“Funky and comfy. Plus, best. shower. EVER.”
Review of Petit Ermitage

Petit Ermitage
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
New Haven, Connecticut
“Funky and comfy. Plus, best. shower. EVER.”
Reviewed 18 August 2009

Thanks to TripAdvisor, I found Le Petit and eagerly booked for a 2-night stay. It was everything we hoped for.

Right around the corner from the Whiskey and the Viper Room is this hidden gem in a most peaceful neighborhood. My hubby and I were immediately taken by the eclectic and warm decor; clearly a lot of thought and consideration went into it. Check-in and check-out was easy and pleasant. The valet service was very good and all of the staff were on the ball, even when we came back at 3 a.m. after a night on the town. There was a $30/night valet parking charge but it seemed worth it.

Our room was very small with a queen bed, fireplace, flat screen TV, and a little dining area with minibar. For two people, it was perfect. There wasn't a lot of space for luggage, but we managed. I took note of the fact that the closet contained extra pillows (thank you, not all hotels do this), a safe, robes, and slippers, I think there was iron/board as well. The bathroom was nicely decorated, and when I say this was the best shower I've ever taken in a hotel, I'm not kidding. The water pressure was fabulous, and the height of the showerhead was great for my 6'+ tall husband. I literally did not want to get out of the shower. And the bath products were lovely, a brand called Lelia Sea. The bed was extremely comfortable, with nice soft sheets. The bedside alarm clock had an iPod dock, bonus! Air conditioning was perfect and we had total control of it (unlike our experience in Seal Beach). The hallways featured unique art and furniture, and the dim lighting made for a very laid-back feel. The place was generally pretty quiet, something that we appreciate.

Already happy with the interior of the hotel, we ventured onto the roof to check out the pool. It was the place to be! Great views of the hills, lots of places to sit or lay down and chill, a fireplace, and even a spot where they show movies! The bar area was nice, as was the seating area for dining, which was delightfully laden with fragrant wildflowers and attracted numerous hummingbirds. An interesting variety of music piped through speakers at a pleasant volume. Due to our short stay, we did not get to try the food but I would bet it is very good.

We were sad to leave West Hollywood and Le Petit; the hotel felt like a little piece of Europe in L.A. If that sounds appealing to you, stay here! We are so glad we did, and would defnitely return.

2 Thank SpinaciousB
K90069, Director of Marketing & Public Relations at Petit Ermitage, responded to this review, 3 January 2010
We’re so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for acknowledging our unique location, hand selected amenities and our staff. Each of our suites feature the latest waterworks fixtures and our décor includes an extensive private art collection that is unique on every floor. We’re so pleased you had the opportunity to enjoy the garden in our Private Rooftop Club - which is a nationally registered wildlife habitat – due to the number of hummingbirds and butterflies it fosters. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having the pleasure of your company again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
La Jolla, CA
Reviewed 9 August 2009

I have been coming here since this place was called Le Reve back in 1993 and the rooms went for $75 a night (aah the good old days). I stayed about five years ago just before the penultimate renovation, when it was called the Valadon. I had an ok impression of it then and have always chosen it because of its terrific location on a quiet, genteel street in West Hollywood. I had checked out the website of the new Le Petit and had seen it showcased in "The Bachelor" reality show on ABC. I said to myself, I HAVE to come here and see the new place for myself. Well, upon check-in, the room I had booked (the Executive Suite) had been taken and I was upgraded to the best room in the house #401. The room was like an apt. aprx. 650 sq. ft. and was beautifully furnished with hip but very tasteful decor. The staff from the front desk workers to the wonderful waiter, John made us feel like royalty and took care of our every need and request. I am very happy with the level of service I've seen and the renovations are spectacular and very cozy, esp. the beautiful rooftop pool and gardens which make a lovely spot for a nighttime party or dinner. This is one of the best places to stay in West LA and it is my home away from home in West Hollywood. Impeccable service, kind, courteous desk staff and wonderful ambiance make this a winner in my book. They do charge $30 for parking, but you can just leave your car in the safety of the secured garage and walk to any party spot on nearby Sunset Blvd. Awesome place! Great job, Le Petit!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Maryland
Reviewed 5 August 2009

We stayed 4 nights at Le Petit. The hotel is in a quiet neighborhood near the main attractions in West Hollywood. It is a unique boutique hotel, with beautifully decorated large rooms and bathrooms. The place was very clean. Staff was helpful and friendly. Did not get the chance to check the roof top. As others commented, everything was an added expense- including the parking. However, since paying for parking is common in big cities (i.e. New York, D.C.), we did not see it as a problem. Finally, booking the hotel through a travel site, the price was very reasonable.

London
Reviewed 4 August 2009

stayed there 10 nights in a lovely room -- rooftop "scene" was fun as it's an outdoor garden and Moroccan themed pool area. The chill-out music is great if you're in Ibiza but a bit loud when wanting to sit at 7 am by the pool. Surprising the neighboring residents tolerate it. We didn't really feel anyone made an effort to know us, weren't ever addressed by name -- lacked intimacy that I'd have expected for such a small hotel. We will probably stay there again but now have lower expectations. Room was nice and quiet which was great. Expensive breakfasts ($15) when a muffin and coffee from the nearby Starbucks will do. Parking was $30/day which was a bit steep.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 29 July 2009

The place looks great. The location is great. The rooms are nice. BUT, you don't feel like a guest. Most of the time, friends of the owner or other wannabe actors of WH hijack the the fantastic pool area. As guests of the hotel, we didn't feel very welcom. However, the pool area has its own "liason of happiness" guy who walks around and makes sure everyone has a great time. He was pretty service-minded.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed 28 July 2009

Just working class, and maybe I don't know from luxury. But my idea is, once I've bought in to a place, they treat me in some miniscule, yet detectable way, like an Oriental Potentate...., well, maybe a chocolate on the pillow, maybe free coffee (hey, Motel 6 does it), free parking?! Well, they could think of something nice, couldn't they?
What's nicest with Le Petit is the quiet neighborhood near the W. Hollywood bar scene. Beyond that, expect to pay:
$30 a night to park in their basement spaces (and you can't park on the streets). Then my wife had to get in the guy's face, in Spanish, before he would back off and let us park our own car.
Other reviewers mentioned the morning coffee in a sexy silver French press. Did they say it was not preheated, thus serving up a lukewarm brew? Did they mention it is $8 and only serves one, (unless you're big on demitasse)?
Check out the cute little Butterfly Bar, and its $14 shot of medium level tequila.
Clean, quiet, safe. Rooms okay.
But I felt like a cash cow. Their cash cow. Positively bovine.
Still, I like it better than did my wife!

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 7 July 2009

I have now had two experiences with Hotel Le Petit -- both of them very bad. On my first stay they charged me for a number of items from the mini-bar that I had never consumed. They refunded my money and apologized so I gave it another shot and made a reservation for my next trip to L.A. I had to cancel that trip, so I sent an email to the reservations desk (two weeks ahead of my reservation). I had no response so I sent a second email. Again no response so I sent a third. Ignored again. After ignoring my three emails the hotel charged my credit card as a "no show." So far I have had no response from the hotel to my inquiry regarding this unauthorized charge.

One "mistake" I can understand. Two in a row and I begin to wonder whether these are really mistakes at all.

It''s a pretty hotel. But you are taking a big risk giving them your credit card information.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Hollywood
The Hollywood Roosevelt
The Hollywood Roosevelt
#15 of 351 in Los Angeles

Been to Petit Ermitage? Share your experiences!