“Just perfect”
Review of Petit Ermitage

Petit Ermitage
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Just got back from a two night stay here as a double celebration for my girlfriend's birthday and our one year anniversary and we are still pretty high on life right now. The entire time there we kept felt like we were just winning at life. Reading some of the negative reviews we were kind of anticipating that something would go awry but clearly some people are just difficult to please or don't anticipate that a nice hotel in West Hollywood just off the sunset strip will have expensive valet parking or mini bar items. Here's a rundown of every aspect:

Staff: I noticed that Nicholas (manager or owner, not sure) was very proactive in responding to reviews on Trip Advisor and offering his email address so I decided to send him an email ahead of the trip to see what they could at the hotel to make our stay special. One day later I received an email from Neelou saying that my email had been forwarded and that she was there to help. I talked to her on the phone and arranged for "goodies" to be waiting in our room upon arrival (which turned out to be an amazing bottle of prosecco), for a nice table at their rooftop restaurant on Saturday and for carrot cake (my gf's favorite) and bubbly to be waiting in the room after dinner. Everything happened exactly as expected. All of the other staff were impeccably attentive and super friendly, whether it was the front desk guy refusing a tip after helping take our luggage up or the poolside staff comping our first round of drinks after it took 15 minutes for them to arrive. Couldn't have asked for more in any way.

Room/Roof: the whole hotel had this kitschy, vintage 70s bohemian thing going on and it was cool without being tacky. the room wasn't huge and the balcony faces a normal West Hollywood street but it was really nice with a great bed and shower + amenities. The view from the roof was awesome as described but the best part is that we only had to travel 20 min from my apartment yet still felt secluded and away from the usual LA nonsense even when on the roof. This was key. Drinks were great, lots of levels to the roof and even though it wasn't massive, we found a great spot because they only allow hotel guests to be at the hotel. Was predictably full for a holiday weekend but not oppressive at all and everyone was behaving themselves, which was refreshing.

Restaurant: Having eaten at Fig & Olive the night before, the restaurant has a tall task in following up to that incredible meal but it totally delivered. We went light but she had some amazing gespacho (a phrase I have never uttered before today) and I had the biggest Kumamoto oysters I have ever had and a really amazing salmon and avocado tartare. Wine list was great also with a nice selection of by the glass options.

I haven't ever written a Yelp review this long but I felt compelled because we really had the perfect stay here. It's a sophisticated, adult getaway that isn't some massive resort and has really paid attention to every little detail. Not only would we go back, we are actually excited to go back. To top it all off the rates were very reasonable for a holiday weekend. It's nice to have found a place that just gets the idea of treating people well without gouging your wallet.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris N
Nicolas-James B, General Manager at Petit Ermitage, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2014

Chris,

I am really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and also for reaching out to me before your stay.
It's no surprise to read that Neelou our "Liaison Of Happiness" was able to help you with your requests. Neelou's role is to simply make everything happens for our guests and she does a great job at it.
Congratulations on your anniversary and I am sure we will have the pleasure to host your future anniversaries. You know how to reach me!

nicolas@petitermitage.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,101)

Reviewed 31 August 2014

Very unique style hotel , great roof top restaurant , good size rooms , quiet location in west Hollywood but easy to get to all attractions , easy check in , friendly staff , it's a bit far out of the Hollywood strip but a $10 cab fair to get to walk of fame . Plenty of nice cafe and restaurants near by

Room Tip: Corner suites are larger

Hello Sally,

Happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. The Walk Of Fame is not too far but far enough not to experience the craziness of Hollywood boulevard.

Hope you can come back to LA soon so that I can recommend you some other fun attractions West Hollywood has to offer!

Reviewed 27 August 2014

The Petit could and should have been a perfect little hotel, and it's a shame that my 7-day stay over there was an overall disappointment.
The rooms are big, the rooftop garden and pool are beautiful. But that's not enough.
Charging $36 a day for hotel parking is outrageous. In LA It's like charging extra for hot water.
The breakfast buffet, also at a $30 cost, is far from generous. No meat, only boiled eggs and no vegetables.
But this was not the real issue. The service was the main shortcoming. Some of the guys at front desk were inattentive, bordering on being rude. No smiles, no will to help out. Arriving early morning after a 15 hours flight, they offered me no solution other than saying "Our official check in is at 4PM". Never mind that I had made a specific request for an early check-in. After sharing my frustration with them, with me heading to the exit, I overheard one of them say "I just hate these Sh***Y guests".
Next time I would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Chamizer

Hello,

I was away for a couple of weeks so I want to apologize for not reaching out sooner. I am hoping you will contact me via e-mail with your phone number so that I may speak with you.

Looking forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Perfect location to shop, dine and relax in a trendy part of LA. Room was clean and decorated as per website. Reasonably priced and quiet rooms for the area. Swimming pool is tiny but enough to cool off in summer and relax on the many sun beds. Stayed 4 nights in the Demi-Suite. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Booked Demi suite which was the smallest but still lovely

Hello,

It's great to read that you plan on coming to visit us again. Make sure to contact me directly so that I can upgrade you and help you with your accommodations.

See you very soon I hope.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

This hotel was recommended indirectly through an old school friend via Facebook. I booked then checked reviews on Tripadvisor but was surprised at the varying reviews of this hotel.
My fears were unjust and we have just completed a very enjoyable 5 night stay at the hotel.
With only 80 rooms the hotel is boutique, the roof top a local sanctuary, and the staff laid back but very helpful. During breakfast, lunch, at the pool etc you never felt the need or pressure to close your tab and move on.
The rooms are as described and very comfortable and we had a small balcony which enabled us to have door open which is very important to us but harder to find amongst hotels in USA these days.
Location is fantastic and great walking, shopping, cafes and bars everywhere.
Thanks Petit Ermitage for a cosy and enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: We were in Room 214 and it was fine. No noise from above or side to side. We sleep early and had no...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you Harry for your review!

How soon are you planing on coming back? We all miss you very much!

Contact me next time you plan a visit.

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

While many might find the sexy location and hip veneer of this hotel mesmerizing, I only found a rude dishonesty and a lack of responsibility at the front desk. I arrived with a bonafide booking and reservation confirmation at 11:30pm. However my room had been sold to another person. It was not until 1am that the front desk staff begrudgingly assisted in finding me another room clear across town, at a much higher price category. During that time I was subjected to dishonest remarks and offered nothing to assuage the awful situation they put me in. To top it off when I tried to communicate after this ordeal with management after this event they did not follow through.

Stayed: August 2014
6  Thank Scott T
Nicolas-James B, General Manager at Petit Ermitage, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2014

Dear Scott,

The fact that the 3rd party vendor through which you booked your reservation messed up is certainly not a reason to bash our hotel specially when we did our best to help you. As you know we were completely sold out and you were not able to present any proof of reservation as well.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Great location, tucked away from the Sunset Strip, but an easy walk to local bars and restaurants. Loved the exterior of the hotel and the valet parking, we felt like film stars on arrival. The décor of the hotel was eclectic and quirky, there was always something new to spot. Check-in was efficient and welcoming and the lift staff were lovely, really friendly and down to earth. The room was 405 which had the wrap round balcony and great views over the neighbourhood. The roof top pool bar had great views over Hollywood and was great for people spotting, everyone in L.A looks famous and here was no exception. The waiting staff were friendly and attentive, we really enjoyed our evening drinks under the heat lamps with the furry throws and a couple of glasses of red. our daughter had her 13th birthday here and she recommended the cookie plate and the lemonade. We chose this hotel as a fab place for our daughter's birthday, but would have to agree that its probably somewhere that my husband and I would want to come as a couple next time.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Lulupie,

It's great to read your review and to know that you had an AMAZING time at Petit. All of our staff goes above and beyond to make every guests stay their home away from home.
We have a huge amount of repeat guests that keep coming back and stay loyal to us because of the experience that we all provide.

Hope you can come back soon, if you do make sure to contact me. Also, you may share my e-mail with anyone you know that is interested in coming to visit LA and I will be more than happy to help them with accomodations.