how incredible our stay was. The hotel is beautiful--it is tucked away off of the busy streets but still within walking distance of the action. We were pleasantly surprised with its convenience. Up a short distance to Sunset Blvd.. down the street is Santa Monica..a few blocks past that was Melrose. There was something for everybody, even a Starbucks and Trader Joes for icing on the cake.

We arrived a little early and much to our surprise they were soooo accomodating and friendly!!!!! In most of my travel experience if you are early they will not waste any time reminding you of the proper check-in time! Definitely not the case here!!!! Front Desk always had a smile on their face and knew the perfect suggestions for places to visit.
We had a couple glasses of wine in the restaurant on a Friday night and observed the Front Desk was slammed but they never stopped smiling. When we asked for a cab it was quickly arranged and we were even greeted by name which added an amazing touch and sense of welcome!

We hung out at the roof top pool and had lunch delivered --once again no complaints here!

The room was exceptionally large and furnished well. We also had our own balcony, which was also large in size. We felt like we were in an apartment and actually did not mind coming back to our room each day. Housekeeping was great and even folded our clothes that were left on the bed rather than shuffling them around just to make the bed.

The business center was perfect.. if you are a MAC person...they heard us loud and clear.. two huge monitor MAC's.. and the best part.. Complimentary! (they have pc's too)

I highly recommend this hotel for business, family or personal travel. The location and staff definitely make this a place I will come back to!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
mhaut, General Manager at Chamberlain West Hollywood, responded to this review, 19 August 2011
Dear Ana L,

On behalf of everyone here at the Chamberlain West Hollywood, please accept our sincerest
"thank you" for your acknowledgement. It is always nice to hear from a guest who has had a positive reaction to our services, facilities and our employees.

I do hope that the next time you are travelling to West Hollywood you do not hesitate to contact me directly as I would be happy to help you.

Chad Thompson/General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Korean first
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

I loved the location, It is charming and very quite hotel

• Stayed August 2011
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

I stayed here for 3 weeks for business in Aug '11 and could not WAIT to get out. It appeared the restaurant is closing down as the 50% on the room menu was not available during my entire stay. My last night, I ordered the chicken and after an hour, called again as it had arrived. They couldn't find my room # (they wrote down 233 instead of 234). I reordered and after half an hour, walked down the block and got food. No wine glasses in the room, cleaning service was spotty (I continually had to call down when the soap was out as they didn't seem to notice it needed restocked). The pool and location is great and the people who work in valet and at the front desk were lovely. That said, there was SO much wrong here will never go back. Really a disappointment.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Valerie G
mhaut, General Manager at Chamberlain West Hollywood, responded to this review, 10 August 2011
Dear Valerie G,

Thank you for sharing your experiences at the Chamberlain West Hollywood however disappointing they turned out to be. We hope you understand that your experience is not representative of the service we pride ourselves in providing. Had we been made aware of these situations prior to your departure we would have taken action and remedied them.

Please accept our sincerest apologies and rest assured that these critiques will not be taken lightly and will be addressed with the appropriate staff.

If we can ever be of any assistance in the future do not hesitate to contact me directly as I would be happy to help.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

The Chamberlain was and could be a better hotel but currently it is just mediocre. It has gone majorly downhill since taken over by Outrigger. The good managers were pushed out during the takeover and the new manager’s way of running the place is not conducive to how the staff were used to working. This has caused some of the great friendly staff to either leave, want to leave, or work under conditions they are not happy with. I feel that having unhappy employees is affecting the service level provided to the guests.

Should you decide to stay here anyway in the near future, I recommend splurging a little extra for the executive suite as opposed to the deluxe. The executive is large, airy and livable for longer stays. The deluxe is a bit tight. I had a problem finding a place to put my suitcase and if I was staying with another person forget about it. It might be good for one night for one person.

The flat screen TV’s (a large for the living area and a mini wall mounted for the bed) were great. The iHome iPod alarm clock on the bedside table was great too. In my opinion, any hotel these days should not be a 3 star hotel or better unless every room has an iHome alarm clock. The desk/work area was sufficient with enough light provided by a separate desk lamp and plenty of nearby power outlets to power your devices. In fact, there were plenty of accessible outlets throughout the room unlike other hotel rooms where you might need to move furniture or unplug other items to charge your phone. The beds and linens were very comfortable and because the hotel is situated in a residential area it was nice and quiet outside too. It’s hard to find a hotel like this one that is so close to the action on Sunset and Santa Monica but still be quiet at night. If you get a room in the back of the hotel (not street side) and you keep your balcony door open, there was a generally constant smell of marijuana in the evenings and pretty much throughout the night. A couple of the neighbors smoke it and it seems most of the other guests who do, ask for rooms at the back so they can too. So if you have an aversion to marijuana ensure you insist on a room with a street side balcony.

All the lighting throughout the room was fine as soon as you figure how to turn on that particular lamp (some required two clicks and some one of the turn knob switch and they were in different places on the lamps). I have a major issue with the bathroom lighting though. There are 2 lights in the bathroom. One for an overhead lamp that is relatively dim and another for the vanity lights that are quite bright and provide the only acceptable light in the bathroom. The wall switch to turn the vanity lights on is a Leviton occupancy sensor/timer switch. The hotel engineers set the settings on the switch to the most economical settings which unfortunately means that the timer function is turned off. So unless the device senses motion within 60 seconds the light will turn off. Therefore if you walk out of the bathroom for a minute to get something out of your suitcase, the light is off when you re-enter the bathroom. Even worse, if you are in the shower, (depending on your room size) the motion sensor may not sense you are in the shower and turns off the light while you are in the shower leaving only the dim overhead light to try to see your body well enough to clean it. One other guest I spoke to didn’t even realize the Leviton light switch was a light switch (it’s a flat button) so until I shared that with him he didn’t even know there was a brighter vanity light in his bathroom.

The roof deck pool area is very nice though it can get a bit crowded during high season. One time I had to wait almost an hour for a lounge chair. The pool person was very kind though and had no problem calling down to my room and saving one for me once one became available. The lounge chairs have comfortable cushions and fitted towel covers that they change for you as soon as the previous guest leaves. There is a bar up there serving cocktails all day and they even start to cook food up there in the afternoons (on a grill). They’ll get food for you anytime of the day though from the kitchen downstairs. The view from the roof deck pool area is amazing too.

The air conditioning in the common hallway is horrible. In the summer when it is hot out, you may break into a sweat just walking from your room and waiting for the elevator. This is an issue on all floors since there is no central air. The only air provided to the hallways comes from a wall mounted standalone inverter model AC unit (with an exterior condenser) that barely works.

The valets in the basement garage were great. Always friendly and courteous whenever I needed to leave with my car and always welcoming when I returned. I was able to take advantage of the half price per night parking fee of $16 since I drove a hybrid. This half price fee is a nice touch that should be offered in more hotels.

The restaurant bar is small but small in this case is just the right size. The menu was old and hadn’t changed in the 6 months since I first stayed here but I heard rumors a new menu was waiting approval by corporate. Supposedly the old chef who created the menu is long gone and the new chef is being asked to make the old chef’s food until his menu is approved. Although the menu was old there were still a few great items on it like the olives and either gnocchi or ravioli. Portions are very small for the price so you may have to drink a lot more to fill up your stomach. The bartenders were great in assisting to fill up on drink. One girl in particular (dark hair, light skin and stunningly beautiful) was particularly amazing. She made every guest feel at home and made perfect mixed drinks.

I had mixed feelings about the front desk staff in general. However, two people I thought were amazing (I think I have their names right but I’m not sure) were Dayo who works the graveyard shift and Jake who’s there during the normal hours. Dayo always went above and beyond trying to help me out with everything from finding a close-by late serving pizza joint to correcting a billing issue on checkout. One morning I had to leave particularly early for work, and knowing I like tea, Dayo offered to run down to the kitchen to get me one even though the restaurant wasn’t open yet. Jake was always genuinely welcoming and full of good advice. If I needed roses, a bottle of water or something cool to do that evening he would let me know.

The hotel chooses to serve complementary coffee in the mornings in the lobby. However they do not have enough sense or courtesy to serve decaf or tea as well. I stay in hotels all over the country and never if complementary coffee is offered is decaf and tea not offered. I informed one of the front desk girls to inform management that they should change this discourteous policy and to leave a message for me in my room to let me know what management said. The girl did not leave a message so I returned the next day to ask her. She disappeared behind the wall of the front desk and when she returned said the manager will not change their policy and offered no explanation nor did the manager choose to address this with me personally. This manager’s name was Indika Sugathadasa. I hope this manager reconsiders her position in the hospitality industry since it does not seem she gets the idea of how to be hospitable. Then on top of this I asked the girl behind the desk if she could just grab me a tea from the kitchen like Dayo had offered to do so for me before and she refused. She said if I wanted tea I had to go to the restaurant and pay for it.

I hope the Chamberlain works out its issues soon since it has the potential to so much better. Currently it is only a fair level property and probably not worth the price. If the hotel had became a Kimpton or Joie de Vivre property instead of Outrigger, I don’t think it would have gotten to this low point.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Traveler34MD
mhaut, General Manager at Chamberlain West Hollywood, responded to this review, 8 August 2011
Dear Traveler34MD,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent experience at the Chamberlain West Hollywood. We take all feedback seriously and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations on your last stay with us.

Unfortunately we cannot reverse your experience. We can only apologize and hope that you will give us an opportunity to be of service again in the future. Please contact me personally, and I would be happy to provide you with a special rate for your next stay with us.

Again, I apologize that your experience at the Chamberlain West Hollywood was not in keeping with our usual standards but rest assured that your experiences are not taken lightly and will be used to improve the services throughout the hotel.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

Very nice "moderne" hotel centrally located in a quiet residential neighborhood nestled between the bustle of The Sunset Strip & Santa Monica Blvd. - Walking distance to both, with a Starbucks a couple of blocks away.
Good Service. Was upgraded free to a Suite after we arrived and they could not find our reservation for a standard room. Suite was clean and modern with great bathroom.
Only complaint would be that there was no seating in the pool area. --- They have chaise lounge chairs around the pool that fill up quickly - but the strange thing is they have a bar with no seating - so it's not conducive for a just a drink - unless you're laying by the pool. -- The do have a small seating area but it was roped off the whole time, and when we asked the bartender if we could sit just for a drink, she said they were probably having a meeting there soon - so no. -The seating remained empty for several hours. -- We left and went to have a drink at The Standard Hotel's pool on Sunset Blvd.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank tonydowntownnyc
Dear tonydowntownnyc,

Thank you for choosing the Chamberlain West Hollywood! I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us last month.

Our rooftop pool is an intimate space open only to hotel guests that becomes very popular during the summer months. The Grand Cabana is typically rented for large groups/parties and I do apologize that it was not available at the time you were inquiring about it.

I hope the next time you are in West Hollywood you choose to stay with us!

Auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

We had great time here! We arrived after a 13 hour flight and 3 hours getting out of the horrible LAX airport and a ghastly shuttle trip wilting. The lovely Monica fetched us iced water and soothed our way to a beautiful room. She advised us on better ways to get to and from the airport. The staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. We slept like logs and enjoyed the pool and a great dinner. The breakfasts were a little pricey but there are plenty of cafes within an easy walk.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear JulianaNZ,

Thank you for your wonderful remarks regarding our staff at the Chamberlain West Hollywood! I will be sure to share your comments with Monica and the rest our amazing staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you venture to West Hollywood!

Hamilton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

This hotel was ideally situated for access to Santa Monica Boulevard. The room was huge and it was great to have a separate lounge area. The bed was a Super King and so comfortable.
However, we didn’t find the staff overly friendly and our room was really noisy. I generally got woken up most mornings by the sound of doors slamming (I presume as they closed behind people leaving their rooms) and our room was next to a drive where every morning it sounded like thousands of glass bottles were being broken. It was really disappointing as the hotel itself was really lovely.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Trip-Monkey-Girl,

Thank you for your comments. We sincerely regret the disturbances you encountered. I only wish you would have contacted us during your stay so that we could have taken care of these disruptions. It is always our intention to mitigate any disruption and to ensure that all of our guests are as comfortable as possible.

I would like to apologize for these inconveniences and hope that you will give us an opportunity to be of service again in the future.