“Nice Surprise!”

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
San Diego, California
“Nice Surprise!”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The Chamberlain was recommended by friends and I stayed around the Christmas holiday. When I arrived it was about 10 a.m. and I was expecting to have to leave my bags with the bellman, but upon arriving at the check-in desk, my room was ready! Thank you Brad! This really relieved a lot of stress as I was able to have a secure place to keep my bags and unwind for a few minutes before I headed out. The hotel is conveniently located in a delightful residential neighborhood and you can walk to many little cafes including Starbucks and Coffee Bean. The photos online do not do the hotel justice. The living room area is much nicer than it appeared and even had a fireplace. The room was huge. I was on the top floor and had a good view. The hotel was well decorated for the holiday. They provided free coffee in the lobby every morning. The gym was better than a full fitness club. I loved it. We had breakfast in the Hotel Bistro. The food and service by Tara was really very good. The weather was in the 80’s, I did not bring a bathing suit however enjoyed sitting on the rooftop deck by the pool. The views were beautiful. Absolutely will return and recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ph3do
John D, General Manager at Chamberlain West Hollywood, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear ph3do.
We so appreciate your comments on TripAdvisor. You gave a really comprehensive review which will be very helpful to our future guests. Thank you for your comments acknowledging Brad and Tara. I am so pleased we were able to accommodate your early arrival allowing you to unwind and relax. I will share your comments with them and our entire team. The weather was amazing over the Holidays, next time bring your swimsuit.

Thank you for your business.
John Douponce

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Spent two nights at the Chamberlain just before Christmas. Matt at the front desk was super helpful, printing out our tickets to Lion King and giving advice on where to go/what to see. Christian in the dining room was really friendly and helpful as well, serving us a big breakfast and giving us magazines with local attractions. We were also given a very good deal with free parking, WiFi and breakfast, thanks to Matt and the manager.

The rooms were large and attractive, with both fireplace and airconditioning, but not large enough for 5 adult-size people, which we intially thought it would be. We had to get two rooms. The only downside was the first night, when the people next-door were noisy all night and into the morning, and a group ran through the hallway and slammed a door at around 5 am. Other than this, we had a great stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
John D, General Manager at Chamberlain West Hollywood, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Dear Angie2014.
Very happy you enjoyed yourself! Thanks for the kind words about our team, we love them too. I'm always particularly proud when they are mentioned by name. I will share your comments with Matt and Cristian. I hope you also enjoyed the Lion King, it is one of my favorite shows. Many people do not realize how much live theater is available in the LA area. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you for your feedback and your business. On behalf of the Chamberlain team. Happy New Year!
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Any hotel is going to find The Cosmopolitan in Vegas a hard act to follow, and that is where we had arrived from when we got to The Chamberlain. It was very busy so our room was not ready until an hour after we arrived at 4pm. We were given complimentary drinks and the staff at reception were very accommodating. The shared areas of the hotel are stylish and would be fine for singles or couples but the rooms are tired and didn't feel properly cleaned. We had a suite with pull out sofa and although they knew there was 5 of us when we got to the room we were missing extra towels and shower gel/ shampoo. The toilet also became blocked on our second night there. It felt a little jaded and perhaps understaffed but the location was great and on the whole they attended to our issues promptly. We didn't eat at the hotel as the bistro seemed a little pricey and is very small. Roof bar is great. Lots of places to eat nearby. Air con unit was too noisy so switched off.
Not sure we would repeat the experience but then LA is a tricky place and the neighbourhood was quiet and safe.

Stayed January 2014
John D, General Manager at Chamberlain West Hollywood, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Dear Madrilenaabroad.
Thank you staying with us. I am pleased the staff were accommodating and attended to your requests promptly. I agree we do have a great roof top area,location and neighborhood. I do apologize for any delays checking in. New Years this year was extremely busy. Michigan State played in the Rose Bowl for the first time in twenty six years and we were fortunate so many of their Alumni choose to stay with us. Thank you for your business and we wish you and your family a very safe and Happy 2014.

Sincerely.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We have stayed at the Chamberlain Hotel for many years. They have done alot of improvements and the property looks better than ever. The staff has always been very friendly and helpful when it comes to restaurants, directions,etc. This particular trip we tried to print out tickets to Magic Mountain on the computer in the business center. It required a password to update the Adobe. No one in the hotel could figure out the password for 2 days. This led to us having to go to FedEx and pay $4.25 to use their computer to do this. NOT COOL.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
John D, General Manager at Chamberlain West Hollywood, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Demetris A.
We are so glad you enjoyed Christmas at the Chamberlain and thank you for being such a loyal customer, and for acknowledging how great the property looks. I also very much appreciate you acknowledging our staff. I do apologize you had an issue in our business center. I really do not know why we just did not print your tickets at Guest Reception. Because of your feedback I have asked our IT vendor to go through all our Mac's and PC's in the Business Center to insure everything is up to date and in working order. Please contact me personally for any future reservation. Thank you so much for your patronage. We wish you and your family a terrific 2014.

Barrington, Rhode Island
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I stayed at the Chamberlain Christmas week while I was visiting my daughter who lives in West Hollywood. I didn't know what to expect and was very happy with my choice! The staff was consistently friendly, helpful and efficient. The location in a quiet, lovely residential neighborhood steps away from Santa Monica Blvd. and Sunset was a welcome change from staying in hotels on bustling, noisy streets. The room with a balcony on the 4th floor was immaculately clean, large and had everything I needed to be comfortable for the week: comfy bed, sofa, fireplace, wonderful shower, great bath products, and quiet! I ordered a pot of coffee in my room every morning and it was delivered minutes later by a gracious staff member. Check-in and check-out were fast and Claudia called me a cab to the airport which arrived a minute later. I didn't make it to the rooftop pool because with so few cars on the road during the holiday week a trip to the beach was quick and easy! I hope to return next Christmas and plan to stay at the Chamberlain!

Room Tip: My room was on the 4th floor with a balcony above the entrance and I found it to be very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank mandpRI
Dear Mary M.
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments. I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your recent visit over Christmas while visiting your daughter. I'm also delighted to hear your appreciation of our wonderful amenities, location, large rooms,comfy bed (they are great) fireplace, morning coffee, and most important our caring staff. I am always especially proud when they are acknowledged by name. I will most definitely share your comments with everyone including Claudia.The weather was certainly beach weather over the Holidays, glad you were able to hit the beach. I do hope we will see you before next Christmas. Thank you so much for your business. We wish you and your family a very safe and Happy New Year.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My family really enjoyed our first stay at this hotel over New Years. The traffic and street noise from our drive into Los Angeles disappeared as we pulled in front of the Chamberlain for an early evening check-in. The hotel is just a block or two from both Santa Monica Blvd and Sunset Blvd., but it's in a quiet green residential neighborhood between these major arteries (where car rental companies and the city express bus service passes nearby). My kids and I rode the bus into Hollywood for fun one day, and for our next stay in the LA area I plan to skip renting a car, maybe until after we are settled into this hotel. Our check-in that first evening was fast and friendly and our twins were greeted with a special snack shortly after check-in. The staff was consistently friendly, prompt and helpful during our stay, and the rooms were clean. Our son did complain about the lack of a bathtub (shower only) but he and his sister made good use of the rooftop pool.The above pluses would have been enough for me, but I also personally appreciated two details of our room; the fireplace and the windows in the bathroom!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PaulG2014
Dear PaulG2014.
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Chamberlain. I am so pleased you enjoyed our great location and the amenities of our property. It sounds as if your twins enjoyed our signature children's private list. I will certainly share your wonderful feedback with the staff. I very much appreciate you acknowledging our terrific staff. We thank you for your patronage and wish you and your family a wonderful 2014. We look forward to seeing you and the family again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Hotel looks amazing online. Room smelt when we walked it and there was no champagne ready for my arrival when i pre ordered it. Food was nice in the bistro and staff were pretty good. It could have been a great stay if the room was aired out and i got what i ordered.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank TravellingOzLoz
John D, General Manager at Chamberlain West Hollywood, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Dear TravellingOzLoz.
Thank you for your review. I am disappointed we missed your Champagne request. I am not sure what happened however will review with the staff to insure our procedures are correct. We do thank you for your business and wish you a terrific 2014.