“Good....but”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Sydney
“Good....but”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

Booked this hotel online and paid for a one bedroom suite. When i arrived they told me that they had overbooked the hotel and i would now be in a standard room. How does this happen???? the manager was nice but i didn't receive a discount or any compensation. I flew a long way to stay there, but never again. Very poor Mondrian

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jungleboy70
Daniel G, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Hi Jungleboy70

Thank you for taking your time and posting about your most recent stay here at Mondrian. I am sadden to here that your trip wasn't up to Mondrian standards. If you decide to come visit us again. Please contact myself before hand and I would love to compensate you for the inconvenience. Here is my email which you can contact me (Daniel.gonzalez@mhgc.com). Thank you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Mondrian for 4nights as part 2 of our 3 week honeymoon. When we arrived we were greeted by a really nice lady on reception who congratulated us and up-scaled us to a larger suite on the 4th floor... We arrived into a massive room which in all fairness is beautifully decorated but not really practical. The room is so large and yet the bathroom was tiny... personally we didn't really like that when you showered there is see through glass in the shower right into the bedroom ..so very little privacy... also a bath would have been nicer in a suite.. sounds fussy but just thought there would have been bit bigger..They kindly had free bottle champaign delivered complimentary to our room which was such a lovely thought and greatly appreciated....
Now... dont get a room beside a lift.. this is a party hotel great if you want to party but we were still jet lagged from long haul flight and the noise after the late nite bar is closed is just crazy. We had to contact reception several times in one night it got so bad.. so stay far away from lift area... Not the hotels fault but not fair if you need sleep.

Bed is not comfortable at all very hard... location is very good near cafes, bars, restaurants so if you looking for fun-filled hotel with great location this is defo for you. The concierge were great so helpful the best I have seen in any hotel. The food was lovely, was expecting more with all the rave reviews it got, nice but wouldn't say it was the best I have ever had...

Issue - One of the evenings we arrived down to have a drink in the pool bar, and at the door was rudely informed by a lady (if you want to call her that) that the area was off limits due to some form of a concert promotion night, that there was a list for who was allowed in and that to go to the other bar as it was just as good, (the other bar is tiny its not a bar it has approx 8 stools thats it!! When we said we were staying in the hotel is rudely informed us she didnt care and could we not understand what she had just informed us...and to please leave immideately.
I had to bite my tongue, I had paid good money to stay here and to be spoken to in that manner disgusted me. we left the hotel and went for drinks elsewhere... I have not idea if she ignorant woman worked for hotel or not but she she learn how to be more polite... her hospitality has alot to be desired!!!!!!!!

Overall nice hotel to stay in, location great, food good, pool area fab and bar fab... worth staying here especially the hospitality cannot fault this...(*bar the issue above)

Room Tip: Dont get a room beside elevator, the noise at night is really bad if you want to sleep dont get one...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Daniel G, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Hi DaFairy,

Thank you for taking your time and writing a pleasant comment about your most recent stay here at Mondrian. That's very unpleasant to hear that you had a issue at the bar during your stay. Next time you come visit our hotel email me directly (Daniel.gonzalez@mhgc.com) and I would love to take care of you for the incident you experience at the bar. Come visit us soon!
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

We spent two fun nights in LA as part of our honeymoon. The Mondrian treated us like royalty. We stayed in suite #1022 with magnificent views of Los Angeles. The location of this hotel is ideal if you want to be in the center of all things fun and if you want to be able to walk to restaurants etc. The staff were friendly and the Skybar is a must visit if you enjoy watching people - and people watching you !! We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Get one of the suites on the top floors
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi dorispulitzer,

Thank you for the excellent comment about your most recent stay here at Mondrian. We love for you to come visit us in the near future. Thanks again.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

A lot of the decor is not to my taste but their one bedroom suites are spacious have hardwood floors which I love and I appreciate the way the layout creates privacy for me when I'm there (short hallway as a buffer between the door and living room, nice heavy door between the living room and bedroom). The staff and service have been on point, friendly and helpful but not in my hair. Breakfast available in the lobby is exactly what I want/ need when traveling: hardboiled eggs and fruit, strong coffee and a newspaper. Not too much fuss. The view from the restaurant, if I have enough time to sit for a moment, is really tranquil and nice in the mornings as well. Three visits and counting, which speaks for itself.

I once did have a bizarre experience where in the middle of the night I was woken up by the smell of cigarette smoke. I called down to let them know, and to check and see if someone was smoking in the hallway. They handled it gracefully and offered breakfast the next day which I thought was very kind- I imagine running a hotel like that is like being a baby sitter big time, but I also can see how it might happen again with parties etc going on which is why I gave it an average for sleep quality and cleanliness.

It does have the Euro-trash party vibe that all of the Morgans hotels have but it is surprisingly functional for me!

Room Tip: I love and have only stayed in the one bedroom suites. If you can get a city view, rather than a vie...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Hi MissBizTravelz,

Thank you for the pleasant comment about your most recent stay here at Mondrian. The layout of our guest rooms are very spacious for any size family/group staying with us. I am happy to hear that the small issue you experience was handle in a quick and efficient manner. Come visit us soon.
Dubai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

Great location and design- stayed here on the last leg of a California road trip and it is in a great location to walk/cab to some fantastic nightspots and restaurants. We had a Junior Suite which was a great size, floor to ceiling windows with views over LA and the hills/mountains which was great both during the day and night. Room service was excellent- best burger I had on the trip, and the Sky bar was a great spot to relax with drinks around the pool and into the wee hours.
Loved the mirror/TV in the room.

Room Tip: High floor facing House of Blues gives great views day and night
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Hi Hannah M,

Thank you for the wonderful comments about your most recent stay at Mondrian. Please come visit us again! Cheers!
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights and were overall very happy. Had fantastic views of LA from our funky suite which was very well designed and furnished. Would have loved to make use of the bar and pool but was way too overcrowded to enjoy. The service received was always excellent and accomodating.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Daniel G, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Hi PhoencianPrincess,

Thank you for the pleasant comment about your recent stay at Mondrian. The views from our hotel are outstanding. Best in West Hollywood. Please come visit us soon!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

The hotel has great design and our room, while not huge, looked very peaceful and welcoming. We were on the top floor with sweeping views of LA. The room was very quiet which is what we asked for. Went to Skybar one evening, which was a 'guests only' night - happening and great atmosphere and cocktails but not crowded, which is a good combination. The hotel is very close to fantastic restaurants and nightlife spots and it's very easy to get a taxi. The only complaint is the cost of valet parking.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi Chrisik_A,

Thank you for the incredible comments on your recent stay at Mondrian. The hotel atmosphere just oozes sexy, wild and fun. Thanks again and come visit us soon!