All reviews standard west pool area sunset strip hour restaurant cool place pool party great bar chateau marmont third floor early check los angeles diner jon hollywood vibe poolside minibar
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Noisy. Underfurnished. Slow service. Don't.
I knew I was in trouble when I saw that the hotel supplies all guest with ear plugs on your bedside table. That kind of said - "It will be noisy, so deal with it." This is a hotel mainly aimed at media industry types, here to be busy and connected in Hollywood. Staff are friendly, especially at reception, and everything happened smoothly on check in. No complaints so far. The retro decor and loud bar build the 'hip Hollywood' atmosphere. But this is not a comfortable or a well-equipped place to stay. The rooms are so under-furnished there is no where to put your clothes. There is only hanging space for perhaps 4 items. And nowhere to lay your case either. My large double room had just one desk chair and a bean bag for sitting. Inadequate and uncomfortable. Noise travels through inter-connecting doors and the walls. I could hear telephone conversations from neighbouring rooms. Room cleaning was poor. My bin only emptied every other day. The internet, even when you pay $14.95 to upgrade to a 'faster' speed, is painfully lethargic. The bar by the pool is fine, but the menu (the same one throughout the hotel) is strangely limited. Though there is always the burger. Breakfast, in a cool 'diner' restaurant is stylish but oh so slooow. How long does it take to get some cereal to the table, for god's sake? Activity round the lobby suggests plans are afoot to refurbish, but it needs more than that. Unless you are happy with trendy, loud and unfurnished - look elsewhere.

Room tip: If you ignore me and stay here anyway, the city view rooms offer a less noisy option.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
StandardManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Standard, Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

I’m sorry to hear your experience at The Standard, Hollywood was not what you were expecting. We do take pride in our venues for their social aspect and great programs. While our rooms are minimal, we do offer several room types with seating area and large closet. Please feel free to reach out so we can select the perfect room for your needs; we are all about recreating personalized experiences and great relationships with our guests We do thank you for taking the time to write a review, the Hotel can only improve from such critiques. If you do come back to West Hollywood, we'd love to welcome you again to show you what a great little hotel we truly are.

Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Great location. Amazing rates/value for the quality. Good shower. Great vibe. No gym. Walking distance to a bunch of Sunset Strip hotspots. Hotel diner/restaurant has good food and is open 24 hours per day.

Date of stay: May 2014

Thanks! Glad you had a great stay, please come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I've been at the hotel for 8 nights! If you choose this hotel you have to be aware that it is not like a regualr hotel. The athmosphere is great and very young-ish whic includes very relaxed people (at the reception and the valet parking as well, not very much friendly though).
I've gotten a room with pool view, very nice. The rooms are sort of 80's glamour style and I liked them. the coomon area as well, same style.
If you get a pool view room bear in mind that they have music by the pool till midnight, which you can hear clearly in your room.
The pool is great and so are the people enjoying it.

I confirm that there is a bad smell in the corridors and in some rooms.

• Trip type: Travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to review The Standard, Hollywood. Our Design Team along with our Culture Team work really hard at creating aesthetic and feel that are true to our culture while respecting the locale of this building. So glad you had a good experience with us. We do hope you’ll join us in the near future!

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Having visited The Standard in New York we felt comfortable booking in LA expecting great quality. DO NOT be fooled! This is a very average hotel. Firstly, it looks like they bought a cheap motel and converted it. Secondly, there appears to be no insulation throughout the building so you can here guests around you constantly. We are a young couple from London out most nights, not an elderly couple so we generally don't get bothered by noise.

There are many other flaws - it is expensive for what you get (big empty room). There is no gym, you have to go up the road and pay. You can't get served breakfast until 9.30am by the pool or anywhere outside. The list goes on.

A tip for the Standard - stop wasting money paying that girl to sit in a glass box trying to look cool and start investing in more important things. This hotel is ruining your brand.

After 2 night we actually moved to The Andaz just across the road. Significantly better in all respects and would highly recommend for the same price. Do yourselves a favour - if you want to stay on Sunset Blvd try The Andaz.

Date of stay: May 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
StandardManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Standard, Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Alistair,
I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and glad to hear that you like our younger sister hotel on NYC. The Standard, High Line is truly an amazing to hotel to stay in New York; a destination by itself. I am sorry you did not enjoy our location as much, but I wanted to share a little bit of the thought behind the concept of this location. The West Hollywood location was the original and seeks to offer a fun and cool environment while keeping our rates affordable to our guests. Therefore some of the amenities offered at our larger and newer locations are not available at this location e.g. on-site gym. However, we have an affiliation with a local gymnasium, at a nominal rate our guests have full access to their facilities and great classes. Our Restaurant and room service is at your service 24/7, but pool side dining starts at little later this is due to flow of business; outdoor demands simply starts later in the morning. Please feel free to reach out if I can help with anything else.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel with my husband for our 7th year anniversary. This hotel is perfect in the West Hollywood area friendly employees our room was beautiful and clean comfortable bed the restroom was nice love the shower the pool was nice. Delicious food in the restaurant definitely My husband and I we will staying again in this amazing hotel the staff are well trained with customer service skills they made us feel amazing love everything. thanks for the hospitality.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Jose,
Thanks for your reviews. Lovely to learn that you enjoyed your experience with us and we thank you for letting us be a part of your special day. I will be sure to share your compliments with our staff. This is the reason why we do what we do on a daily basis. We hope to see you again soon!