“Great small and quiet hotel”

Chamberlain West Hollywood
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Just stayed for a few days on business and found The Chamberlain to be very quiet, comfortable and charming, Staff was excellent and attentive. The building seemed to be an old apartment building which is always interesting. Improvements that could be made: a phone next to the bed; the floor mat for the shower was too thick to stay next to the door so there was a water on the floor getting out; more light over the desk. Otherwise - lovely.

Room Tip: You want to ask for a room in a little "alcove" vs on the main hall if you want absolute q...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
John D, General Manager at Chamberlain West Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear lisakfrnyc.
So pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found The Chamberlain to be "quiet,comfortable and charming". I am not sure why there was not a phone next to your bed, there should have been one. We are actually replacing all of the lamps and lighting in all the rooms shortly. Thank you so much for your business. I hope you are staying warm in NYC.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Filthy. Poorly managed. Pets (and evidence of past pets) everywhere.
Rooms smell of mold. Carpets are so dirty (questionable brownish stains) that I did not want to walk around barefoot. Broken outlets everywhere. Stained countertops/tables. Broken cabinets. Holes in walls. Torn rugs. Broken appliances (beware the hairdryers and irons). I've seen similar conditions following frat parties....maybe that's what happened, but I suspect this is how it looks all the time from other hints. Thankfully we did not have any cockroach encounters as other Yelpers have, but if we had, I would have run away screaming and never looked back.

No temperature control in the shower (listening to my husband shriek from freezing to scalding water at random intervals without adjusting the temperature).

Doggie-guests of the hotel barking, running, crying, scratching at all hours (and all hours in-between). If you are a traveler with pets, this is the place for you, since I believe the cost could be justified if you cannot otherwise find a place to stay with Fido (Holiday/Hampton Inn Chains would be the cheaper option).

Also, the "complimentary shuttle" is basically only operational when their singular driver is working and it is convenient to them (never beyond 7pm, so be prepared to drive or taxi to dinner reservations and back). The roof bar stops serving in the late afternoon and the hotel bar closes at 10:30pm so any night-cap will have to be BYO.

My husband and I discussed bailing-ship and finding a room elsewhere, but were ultimately too tired from traveling. We both travel for work/play and stay at 5 star hotels regularly, but were looking forward to a boutique experience for a change.....next time we'll resist the impulse to go off the beaten path of hotels with decent standards of service.

I wrote to the management group and am awaiting a response. They really need to either lower the prices to reflect the hotel experience, or whip the staff into shape and address the cleanliness (or lack thereof) at the hotel. Less emphasis on styling and decor and more emphasis on hygiene and solid service.

As a side note, don't be shocked by the $40/night parking fee (no other parking aside from sketchy street parking in the area with many regulations). It's basically what you'll be charged at any other hotel in the area.

Room Tip: I don't know if this is possible or not, but ask for a room that does not allow pets or is not n...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JTS440
John D, General Manager at Chamberlain West Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear JST440.
I sincerely apologize for any issues you encountered during your stay at The Chamberlain. I am the General Manager and the responsibility is mine. I do wish we had the opportunity to discuss your feedback when you were at the hotel. Thank you.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

The entire staff was incredible; from valet, to the check in desk, to the bistro, to housekeeping...everyone was so friendly and welcoming. Accommodations were handled brilliantly. Every time I called the desk in need of something, we were serviced at our doorstep in less than 5 minutes. I called so much that I thought I was becoming an annoyance, but I was treated with the utmost respect and superior customer service. Brad even remembered my name when we came down to check-out. Made me feel really special :-) We will definitely be back....very soon <3

Room Tip: Use AAA or your California residency for a discount!! Excellent rates! :-)
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Dannaca.
Thank you for the great review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at The Chamberlain. I very much appreciate you acknowledging our "incredible" staff and the shout out for Brad. We very much thank you for your business. Since you are from California I hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I stayed here for a week last month and am happy to say I am glad to be here again. I have missed having a place that is comfortable, convenient and dependable to stay in West Hollywood. They have a very nice property and keep making improvements. Now I found Great complimentary wi-fi and new terrace doors and railings added since last month.
The staff is helpful, informed and pleasant. The Bistro has quite good food as is the room service.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
John D, General Manager at Chamberlain West Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

DearOJ
It's great to" have you back". We are so pleased you found a home. Our new WI FI went live in mid-January We have had nothing but raves on the service and we have not even brought it to full bandwidth. I really appreciate you acknowledging the staff, our Bistro, and room service. They work hard to make sure the guests enjoy their stay. We so much appreciate your business.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I was recommended the Chamberlain by a friend before I headed to the LA. They made a great recommendation. The room was spacious, the staff friendly and the whole process very easy. Centrally located in West Hollywood, there are lots of cafes/food establishments in walking distance. Only caution is that Trader Joe's requires a passport if you are are a foreign national and want to buy alcohol. Would absolutely stay there again.

Room Tip: There were some challenges getting the fireplace and/or zircon to work - make sure that is cleared u...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
John D, General Manager at Chamberlain West Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Daer liambuckley2010.
What a wonderful recommendation. I am very pleased you enjoyed not only the hotel but our great location. I can tell you we are honored to be "a great home away from home". We look forward to seeing you again soon, please thank your friend for recommending the Chamberlain and know we so appreciate your feedback and your business.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

After last year's stays at the Sunset Tower (more charm, best service) and the London (more glam, best balcony, best pool, and best breakfast), this was a comedown in wow factor but thankfully also a comedown in price -- about $200 less per night. Ignoring the Mad Hatter patterns-on-patterns aspect of the decor, we loved the large living room + bedroom, the quiet street, and lowkey vibe.

Pros: Big suite, propane fireplace, okay balcony, quiet neighborhood, 2-minute walk to Trader Joe's, walk to WeHo bars.

Wifi: free in room.

One person's pro is another person's con: Not a party hotel.

Cons: Dark-ish rooms, noise from adjacent loud family through locked connecting door, small pool, and - typical of L.A. - very high parking surcharge.

Beware: Couple in lobby was complaining (understandably) that their promised "balcony" was below ground-level, making it actually a pit.

Value tip: Sometimes if you book directly through hotel's website you can get free parking.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Hapness.
I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay, our large rooms, quiet street, and the low key vibe. Everyone loves our neighbor Trader Joe's. We do offer various packages on the web site, so glad you mentioned that. Thank you for your feedback and your business.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

The location was very good and walking to most places. Not that happy with the tax ,when I received the bill, was like $40 per day and that was 9 nights. This could have been highlighted during booking process,not additional taxes to add.I had been in touch with John the GM on a few occasions and he did respond very fast which was good. Balconies kind of a waste of time we were in room 402 and there is only trees and no sun, bit of a shame.Staff were generally good and helpful spent too much time in the bar oops.I would go back again but think it would need to be a better deal especially if it's for more than 1 or 2 days.A mention the gym was pretty good for a small hotel used it most days. Pool was not big but think it was well kept so ample. All in all was not a bad experience but AC would be an issue if it was summer.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank BordersTD7

Dear Borders TD7.
Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased you and your family had a nice stay. We always are striving to improve. I reserved you in 402 because I personally love the layout and the large bathroom. Next visit we can try a different suite. I don't disagree with on the taxes however there is nothing we can do about that, it applies to all hotels in the area. So glad you enjoyed the Fitness Center, many guests are surprised that a Boutique Hotel has such a great gym available 24 hours. We look forward to seeing you again and very much appreciate your patronage.

Sincerely

Petit Ermitage
#3 of 19 in West Hollywood
Andaz West Hollywood
#4 of 19 in West Hollywood

Been to Chamberlain West Hollywood? Share your experiences!