“Issues w/ noise & a dark room”
Review of Petit Ermitage

Petit Ermitage
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Stayed in room 104 on the first floor. The room was tucked in the back & looked out onto a small patio & landscaping/fence at a basement level. There was very little light in the room & felt very dark & dreary. I was by myself, traveling for work - but if there was another person in the room with me, it would have been crowded and hard to manage.

During the night I got to hear doors opening/shutting & the person above me tromping around. This hotel is nowhere near soundproof in any way. If this is an issue for you - you'll hate it.

The decor is "charming" I guess - but feels like it's time to freshen up. The common areas are nice enough & it has a decidedly European feel - but the decor in the room felt a little tired, dated and dark.

I tried out the fitness center - 2 bikes, 1 elliptical, & some 15 pound weights. There's also a pully type of universal system that I'm unfamiliar w/ and found clunky to use.

The location is great for West Hollywood.

The staff was extremely professional, helpful & efficient. A+ grade there. But - I would probably never stay here again because I really didn't like spending any time in my cave of a room.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Travel222Much

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I loved ths hotel and particularly the roof deck area and restaurant. Everyone who works there was very nice.
BUT in the lobby they burn insence like candles which are very overpowering if you have sensitivities or allergies to strong aromas. Further, the aroma is blown through the ventilation system, so there is no escaping it. It is also in their bathroom soaps which is a less significant problem.
I would like to fnd a boutique hotel to use consistently for LA visits, and hoped this would be it. But
I was sneezing all weekend and can't see returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above first floor with a balcony
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan P
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We stayed for one night in the hotel. I was a smoker that time, but as I´m a polite person and did not to disturb anyone I smoked on the street (not in the room, not on the balcony). I thought it would be nice for the neighbours to collect the old cigarettes.
Back from our journey I saw, that my credit card was charged with additional 400$ by this hotel. I called them as I thought it has to be a mistake. But they said: We found cigarettes in a bag in the trash of your room. So you smoked in the room. I was totally surprised and explained what I did (I was also VERY surprised that they charged me a fine without notice. I tried more than one time (several calls from germany) to clarify that I did not smoke in the room or on the balcony, after few discussions they promised to transfer the 400$ back. I´m waiting until today. "Very nice". So: Don´t book this hotel, they are a) charging without notice fines, even you did nothing wrong and b) don´t pay you back, even if more than once promised.

Room Tip: Don´t book this hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank 163Chris
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I've lived in LA off and on, and am here very often for business. Sadly, that means staying in a lot of hotels I wouldn't necessarily choose if I had an unlimited budget.

The Petit Ermitage was a wonderful surprise: price-wise, it's comparable to some of the other four star hotels in the area, but it has loads more charm and character. This is not another one of those vaguely Vegas-y or depressingly condominium-like place that you usually get for the price and star level. It's thoughtfully designed, with cozy lighting and eclectic and funky furniture -- even the lobby is cute and chic. It's not pretentious or trying too hard, and the staff are lovely. I disagree with anybody who thinks it's "scene"-y, and if you'd rather be at some bland chain hotel you'd find in any city in America, I suggest you stay there instead.

The biggest plus may be the beautiful, private roof restaurant, where I passed a lovely afternoon working in the sunshine, among flowers, butterflies and hummingbirds. Not only is it gorgeous, but the food is excellent and I had the world's most amazing server. It's a hidden gem in the neighborhood and I hope it stays that way.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Our second visit over the past 3 years and it remains a place that we would recommend. The rooms are rather dark and dreary, but the bathrooms and shower are terrific. We make the journey though, for the pool on the deck and the great, central location in West Hollywood. Convenient to the bars and action, but far enough away to be quiet and peaceful.

Room Tip: If you don't want to get up early, stay away from rooms on the 3rd floor under the deck/pool. Th...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I was in LA visiting friends. When in LA, I am usually a Beverly Hills Hotel, Beverly Hilton, Four Seasons kind of person, but this trip I was alone without my family and decided to try something different. I was looking for a kitschy boutique hotel -- and did I ever find it.

When you first walk into the hotel, you are smacked with the scent of sandalwood. I understand the appeal of this, but it is a bit overwhelming. In fact, at timesit was so strong that my nose itched and eyes watered. That being said, the staff is very friendly and helpful and also with a good sense of humor. I arrived a little earlier than expected, but they were able to get me in a room right away and even a bit of an upgraded room. The room was spacious and very well appointed. You can tell there was a lot of thought put into the fixtures as they were not you standard fare, but more stylish and designer. I loved that the bathtub/shower had a nice fixed as well as a handheld shower head. The bed was very comfortable, and the furnishing were more 'homey' not institutional. There was even a nice fireplace that led to the ambiance and original artwork. The closet was a decent size, and had a safe. The room was very clean, and all service was prompt and courteous. Room service seemed reasonably priced for room service. Just make sure to ask what it comes with when ordering. For instance, the omelette does not come with any kind of bread, just mixed greens. The coffee pot is a tad small, but you can squeeze 2 cups out of it.

As for the hotel itself. I believe it is a condo conversion. There is a wonderful rooftop pool that was a relaxing retreat during the day, but at night it turns into quite the 'scene'. Children are not permitted at the pool after noon, and there is definitely a reason why. In fact, I would not recommend the hotel at all if bringing the kids. However, if you are in town for a few days or looking for a nice getaway with the significant other, this is a fabulous hotel.

The hotel has a garage with in and out valet service. The parking was a bit high at $36 a night, but it was definitely convenient.

All in all -- if you something a little out of the ordinary, in a great location, with some serious kitsch while still having a nice luxurious feeling -- this is the place!

Room Tip: when making a reservation, ask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank wickerlamp
Reviewed 24 February 2014

After the stellar reviews and gorgeous website, I was prepared to fall in love, but up on arrival, I was less than impressed with the overly fragranced, stodgy lobby, and then the frumpily furnished rooms. If you are going to be on the roof 100% of the time and the hotel room is to be used as a staging area for wardrobe changes -- then it's great -- but the rooms are not great and the walls are paper thin.

The rooftop is lovely. The view is nice. Really the only redeeming part of the property. It lacks the history and charm of the older venues in West Hollywood and has no great secret past as an excuse for the musty halls.

They try to pass off the word bohemian in hopes you'll excuse the poorly appointed and tattered furniture. I've seen grandmas decorate from thrift shops with more charm.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hollywood
The Hollywood Roosevelt
The Hollywood Roosevelt
#16 of 355 in Los Angeles

Been to Petit Ermitage? Share your experiences!