“Great place to stay when visiting LA” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Petit Ermitage

Petit Ermitage
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in West Hollywood
Oakland, California
“Great place to stay when visiting LA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

A cute, boutique hotel tucked away in West Hollywood! This was a great place to stay when touring LA for the first time. My wife and I stayed here for a couple of nights in late December, and got it at a very reasonable price. I booked it in part because of the location, and boy, was I right! It's very conveniently located within walking distance to plenty of restaurants, shops, etc. (including a juice cafe where we ran into Joe Jonas!). The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the room was very cute -- exactly what we were looking for. We spent a few minutes on the rooftop lounge as well, and took in the awesome view. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nicolas-James B, General Manager at Petit Ermitage, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Ezra I am waiting for an e-mail from you with reservation requests!!! It's been a few months already, time to come back and have more fun experiences.

Looking forward to your next visit.

nicolas@petitermitage.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Note: please look at photos to verify authenticity of review
Incl: Pros - Cons - Final Word

The Pros:
The premises are very good in terms of size and location, also super artsy, funky... and clean!
Breakfast is very good. Lunch & dinner (same menu) is a mix of good dishes (Kale & quinoa salad) and dishes that sound great but taste "meh" (for ex. Lamb meatballs).
In equal proportions, some of the staff is professional and friendly, some is inexperienced and friendly, and some are plain unhappy.

The Cons:
Management needs to retrain some of the staff and say goodbye to those who don't want to be there.
The lunch/dinner menu needs to be worked on. We ordered many items and found dishes uneven in freshness and prep. - from crispy salad, delicious beets to cold french fries and bland lamb meatballs.

Final Word:
I definitely recommend staying at the Petit Ermitage, relaxing on rooftop with a glass of vino and an order of the Meditarranean platter. And please give constructive & honest feedback so they can grow better. Also, try taking the stairs instead of the elevator, you may find yourself surprised...

Room Tip: Choose a room on 1st or 2nd floor, avoid 3rd floor. We got two rooms, one on 1st floor was great, th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Nicolas-James B, General Manager at Petit Ermitage, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. I am actually the new General Manager at Petit and can't wait to continue improving the already wonderful service.
I hope you can come and visit LA again very soon as I would love to introduce myself and make your stay a perfect one.

Have a great week!

Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

it's quite a perfect hotel. Small, cozy and stilish. the details of the decorations are amazing. The area is one of the rare pedestrian areas in LA, so you can actually walk around without a car in the area fulfilled with restaurant, shops etc. The hotel is in the middle of the gay area, which is surely a plus for everybody abut nightlife and shopping.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Details Details Details! You have got that right!
The owners thought of EVERY thing to make Petit Ermitage a magical experience and they continue thinking on how to improve every guest experiences.
Glad you like it!
E-mail me next time you plan a visit to LA.

Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

I love Petit Ermitage....from the moment we walked into the lobby, the gorgeous smell of candles and the quirky décor - I knew this was going to be a fabulous place. Reception initially were very good, however over the course of the week we experienced much frustration with poor lack of communication. I made several requests and on one occasion they forgot and on another when we booked a cab to pick us up from a nearby location, the cab didn't arrive (not necessarily the hotel's fault though). We then had trouble with our room key not working - this took 3 attempts to get it right. We also had issue with car rental - again, confusion from the reception staff. Despite the issues with reception, everything else in the Petit Ermitage was brilliant, hence why I've still given them 5 star.
We had room on 4th floor with balcony. Gorgeous room and we definitely want the same room when we return (we will be returning!). All the extras in the room (alcohol/chocolates etc) were lovely but we didn't purchase any of them (a little pricey). Lovely bathroom (awesome shower) and everywhere was so very clean (a huge plus point here!). Only downside in room was that there was no tea/coffee making facilities. Please add a kettle - it will make us all happier!
Now onto the roof garden - wow wow wow! Spent much time here and what an incredibly wonderful and creative space. Beautifully designed and so very relaxing and inspiring. Fabulous staff - Kurt was particularly attentive and remembered us and also the chap with red hair (sorry can't remember your name!). This makes such a difference. Thank you for doing a great job!
The salt pool although small was perfect for just relaxing and unwinding and daydreaming!
Eating in the dining area on roof garden was simply wonderful - food was good (not amazing but was very good) - great atmosphere and again brilliant service.
Breakfast was good - somewhat pricey but was okay. Breakfast serving staff not as friendly and attentive as the day/evening waiting staff but still better than most places.
One point to mention...........on the reception desk they have a jar of delicious cookies....my husband and I both had one on our penultimate day and we subsequently both had upset stomachs afterwards.......many hands in the jar could be creating a playground for germs. A pair of tongs or similar would be useful to avoid too many hands in the jar taking the cookies.
All in all, I love this place and had such a fantastic stay at Petit Ermitage. Just a few little things that need sorting (reception staff could do with a little more training in communication and efficiency). Highly recommend if you like something different and unique.
Thank you Petit Ermitage - we're so pleased we found you! We hope our next stay is even better.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Els28
We would love to keep it a secret but we have to pay the bills!
Anyways, glad you had a fabulous time with us. Call me and we can further discuss the front office comments you shared with us. E-mail me your number and a time and date at which I could call you.

Tunis, Tunisia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

I loved this hotel, the room was clean and luxurious. The rooftop terrace with the pool was really amazing and the view was extremely breathtaking. the helpdesk was so helpful. I enjoyed my stay there. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We miss you! Come back again soon!

Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

Stayed in room 104 on the first floor. The room was tucked in the back & looked out onto a small patio & landscaping/fence at a basement level. There was very little light in the room & felt very dark & dreary. I was by myself, traveling for work - but if there was another person in the room with me, it would have been crowded and hard to manage.

During the night I got to hear doors opening/shutting & the person above me tromping around. This hotel is nowhere near soundproof in any way. If this is an issue for you - you'll hate it.

The decor is "charming" I guess - but feels like it's time to freshen up. The common areas are nice enough & it has a decidedly European feel - but the decor in the room felt a little tired, dated and dark.

I tried out the fitness center - 2 bikes, 1 elliptical, & some 15 pound weights. There's also a pully type of universal system that I'm unfamiliar w/ and found clunky to use.

The location is great for West Hollywood.

The staff was extremely professional, helpful & efficient. A+ grade there. But - I would probably never stay here again because I really didn't like spending any time in my cave of a room.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Travel222Much
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

I loved ths hotel and particularly the roof deck area and restaurant. Everyone who works there was very nice.
BUT in the lobby they burn insence like candles which are very overpowering if you have sensitivities or allergies to strong aromas. Further, the aroma is blown through the ventilation system, so there is no escaping it. It is also in their bathroom soaps which is a less significant problem.
I would like to fnd a boutique hotel to use consistently for LA visits, and hoped this would be it. But
I was sneezing all weekend and can't see returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above first floor with a balcony
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,712 reviews
Sunset Marquis
Sunset Marquis
#7 of 18 in West Hollywood

Been to Petit Ermitage? Share your experiences!