“nice boutique feel, impersonal service”
Review of Petit Ermitage

Petit Ermitage
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed 4 August 2009

stayed there 10 nights in a lovely room -- rooftop "scene" was fun as it's an outdoor garden and Moroccan themed pool area. The chill-out music is great if you're in Ibiza but a bit loud when wanting to sit at 7 am by the pool. Surprising the neighboring residents tolerate it. We didn't really feel anyone made an effort to know us, weren't ever addressed by name -- lacked intimacy that I'd have expected for such a small hotel. We will probably stay there again but now have lower expectations. Room was nice and quiet which was great. Expensive breakfasts ($15) when a muffin and coffee from the nearby Starbucks will do. Parking was $30/day which was a bit steep.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 July 2009

The place looks great. The location is great. The rooms are nice. BUT, you don't feel like a guest. Most of the time, friends of the owner or other wannabe actors of WH hijack the the fantastic pool area. As guests of the hotel, we didn't feel very welcom. However, the pool area has its own "liason of happiness" guy who walks around and makes sure everyone has a great time. He was pretty service-minded.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2009

Just working class, and maybe I don't know from luxury. But my idea is, once I've bought in to a place, they treat me in some miniscule, yet detectable way, like an Oriental Potentate...., well, maybe a chocolate on the pillow, maybe free coffee (hey, Motel 6 does it), free parking?! Well, they could think of something nice, couldn't they?
What's nicest with Le Petit is the quiet neighborhood near the W. Hollywood bar scene. Beyond that, expect to pay:
$30 a night to park in their basement spaces (and you can't park on the streets). Then my wife had to get in the guy's face, in Spanish, before he would back off and let us park our own car.
Other reviewers mentioned the morning coffee in a sexy silver French press. Did they say it was not preheated, thus serving up a lukewarm brew? Did they mention it is $8 and only serves one, (unless you're big on demitasse)?
Check out the cute little Butterfly Bar, and its $14 shot of medium level tequila.
Clean, quiet, safe. Rooms okay.
But I felt like a cash cow. Their cash cow. Positively bovine.
Still, I like it better than did my wife!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2009

I have now had two experiences with Hotel Le Petit -- both of them very bad. On my first stay they charged me for a number of items from the mini-bar that I had never consumed. They refunded my money and apologized so I gave it another shot and made a reservation for my next trip to L.A. I had to cancel that trip, so I sent an email to the reservations desk (two weeks ahead of my reservation). I had no response so I sent a second email. Again no response so I sent a third. Ignored again. After ignoring my three emails the hotel charged my credit card as a "no show." So far I have had no response from the hotel to my inquiry regarding this unauthorized charge.

One "mistake" I can understand. Two in a row and I begin to wonder whether these are really mistakes at all.

It''s a pretty hotel. But you are taking a big risk giving them your credit card information.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 June 2009

I work in LA often, and usually stay downtown. But from time to time I like to “adventure” out in other areas. Maybe a few nights in Pasadena. A few in Venice Beach. Trying different areas to get a better feel for the city as a whole.

A while back I decided to stay in the West Hollywood area and stumbled across this place.

I love it. My new favorite place to stay in LA.

Hotel le Petit is cool, relaxed, sexy and smart.

First – Location. Between Sunset and Santa Monica, two blocks to the Viper Room. Three blocks to the Whiskey a Go Go. Walking distance to the Troubadour and other places. A wide selection of bars, clubs and venues. Seven nights a week there is something to do and see. And of course, the restaurants in the area. Hotel le Petit is a three to six block walk to dozens of great restaurants, including a nice selection of French café’s on Sunset and places such as Nobu and the restaurants on Santa Monica. (Try Le Petit Tour.)

Second – Rooms. The rooms and hotel have an odd bohemian flair. Rugs. Ornaments. Fireplaces. Beds are nice. The place has a very warm, free and relaxing feel. Bathrooms are nice, not the best, but great amenities and they have clearly done quite a bit with what they have. I believe the building was built as apartments and the conversion to hotel leaves some of the “home” aspects intact. (Some rooms have a mini kitchen.) The art work is wonderful. The whole place feels like someone actually cares about it. There are loads of little details to be discovered.

Third – Rooftop. The rooftop pool bar / garden / lounge is amazing. There is a small polite bar with a limited but good menu. Great loungers. A nice garden. And lots of what are essentially queen sized beds set about. The setting approaches Romanesque. Breakfast in the garden is nice and polite with a nice buffet. In the cool evenings, they bring out faux fur blankets and there is an outdoor fireplace. The music is chill / downtempo / world and always nice. A great place to have an early cocktail before you wander on out into the night, or to sit and unwind after seeing a show. (Note – bar service was closing early when I was there. BYOB after about 10:30 on a weekend.)

All in all, this a romantic get away and great base to explore West Hollywood or an oasis of calm in a busy city.

I suggest looking at who is playing at the nearby venues and scheduling a two night get away and a show for a great mini escape.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 May 2009

This was the perfect location for West Hollywood - halfway between Sunset and Santa Monica Blvd. The street was quiet, but it felt safe to walk around.

The room was a good size, with a few steps separating a living area with sofa, desk etc. Everything was clean and comfortable, and on the couple of times we asked the staff for r advice, they were friendly and helpful.

I managed to get the room for a fairly decent rate through a comparison website, but the rack rate isn't so bad...

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2009

Stayed 4 nights in this hotel on business, after reading reviews on here, and getting a really good deal on Hotels.co.uk. Firstly, what to expect -do not stay here if you are looking for a more generic "chain type" of hotel,and don't stay here if you also like hotels where the staff are asking if you need help all the time, this is not really that type of hotel.

If neither of the above are of great concern to you, then I can recommend this hotel 100% I stay in about 100 hotels a year on business, and this is the first time I have written a review of one of them, it was that good.

The location is great for West Hollywood, close to everything, but tucked away on a quiet side street, and is very unassuming from the street view. there is very little noise in the hotel, as hardly any traffic goes past it.

Check in was very straightforward, and I was quickly in my room. The room was very comfortable, with air con, a gas fire (handy on cooler evenings), and the usual mini bar, plasma TV etc. Bathroom was clean with a good shower and nice toiletries, and the bed was very comfortable, and free wifi is always nice -am often irritated by the process of having to pay extra for wifi. The decor/furniture/carpet were all really nice quality, again a bit different , but relaxing and tasteful in tone. The room was split level, which really made good use of the space, and made it feel more like separate areas,which was a nice touch.

Parking is under the hotel ( I got parking included in room rate, but think that was a special offer),and there is a lift from there. The pool on the roof is a really nice laid back place to end the day, or start your day by having breakfast, which I didn't do,but it did look inviting. There is plenty of seating up there, and I was able to do some work on the laptop as well.

I had several meals in my room, and the food was very good.

As far as I can gather this is an independent hotel, and it's always nice to support individual businesses I think, a final plus point for me!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Hollywood
The Hollywood Roosevelt
The Hollywood Roosevelt
#16 of 355 in Los Angeles

Been to Petit Ermitage? Share your experiences!