“Not worth the money ”

Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

This was my 2nd visit to Sunset Strip. We last stayed at the Andaz we wished we had stayed there again...

Location is ok but nothing really happens on Sunset. We reserved a double room with 2 x queen beds. Not sure why but the bed sheets smelt like they had not been washed. Wi Fi connection was terrible hardly worked throughout our stay. The shower was very hard to use and the water would actually stop running whilst you were in the shower covered in shampoo! We made a few complaints, they just said it would be fixed but nothing was done. The room was spacious and the views were lovely as we were facing Hollywood.

Overall the service was good, Greg Events Manager was helpful and provided us with some good places to eat at. Pool bar located in the hotel was lovely but the drink prices were insane!

Just make sure if you are to book the double decker bus tour and you get off visit Venice Beach, beware the bus ride back to Hollywood took 3.5 hours!!!!

Overall an ok stay but would not stay here again. We should have stayed at either Andaz or Roosevelt Hollywood for some more action.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Nicolas-JB, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Dear Simmo1975,

Thank you for your feedback, First and foremost I would like to apologize for the smell of your sheets. This is the first time I hear of such a complaint and thank you for bringing this to my attention. As for the WIFI, I would like to apologize if you experienced problems with its connectivity. I would be more than happy to adjust the charges for you. Just e-mail me your information and I will go ahead and remove them from your bill.

It's always disheartening to hear that we have missed the mark with one of our guests. I apologize that your experience was disappointing and we would like to make it up to you. I guarantee you that if you give us another chance you will not be disappointed. I would love to be your ally moving forward and will take great care of you.

You may contact me via e-mail at nicolas.black@mhg.com

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 25 October 2013

So, if you don't know exactly where this hotel is, you better have GPS! There is no signage in front, or anywhere in this hotel that matter. The only way we knew that we were at the right place was because the GPS told us so! When we pulled up, we asked the bellman, who confirmed it. There are 2 giant wooden doors that face the street, so I guess this is how people recognize it!

The decor is very sparse and the walls are all white. There is no art on the walls, just oddly shaped chairs placed around (some almost randomly). It made for some fun photos (some don't look like chairs), but it definitely lacked any warmth. The staff were nice and quite helpful upon check-in.

Although our room was quite nice and comfortable (we had a corner room with a view of the city and the pool) again, there was no art on the walls and most things were white. I'm all for modern design, but it just felt kind of cold and not so welcoming.

The hallways are quite dark, with the exception of a square hole in the wall with a strobe light when you get off the elevator. I get what they are going for, but with a name like "The Mondrian", I expected to see some cool modern clean art with pops of primary colors. Seems that accent color in the hotel is orange, which doesn't really have much to do with the De Stijl art movement.

Overall, it seems pretty well located although you definitely need a car. The staff were helpful (for the most part) and it was clean. I generally prefer to stay somewhere that feels a little more welcoming and less like a modern experiment, but it was pretty good.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Luis S, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2015

Thank you Loves_good_things for your feedback, it is very much appreciated.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Wow, this place is fabulous for those that love contemporary design (which I do).

All staff was wonderful - and especially helpful when we made a couple of special requests (thank you front staff & reception)!

The room blew my mind with its modern décor and swivel TV! Their super comfortable bed was perfect.

The location is great for those that don't have a vehicle, as many restaurants are within walking distance.

The pool area / Skybar at night is especially gorgeous. What a wonderful atmosphere they created for hotel guests to have evening drinks. They even have special theme nights throughout the week.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you aidapk for your feedback, it is very much appreciated.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

I love the Mondrian. Very hip and unique. The outside pool area and Sky Bar are incredible and a nightly hot spot. My room was large and very comfortable. Modern furnishings, very bright, great view. Comfortable bed and work space. Great location for shopping and dining in west hollywood.

Room Tip: Ask about quiet rooms - mine was quiet and I was on the 4th floor. A friend was on the 1st and it wa...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Luis S, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2015

Thank you LJ H for your great review.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Stayed here for 3 days at the start of our honeymoon. The room was fantastic with a panoramic view of West Hollywood and Downtown. Great toiletries in the room and lots of lovely soft towels. Bed was mega comfortable. Lovely staff at reception - always asking if everything was OK. The pool bar was an experience and we enjoyed people watching one hot sunny afternoon.
Near to lots of restaurants and bars ideal for a short stay with everything you could possibly need.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you Sunseeker290657 for your great review.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

My wife and I went away for the weekend for her 40th bday, and we decided on the Mondrian Hotel. The check-in process was friendly and efficient and our room was large and well-appointed. So far, so good. We next went down to the pool area to lay out. The music was good and the wait staff attentive. It was when we returned to our room to get ready for dinner that things started to go awry. The shower head had poor water pressure, which was probably due to a faulty gasket, as water was leaking from the head where it attaches to the pipe in the wall. Next, we noticed on the floor next to the waste bin an old french fry, and a pubic hair on the underside of the toilet seat. Before dinner, we stopped by the front desk to inform the staff that our room needed to be cleaned...again. He was very apologetic and offered us some drink tickets for the Sky Bar and a late check out, which was nice. The gentleman couldn't have handled the situation better. All in all, a good experience, but we probably won't stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
nicolas b, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. First, I'd like to apologize. Your review is definitely concerning and I would like to discuss it further with you. Regarding housekeeping; the fact that the room was not up to standards is unacceptable,and secondly, very surprising. I have looked into this already and will continue to investigate until I can find a reason for this oversight.
We spend substantial time ensuring that the property and its guest rooms are fresh and clean daily. We are almost obsessed with ensuring that all of our guests find the property (both public space and rooms) to be in pristine condition at any given time. We update and refresh constantly as service and ambiance stand atop the list priorities at Mondrian.
If you do have plans to return to Los Angeles and change your mind about staying with us, please contact me at nicolas.black@mhgc.com. I would like to personally handle your next accommodations so as to give you the first hand example of what all of the well traveled and discriminating reviewers on this page are referring to.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed here for our first 3 nights of honeymoon - this is a cool hotel. A bit too cool for my husband and I but that doesn't mean we didn't enjoy ourselves tremendously!
The SkyBar is the ultimate in celeb spotting (if you are from the UK) - all the premiership football stars were staying when were there! Imagine my shock as I'm sunbathing and Ashley Cole saunters past!
To die for cocktails and lunches were fab by the pool. We ended up doing so little in LA but chilling round the skybar pool because it was just such a great spot for ppl watching and chilling out (what you need after organizing a wedding!).

Would definitely recommend staying here if you don't take yourselves too seriously - I say that, because if you do then you will end up feeling the need to "compete" with all the beautiful people around you instead of enjoying them!!!

Oh on the room, we were upgraded to a suite which was fabulous. We had a separate living room/bedroom and the wetroom was just fab!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
nicolas b, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Hello,

Thank you for taking time to give us the amazing feedback! I'm very happy to hear that all aspects of your stay were spot on. Congratulations on your honeymoon it seems like Mondrian turned out to be the perfect place to spend it for a few days!
Sky Bar is definitely the place to be when in town and you can always spot some celebrities.
I am not surprised to read that my team upgraded you to our one bedroom suite for your honeymoon, they are simply the best!
Do not forget to contact me next year to come and celebrate your 1st anniversary with us. You may e-mail me at nicolas.black@mhgc.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Hollywood
#8 of 19 in West Hollywood
Le Montrose Suite Hotel
Le Montrose Suite Hotel
#13 of 19 in West Hollywood

Been to Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel? Share your experiences!