“Great Service and Great Atmosphere!”

The Standard, Hollywood
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed 12 June 2007

My boyfriend and I absolutly loved The Standard. The staff were extremely friendly and helped us out with places to go. The food and parking were a bit pricey but the longer we stayed in West Hollywood, the more we learned that thier prices were fair. The location was perfect! I suggest going to Katana for some great sushi! Skybar is also within walking distance. We saw several celebrities our first day there. I must say though that this is not a place for jealous couples, but rather a place for singles and for couples who want to have fun. The rooms are a little strange at first but we had a great view of the pool and a great view of Hollywood. We will definitly stay again!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 June 2007

This place is a nice location and has the FUNK factor but has a lot of bad points. If you are wanting a place in LA that is cool then this is a good place, in the 3 days that we where here we had constant photo shoots around us, met a few famous people like Jack Ozbourne who was having dinner in the restaurant. The place could be great, IF! They got rid of the horrible smell on the 2nd floor that taints your clothes, hair and everything. They also need to get rid of the staff they are rude and think that they are so cool. I would say that this is the same with most hotels in LA in terms you have a lot of wannabees, but good if you are looking for somewhere cool and service is not a key thing for you, other than that I recommed that you stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed 16 May 2007

The Standard is not for you if you want a mod, clean, comfortable hotel with reasonable service. If you want a lively rooftop bar scene and need to crash in a haze a few floors away and don't care that you sleep on a stained, carpeted platform with a glorified futon, go for it.

No sound masking so unless you are a very heavy sleeper, expect to wake up from the sound of people coming off the elevators and down the halls throughout the night.

The rooms are miminalist to the point of irony.

The guy at the front desk didn't want me to walk through the hotel lobby and out to the parking lot alone at 6 am because he didn't think it was safe -- so he left the front desk unattended to make sure I got to my cab.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 May 2007

Here's the deal with the Standard:

I am late-20's guy and I travel extensively in the "moderate" price range (>20 hotel stays this year) on business, and tired of same-old Marriott, Sheraton, Hilton, Holiday Inn places. To me they have all become the same. The Standard refreshingly stands out in style, but yes, sacrifices some on service.

That being said, I WOULD return on my next trip to LA. I would NOT recommend this place to my older siblings with kids, and especially not my parents.

Since I work all day anyways, I have breakfast, and tend to arrive in the evenings. Hardly anytime at the hotel during the day. I was glad to have the cheapest room ($150, "small") away from the pool area - it was an average size room, nice bed, decent sheets, large workspace (perfect!). The beanbag chair was nice to kick-back and watch some TV before bed.

Local friends in LA were "thumbs-up" surprised to hear I was staying there on business, and invited others to meet us there for drinks by the pool, bar and post-drinking food at the diner.

Some people complain about parking prices, yes, it's pricey, but that's LA. $24/day. I have stayed at other Hilton & Sheraton hotels that charge 10 or 15, but then charge 10 or 15 for wi-fi. Go figure.

** PROS **
- The towels at The Standard, and at Hotel QT in New York (same owner), have good quality towls! doesn't sound like much, but it matters.

- Easy high-speed, no codes, no fuss.

- funky fixtures & fittings

- valet/door staff that remembered me and welcomed me back to the hotel, even though I am not as "uber-stylish" as other guests.

- safe private parking. left the car's roof down overnight.

- the cleaning lady took an extra towel and placed my toiletries bag on it... like a place mat. nice touch.

- good mini-bar. This is true of other Balzas properties.

** CONS **
- Staff that oozes "I want to be an actor, but this is all I could find".

- food & drink prices a little steep.

For those wanting peace & quiet, you are not the target market. Just like any other product, there is a target client... hotels are no different. Nonetheless, I had no difficulties sleeping or resting at all. =)

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank kromey
Reviewed 3 May 2007

I just stayed here at the weekend, it was a business trip and I just wanted somewhere to sleep and eat, not very demanding. I had 1 problem which really shouldn't have been a big deal, I was waiting for a delivery to come up to my room that I knew had been dropped off at the hotel, it took nearly 2 hours to come even though I had been chasing it constantly. when I tried to speak with the receptionist he became very defensive and confrontational! it was very un-necessary and quite boring to have to deal with! this hotel has a very childish [--] environment, on several occasions I heard the staff discussing the guests in a very derogatory way and I started to feel very paranoid by the end of my trip,

for cocktails and partying this hotel does its job but for buisness, they just don't get it!!

Stayed: May 2007
Reviewed 2 May 2007

I have visited LA more times than anywhere else, I've stayed in a few great local hotels like Loews, the Standard Downtown and Avalon, but I keep coming back to the Standard Hollywood - and there's a reason for it - there is nowhere in LA that matches up to it!. f I could live there, I probably would!

In terms of value for money, great bar, lounging pool, yummy food, comfortable accommodation, decent bar, beautiful settings, beautiful people, and great location - The Standard has it all. And most importantly, service always comes with a (genuine) smile from their brilliant team, ever happy to help.

Every time I stay here I want to live here and least because the service is second to none. I always think our American cousins have the best customer service, and this is a glowing example of it.

Be warned though - do not use their phones! I was ripped off $350 for a few international calls, when I lost my mobile phone. Luckily the manager Jason, was SO understanding of the situation and helped resolve it. Furthermore, when I left my credit card in reception (I was hungover, ok!), he had the courtesy to send it to my house. This is service like no other. And for that, it gets the full 5 stars from me.

Great service, great people, great place to be. I love the Standard!

Stayed: April 2007
Reviewed 24 April 2007

The Standard was hella cool. From the shag carpeted ceiling and wall in the library to the blue astroturf around the pool, from the super friendly front desk people to the hilarous box the mini bar condoms came in, the place is a trip. My only quibbles were the complete lack of furniture on the room's patio (can I at least get a cement block or SOMETHING?), the fact that the heat started blasting at about 3 a.m., and that one waitress poolside was horrible. Overall, the experience was fantastic. The room's decor was minimal and chic, and it retained a bit of that sleazy motel room vibe in a cool and modern way (bright orange tile in the shower/bright orange laminate sink/toilet looked like a public restroom toilet w/out a lid). The location can't be beat, but it's hard to want to go out anywhere besides by the pool - you are already starting out in a fun chic spot with ridiculous girly drinks.

Stayed: April 2007