“Don´t book this hotel - you will regret it”
Review of Petit Ermitage

Petit Ermitage
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We stayed for one night in the hotel. I was a smoker that time, but as I´m a polite person and did not to disturb anyone I smoked on the street (not in the room, not on the balcony). I thought it would be nice for the neighbours to collect the old cigarettes.
Back from our journey I saw, that my credit card was charged with additional 400$ by this hotel. I called them as I thought it has to be a mistake. But they said: We found cigarettes in a bag in the trash of your room. So you smoked in the room. I was totally surprised and explained what I did (I was also VERY surprised that they charged me a fine without notice. I tried more than one time (several calls from germany) to clarify that I did not smoke in the room or on the balcony, after few discussions they promised to transfer the 400$ back. I´m waiting until today. "Very nice". So: Don´t book this hotel, they are a) charging without notice fines, even you did nothing wrong and b) don´t pay you back, even if more than once promised.

Room Tip: Don´t book this hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank 163Chris
Write a ReviewReviews (1,062)

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I've lived in LA off and on, and am here very often for business. Sadly, that means staying in a lot of hotels I wouldn't necessarily choose if I had an unlimited budget.

The Petit Ermitage was a wonderful surprise: price-wise, it's comparable to some of the other four star hotels in the area, but it has loads more charm and character. This is not another one of those vaguely Vegas-y or depressingly condominium-like place that you usually get for the price and star level. It's thoughtfully designed, with cozy lighting and eclectic and funky furniture -- even the lobby is cute and chic. It's not pretentious or trying too hard, and the staff are lovely. I disagree with anybody who thinks it's "scene"-y, and if you'd rather be at some bland chain hotel you'd find in any city in America, I suggest you stay there instead.

The biggest plus may be the beautiful, private roof restaurant, where I passed a lovely afternoon working in the sunshine, among flowers, butterflies and hummingbirds. Not only is it gorgeous, but the food is excellent and I had the world's most amazing server. It's a hidden gem in the neighborhood and I hope it stays that way.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Our second visit over the past 3 years and it remains a place that we would recommend. The rooms are rather dark and dreary, but the bathrooms and shower are terrific. We make the journey though, for the pool on the deck and the great, central location in West Hollywood. Convenient to the bars and action, but far enough away to be quiet and peaceful.

Room Tip: If you don't want to get up early, stay away from rooms on the 3rd floor under the deck/pool. Th...
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I was in LA visiting friends. When in LA, I am usually a Beverly Hills Hotel, Beverly Hilton, Four Seasons kind of person, but this trip I was alone without my family and decided to try something different. I was looking for a kitschy boutique hotel -- and did I ever find it.

When you first walk into the hotel, you are smacked with the scent of sandalwood. I understand the appeal of this, but it is a bit overwhelming. In fact, at timesit was so strong that my nose itched and eyes watered. That being said, the staff is very friendly and helpful and also with a good sense of humor. I arrived a little earlier than expected, but they were able to get me in a room right away and even a bit of an upgraded room. The room was spacious and very well appointed. You can tell there was a lot of thought put into the fixtures as they were not you standard fare, but more stylish and designer. I loved that the bathtub/shower had a nice fixed as well as a handheld shower head. The bed was very comfortable, and the furnishing were more 'homey' not institutional. There was even a nice fireplace that led to the ambiance and original artwork. The closet was a decent size, and had a safe. The room was very clean, and all service was prompt and courteous. Room service seemed reasonably priced for room service. Just make sure to ask what it comes with when ordering. For instance, the omelette does not come with any kind of bread, just mixed greens. The coffee pot is a tad small, but you can squeeze 2 cups out of it.

As for the hotel itself. I believe it is a condo conversion. There is a wonderful rooftop pool that was a relaxing retreat during the day, but at night it turns into quite the 'scene'. Children are not permitted at the pool after noon, and there is definitely a reason why. In fact, I would not recommend the hotel at all if bringing the kids. However, if you are in town for a few days or looking for a nice getaway with the significant other, this is a fabulous hotel.

The hotel has a garage with in and out valet service. The parking was a bit high at $36 a night, but it was definitely convenient.

All in all -- if you something a little out of the ordinary, in a great location, with some serious kitsch while still having a nice luxurious feeling -- this is the place!

Room Tip: when making a reservation, ask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank wickerlamp
Reviewed 24 February 2014

After the stellar reviews and gorgeous website, I was prepared to fall in love, but up on arrival, I was less than impressed with the overly fragranced, stodgy lobby, and then the frumpily furnished rooms. If you are going to be on the roof 100% of the time and the hotel room is to be used as a staging area for wardrobe changes -- then it's great -- but the rooms are not great and the walls are paper thin.

The rooftop is lovely. The view is nice. Really the only redeeming part of the property. It lacks the history and charm of the older venues in West Hollywood and has no great secret past as an excuse for the musty halls.

They try to pass off the word bohemian in hopes you'll excuse the poorly appointed and tattered furniture. I've seen grandmas decorate from thrift shops with more charm.

2  Thank L B
Reviewed 18 February 2014

If you are planning to do a lot of visiting and need a place of rest and respite with character and attention to detail, this place is for you.
The breakfast is a special moment: enjoy a peaceful moment as the sun rises, in a secluded garden-style breakfast terrace. I am sure it loses some of its charm as the day goes and people start assembling close to the swimming pool which is expectedly small. But face it: if you were here to swim, you'd be at the beach.
The rooms were a good size and I definitely recommend the second floor: far enough from the quiet street but not as exposed to the rooftop celebrations. This matters because the building however well refurbished has a couple of giveaways. For instance when in the common areas, you can definitely hear people stepping overhead. The good news is that this does not happen once you are in the rooms.
The food was solid quality and overall reasonably priced, and the service was attentive. There clearly has been a big focus on improving this vs some of the earlier reviews I have read on this site.
The crowds hanging out at this hotel were an interesting mix: starry eyed tourists mingling with Hollywood-type members who have clearly found a playground. Clearly in the evening, a lot of people here knew one another but somehow it did not feel clique-y.
Finally a point for the travellers who do not driver (or are environmentally conscious): there are many good bus lines within easy access of the hotel and you can therefore get a lot of visiting done very conveniently, even if you do not own/rent a car !

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Traveling_Chuck_2011
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I live less than 5 miles away from this charming property yet I stay there on any special occasion I can conjure up! It is literally like stepping into a story book. Between the fairy tale like decoration and the bizarre characters (and stars) that stay there - it is just the break from the LA hustle I need a handful of times a year.

Room Tip: rooms are small sop the suites are worth the extra money if you can swing it.
2  Thank Jackie B
Sunset Tower Hotel
#1 of 19 in West Hollywood
Central L.A
Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills

Been to Petit Ermitage? Share your experiences!