“Distinctly different”

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
thailand
“Distinctly different”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Having been in the Service Industry, I have high expectations when I travel. This hotel exceeded them Starting with my encounter with Chelsei (sp?), who handled my reservation request, to a fellow, whose name I think was Eric???, who gave me a recommendation for a delightful little Bistro Restaurant not far from the hotel. The staff were a delight, I liked the location being away from the maddening crowds, and yet convenient. The cleanliness was excellent, and the overall stay was memorable. Would go back tomorrow, and highly recommend this property. I am confident this will enhance your whole West Hollywood/Los Angeles travel experience. Thanks to all of you who made me feel comfortable and will see you in the Spring on my next trip out.

George S.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
JDouponce, General Manager at Chamberlain West Hollywood, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Arizona1940.
I am delighted we met your expectations. It sounds as if Eric sent you to WE HO Bistro, that is one of his favorite places. I am thrilled you enjoyed our location and stay with us. I am also so proud when staff members receive a shout out. I will share your comments with both Chelsea, Eric and our entire team. Thank you so much for your business.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

You would never know now gorgeous this hotel is from the outside. Very well decorated and styled from the luxurious curtains to the spacious suites! Even the pillows were incredible.

Will definitely recommend and try to stay here again when visiting LA next time. Pricey (and overnight parking was even more expensive!) but it made our Hollywood stay feel very, well, Hollywood!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Jamie L.
We so much appreciate the wonderful review. I am pleased we made your Hollywood stay feel "very Hollywood". Guests often comment how discreet the hotel is from the exterior. We thank you for your business and wish you and your family a very safe and Happy Holiday Season.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Great location in West Hollywood but a bit of an odd hotel.

We had some issues with the hotel prior to arrival. A couple of weeks before arriving in LA we emailed the hotel trying to find out the cost and availability of parking on site. Three emails inquiring about this were never replied to so I emailed the head office of the group. We finally heard back, I presume as a result of the contact with head office and the issue was resolved with an apology and a discounted parking rate for the duration of our stay and free wifi thrown in.

We booked a suite which was a great size with a big bedroom with ample storage, a large lounge/dining room and a kitchenette.

Our room wasn't ready despite us arriving after check in time so we had to wait for about twenty minutes which wasn't appreciated after a long drive and negotiating LA traffic for the first time. Once we got to our room, there were used hotel bathroom toiletries on the shower floor and the room smelled very musty. We figured out the reason for the musty smell was because the carpet ran into the kitchen area and under the bar fridge which must have been leaking. This was pretty overpowering at times.

The air conditioning in the bedroom was very noisy so had to be switched off at night. Room servicing was a bit of a disappointment with trash cans not emptied and a very haphazard approach to making a bed! We asked for the bed linen to be changed one day and we were pretty convinced that only the pillows had fresh linen and the old sheets were left on.

Breakfast service was a bit of a chore in the restaurant with a bit of a lack of understanding of what we wanted to order and incorrect charging. I was very disappointed with the service at the pool area. There is a telephone with a menu at the pool so items ordered were delivered by room service which is fine but the quality of the food was pretty sub standard. One dish in particular, the calamari was terrible and if I hadn't ordered it from the menu myself, there is no way I could have identified the type of protein that was being served. Really pretty awful. What also needs addressing is that the cutlery (silverware) brought with meals to the pool area is plastic which was pretty shocking and not good enough. Another issue was that there was some maintenance going on around the pool which meant loud banging and hammering for a couple of hours which was very disturbing.

We requested, and were happy to pay a half day rate, for a late check out of 5pm but this could not be offered due to the hotel being full which was understandable so bags were stored for us and we were able to change in a public restroom in the hotel.

All the staff were friendly which we appreciated so a pity that there are some issues that need to be sorted out.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank david p
JDouponce, General Manager at Chamberlain West Hollywood, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear david p.
Thank you for your business and taking the time to review your stay. We take feedback very seriously since it helps us do our jobs better. I am always disappointed to not have the opportunity to discuss in person any concerns or issues while a guest is on property rather than after the fact. We are in the service industry and quite honestly things do happen, and it is how you address those items that really make a difference in customer service when they are brought to our attention. We always strive to exceed expectations. I can assure you there is nothing in your comments we could not have corrected to insure you had an enjoyable stay with us. I do appreciate very much you acknowledging our friendly staff. I do hope you will give us the opportunity on a future stay. Please contact me personally and I will make sure you have a great time at the hotel. I really very much appreciate your feedback and business.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed here with our 10-month-old for a weekend break in October. This is an eclectically designed boutique hotel right in West Hollywood, THE gay hotspot on the east coast apart from the Castro in SF. The hotel itself is in a very quiet location but just a 5min walk away from the main drag with bar and restaurant in easy reach. The rooms we stayed in are a decent size with a sleeping area from which you step down to a living space with a fireplace and a small balcony. Bathrooms are on the smaller side but well-designed. The hotel is not small by the number of rooms but maintains a very intimate feel to it. A definite highlight is the rooftop pool with views as far as downtown.
Two things that dented our experience a bit:
Our room for the first night was on the first floor towards the small courtyard area, which hosts the outside restaurant. Our window was only a few feet away from a crowd of about 30 who partied there and they might as well have been INSIDE our room. We literally could not hear the TV in our room for the noise. The party was over by 1130pm, but I thought I mention this if for some reason you might want an early night. Avoid the lower floor rooms towards the courtyard is all I can say. We changed rooms the next day.
The second issue worth mentioning is the parking situation. This is LA so you will arrive by car. Street parking is very limited around the hotel so you have to use their valet-only parking which is $36 for every day you use it. If you consider that you will go in and out maybe three times a day by car, you are looking at an extra $50 on top of your room rate by the time you tipped. The valets at the Chamberlain are not very subtle in making sure they get those five bucks. As an example, the guy pulls up with our car, gets out, TAKES THE KEY OUT OF THE IGNITION, and then stands next to the driver door with the key in his clenched fist. You-give-me-money-I-let-you-have-key-back gun-to-the-head kind of approach. I am not cheap, I don't look it either, so why is this necessary? A minor thing maybe, but it annoyed me every single time we pulled out of that hotel.
We did not use the restaurant, room service, or spa so I can't comment. Service was good otherwise, front-desk staff very helpful, friendly and accommodating. Wifi is charged for, I think something like $10 per day.
In addition, I should mention that this is not really a family kind-of-place. While the hotel itself felt very accommodating towards kids, you might feel somewhat out of place among the hipster, 30something crowd who seems to make up the majority of the guests. But to be fair, this is West Hollywood, so what else would you expect.

Room Tip: Ask not to be on a lower floor towards the courtyard restaurant/ bar area, It will feel like the bar...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank FromHereToTheWorld
Dear From Here To The...
Thank you for your review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at The Chamberlain. I apologize for the dinner party in the courtyard area. It was to end at 10:30 PM obviously that I did not happen. I will discuss with our Catering Department. On parking, unfortunately as in London parking is very difficult in the LA area. The reason our staff removes keys is for both safety and security. It is our policy that they do so to insure a vehicle is released to the correct guest. So many rental cars look alike and we want to make sure the right car goes to the correct guest. Our shifts in valet vary and while the staff is very good at remembering guests this is a security policy. Please feel free to contact me personally for any future reservation and I will make sure we block you in a very quiet room. Thank you for your business.
Sacramento
Reviewed 15 November 2013

loved the accomodations and the front desk folks were superb especially Eric-- the bathroom was large as was the room --- requested a coffee pot for the room -- also nice bathrobes! only downfall was the food -- had breakfast "sandwich" -- disappointing -- definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
JDouponce, General Manager at Chamberlain West Hollywood, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear Loui 30.
It is great to hear you ere very comfortable at The Chamberlain and a big thank you for acknowledging Eric, one of our many great associates. I do always take particular pride when one is mentioned by name. I am not sure what happened with the breakfast sandwich however I will personally look at that menu item. We look forward to seeing you again soon, do not hesitate to contact me personally if I can be of help with a reservation. We very much thank you for your patronage.
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a trip we took along the coast in California. It's located in a wonderful spot in West Hollywood. It has a very boutique feeling to it, large rooms, with gas fireplaces, and very comfortable beds, with feather pillows, which I love. They were covered with pillow protectors, and didn't bother my allergies at all. There were great smelling bathroom products, which I wish I had remembered the name so I can buy them again.
I was sick when we arrived and within an hour the hotel had a doctor calling me to do a consult, it was truly great customer service.
The only negative part was that I booked with Booking.com and actually paid more than if I had booked with the hotel, as well the wifi is horrible, which is unfortunate.
If they put a small ledge in the bathrooms, the water would stay in the shower, but aside from these very small issues, the hotel was fabulous, and I'd definitely stay here again.
There was a small pool upstairs on the roof, there were draped beds for privacy, the entire feel was very elegant, and even though it was cooler, on the roof it was wonderful and I even caught a sun tan!
The restaurant was good, and we had breakfast there, but right around the corner is K24 which offered fantastic food at much less costs.

Room Tip: Have an inside room, the noise from the street is less, and you'll have a garden view, the only...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
JDouponce, General Manager at Chamberlain West Hollywood, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear skusderci.
I hope you are feeling better and I am just delighted that our team was able to help you with a Doctor so quickly. We have just the best staff and I thank you for acknowledging them and their great customer service. The product is Gilchrist & Soames, so glad you enjoyed it. We receive many comments on our large rooms and fireplaces, and I agree our beds are so comfortable.I see you also found K24, they are so nice and have such a great menu selection. We really very much appreciate you taking the time to review The Chamberlain and thank you for staying with us. I do hope we will see you again soon. All the best.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This is a great hotel for work and for pleasure. I stayed 5 nights in this hotel while working in LA and the staff could not have been more accommodating and helpful. The rooms are terrific, spacious, modern and comfortable. The food is great in the restaurant and the bar tenders could not be nicer. Coffee is served in the morning in the lobby, which was a nice surprise, especially if you are on east coast time and up at 5am. The location could not be better--walking distance from restaurants, boutiques, drug store - everything you need. But again, what made it for me was the staff. I felt welcome, safe (as a single traveler) and when I needed help with anything, they were there.

Looking forward to my next stay!

Room Tip: Higher floors are better for ATT cell service.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear ny1971.
Wow! Thank you for the excellent review! I’m always excited when I hear that a guest of ours had a great stay, and it is with pleasure to hear how much you enjoyed yours. I am always so pleased when our staff is recognized. They are the heart of the hotel, and we are just so fortunate to have such nice associates. I will share your review with the team. I know they will enjoy the feedback as much as I have. Thank you for your business.

Hope to see you again soon.