“The best of Los Angeles”

Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersBronze level
West Coast
“The best of Los Angeles”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

The Mondrian Hotel was kind enough to house this LA native while the burst pipes in my apartment were fixed. The staff took such great care and went out of their way to make this glamorous jewel feel like my home. There is non better in LA.
The refurbished rooms blew me away- so chic, yet not pretentious. The Malin & Goetz bath products rank as some of my favorites. I order dinner in my room and it was quick and delicious. (I always try the hamburger wherever I stay. This short rib burger ranks as one of the best).
The Morgans Group hotels are in a class by themselves. Yet also affordable for the traveller who can spend a little bit more without wanted to drain the bank.
The staff go out of their way to be accommodating and welcoming.
My only complaint, which I have for all LA hotels is the overnight valet cost is outrageous.
But that's a small complaint when you're dealing with one of the best hotels in town.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Nicolas-JB, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Andrew,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review of our hotel. We really take pride in making sure all of our guest have nothing but the best experience with us.
I am so happy that we accommodated you during what must have been a difficult time for you. It's never a fun experience when pipes burst into your house.

Did you get a chance to experience our new restaurant Herringbone? It's delicious and Thomas Schoos did an incredible job designing the space. I would love to show you around if you have a chance (I will take care of the parking ;) )

See you in the neighborhood.

nicolas.black@mhgc.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

Had a wonderful stay at the Mondrian Los Angeles.Rooms were amazing.Front desk staff was wonderful and staff at the new restaurant Herringbones was great.one exception ...your security was rude and unprofessional.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Nicolas-JB, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Hello,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to fill out this review.
I am glad that you had a great stay and had the opportunity of enjoying our new restaurant Herringbone. The fact that you find our security staff rude and unprofessional is concerning to me and I would love to know what happened. You can contact me directly at nicolas.black@mhgc.com.

Montclair, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

My stay at the Mondrian was excellent in many ways. Comfortable, stylish rooms. Very prompt room service with good food. Great front desk and concierge service. The problem: I stayed at the hotel for four nights. On two of these nights there were guests up all night on my floor partying and talking very loudly in the hallway. I called the front desk multiple times and I'm sure they did their best but the noise continued. I could not sleep. I've heard from others that this is not uncommon at this hotel. I hope the Mondrian can find some way to solve this as, otherwise, the hotel was great.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sara E
Dear Sara,

I am glad that you are stay was excellent in many ways . I am so sorry to read that your night was disturbed by some disrespectful guests. Our security team patrols our property and our guest floors on a constant basis but I apologized if they were not able to get there on a timely manner to stop the noise.
Please do not hesitate contacting me if you plan to come visit LA. I would love to be your ally for the future.

Carmel, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

Control. Your. Security.

You would think that such a "fancy, high class hotel" would have given their security proper training opposed to treating anyone who even LOOKS like a teenager complete crap. Re-evaluate your staff.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you have teenage girls, unless you want to be treated horrible.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Hannah B
Nicolas-JB, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear Hannah,

I would love to hear what happened exactly that you feel this way. please feel free to contact me directly. My e- mail address is listed below.

Unfortunately we had some celebrities this past week-end who went ahead and released information about where they were staying and therefore many parents decided to book rooms at our hotel in hopes their daughter would be able to meet with them. Some of the teenage daughters were left unsupervised and thought it would be a great idea to wander the hallways and knock at the doors of all guestrooms in hopes that their idols would answer the door. As you can imagine, we had to take immediate action as our number one priority is the safety and privacy of all of our guests. I am again sorry if you felt like we were too abrasive.

Riverside, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

My friends and I were so excited to stay in such a fancy hotel. The price was a stretch for us but we split the cost for a fun night out. Evidently there was a band staying at the hotel that night and the place was swarming with excited teen girls hoping to get a glimpse. My friends and I went out that evening and when we walked back into the lobby and were greeted by THREE security guards who angrily let us know that "IF" we were staying with teen girls and "IF" they see them in the halls or running in the lobby tonight, we will be thrown out. I was berated in a public place for something I did not even do. The teen girls did not bother us one bit. It was kind of cute to see them all around so anxious to see their idols. It was the security that was a nuisance. They were constantly questioning us and making us feel as if we had no business being in the hotel at all. It seems that if they have a hotel in Hollywood, they should know how to handle a situation like this a little better. To say that this hotel was not warm and welcoming would be an understatement. For the entire stay I felt that I was constantly reminded that I was not in my element and I did not belong. When we were leaving we talking to another gentleman that was staying with his two teen girls and he said his treatment was the same and he would never stay at this place again. He said if the hotel is for 21 and older it should be stated as such. I agree.

The room was lovely and the view was fabulous but to be treated as second class when you pay a first class rate was beyond disappointing. I was happy to leave. This is a hotel for young adults who want the party scene - not a relaxing place for sightseers or for families with young teenage girls apparently.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Michelle F
Nicolas-JB, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Michelle,

I am sorry to read about your experience at our hotel. As you can read in many Tripadvisor reviews, our staff is friendly and goes above and beyond to make our guests always feel like they are at home. I am disappointed that you did not find this to be the case.
I would love to speak further about your stay if you have a chance.

My sincere apologies again if we did not meet your expectations.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Always have been a fan of this hotel. I had friends stay here over the weekend and as always they were pleased with their stay, we spent Saturday night enjoying the Skybar and had a nice time but the new restaurant food odor was taking over the whole lobby. Everything smelled like friend fish. Such a turn off.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Schugie
Hello Shuggie,

Pleased to read that you are a big fan of Mondrian. As for the odor in the lobby on Saturday night I am not sure what it was but our new restaurant does not serve any fried dishes. I have not heard any other complaints about the smell but I will definitely look into this.
Let me know next time you plan on coming here as I would love to invite you for a cocktail at our new restaurant so that you can see what we are all about.

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

The Mondrian West Hollywood, the original boutique design hotel in L.A. still lives up to its promise. The lobby is clean, minimalist yet bright and cheerful. Even after the renovation, still retains its whimsy (there is a swing in the lobby). I was upgraded to junior studio which was about 500+ square feet. It had a large separate seating area, panoramic views West towards downtown, a wet bar, and of course the very designed and glassed-in shower (visible to the rest of the room if desired). The bed was a California-king size and very fluffy although a bit soft for my taste (I prefer a very firm mattress). High-speed Internet was included which was refreshing. Surprisingly, the hotel was walking distance from most points I was going to while in L.A. including an Equinox gym. Like all of L.A. a car is absolutely necessary or prepare for spending more on taxis. The staff was very friendly (this is Southern Cali after all), professional and attentive without being overbearing. The Skybar is still fun. While I was there they were preparing to reopen the restaurant but still provided a full sit-down breakfast. Skybar has excellent drinks and pool-side food (sandwiches, burgers, etc.).

Pluses: Location, style, comfort, service.
Minuses: Valet is expensive (as are all hotels of this kind). Restaurant is pricey but good.

Room Tip: Like many hotels, if you arrive early, you may get upgraded at a nominal fee to a much more luxuriou...
Green Features: Typical energy efficient bulbs, dimmers and zoned temperature control. Option to have linens/towels changes every few days to save energy
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Ted D
Hello Ted,

Very happy knowing that you keep staying at Mondrian every time you come to LA. Next time you will be pleasantly surprise with our new restaurant Herringbone which was not open during your last stay.
You summed up everything about what Mondrian is all about, please make sure to contact me directly next time you plan a visit to West Hollywood so that I can help you book a reservation and be your ally. Thank you for your repeat business.

Cheers,