“Top location, stylish and funky hotel”

Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersBronze level
Podgorica, Montenegro
“Top location, stylish and funky hotel”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Hotel is situated in one of the best LA neighborhoods. You can get to Beverly Hills by foot within minutes. In spite its central location, some sort of transportation is needed if you want to get to all interesting places due to enormous size of the city. Regarding hotel itself, we were reluctant to use anything from minibar or hotel services due to ridiculously high prices. For instance, they charge $13 for bottle of water, and $45 for EU-US power adapter. For instance, in Europe many hotels provide adapter free of charge (you have to return it during check-out). They charge $20 for Wi-Fi per day, $33 is price tag for parking etc. On the other hand, staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Srdjan S
Nicolas-JB, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Hello,

Mondrian as you mentioned is in a prime location so prices are going to be higher than other parts of the city as you can imagine but they are definitely in line with the rest of the surrounding hotels.
As for the internet it's $10 not $20 but you will be happy to read that we currently have a special offer that we just launched that gives you complimentary WIFI if you book directly via Tripadvisor.

Best,

nicolas.black@mhgc.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Broken bedside lamps, no tooth brush, shoe box size rooms, breakfast that only starts from 8am at weekends, no complimentary water in room.... things just look worn and tired - they are clearly leveraging the name and not delivering on the brand promise of the chain. I can never normally be compelled to write reviews, but I really feel this knowledge needs to be shared...

Neither bad or good: This hotel also seems to be quite popular with mainland Chinese people - the furniture in the rooms is typically the type of faux stuff mainlanders love back home!

For the same rate, you could be staying at the much more cared for and hip London or W....to name a couple. On the plus side, Mondrian is on sunset and the location is pretty cool. But for what get, it just does not make sense.

In summary, this is NOT a five start hotel - four at the best.

Room Tip: standard rooms are the size of a shoebox; sunset side can be a little noisy at night.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank olro_trip
Good or bad: I find your comments about Chinese people inappropriate.

Langenthal, Switzerland
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself certainly is one of the best ones I have ever stayed in. We got a great and spacious room overlooking Sunset. Bed was very comfortable, bath was great as well. Staff was very attentive and re-arranged room service times for us. So far so good. Now there's also a pool bar at the hotel, the Skybar, which is or should be or once was one of the top bars in LA. Now I don't really know how a hotel can be this upscale and still have torn worn-out linens over the pool chairs. Or how you could serve a $100 wine from a bottle with a twist-off cap (!) and in plastic cups. That for us just dragged down the whole hotel experience a lot. It feels like they are living off their name, and the hotel should do something about it. But apart from that I can absolutely recommend a stay at the Mondrian.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Nicolas-JB, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Jake,

Glad you had a great time with us and that it is one of the best hotel you have ever stayed in.
It seems like you had a different experience at Sky Bar. Being European myself it is not common for us to be drinking wine from a twist off bottle but times have changed and below is an interesting article I read about screw caps vs corked wine bottles:

"I think the days of associating screwcaps with cheap and pedestrian wines are over, or at least coming to an end. I can think of plenty of high-profile, expensive, terrific wines with a twist-off, and many cheap and pedestrian wines are under cork.

Producers have switched to screwcaps and other closures to ensure quality and reduce the possibility of contamination with TCA (the chemical compound 2,4,6-trichloroanisole), which can get into a wine via a faulty cork and make a wine smell musty and damp.

I still see some hesitation to bottle wines intended for long-term aging under screwcaps—the thinking is that wine collectors who know how wines evolve under cork will be less certain how that same wine would evolve with a screwcap. But as more and more producers are using screwcaps, there are more tastings of wines aged under this topper, and the results are encouraging. From what I’ve seen, screwcapped wines do evolve, just at a slower rate. I’m certainly looking forward to the day when I want to open a bottle of wine I’ve been collecting for a long time and not have to worry about a) the wine having TCA, b) it showing signs of oxidation, and c) fussing with crumbly corks.

That’s not to say I’m a topper snob. I’m still making my wine purchases based on the juice inside, not the way the wine is topped. As far as storing a wine with a screwcap, you don’t have to worry about which way to store it, unlike cork, which might dry out if you don’t store it horizontally. I just use my wine racks for all my bottles."

I was really surprised when I read this article but it makes sense.

As for the plastic glasses you mentioned, those are actually top quality and expensive poly carbonate glassware that we use. Real glassware is forbidden by any pool in the US. Can you imagine if someone broke a glass and some pieces would fall in the pool?

Anyways, I would love to be your ally next time you plan on visiting LA so make sure to e-mail me directly. It would be my pleasure to have a wine tasting and exchange thoughts on wine.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 March 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights (we are from Australia) and it was great! Good location with lots of iconic places nearby or a short taxi or bus ride away. The service from staff was faultless and impeccable. The room was a good size, modern, comfy bed heat view however we were on the 11th floor and we could the people directly above every time they were walking around and I don't think the windows were double glazed as sirens and other outside noise easily woke up but perhaps being Aussies we weren't use to all that noise.

The restaurant 'Herringbone' was great! The food was incredible and the wait staff were very attentive and the ambience and layout was beautiful. We went for breakfast and dinner. We could hear people talking on the tables next to us and it seems like they were producers, writes etc for various TV Shows so that was very cool.

Really great hotel!

• Stayed February 2014
Nicolas-JB, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Nikki,

Thank you so much for staying with us.
I am not surprised to read your wonderful remarks of our hotel. We have a fantastic staff, amazing restaurant Herringbone and Sky Bar is nothing but a fun experience.
I would love to be your ally in the future so do not hesitate contacting me directly in the future.

Have a great week-end!

Sydney
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Very nice hotel in a good location. Right next to Blues Bar, and plenty of bars/restaurants in walking distance.
Hop On Hop Off bus stops directly across the street, found this a good way of getting around but we were there in quiet season.
I found cabs in LA very cheap compared to Australia so used them to go to Universal Studios (about $20) and other attractions.

Good location and staff go the extra mile.

They like to "upgrade" you on arrival, think they do this to everyone as read other reviews saying the same. "sir I can put you on the 4th floor, oh no, how about the 6th" WOW !

Room Tip: Put us on the city side as apparently quieter but they find a good reason for everything
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Todd,

Hope you are enjoying the end of Summer in Australia! Once Winter arrives for you, you know what to do.....that is to come back and spend the summer with us (Winter felt like summer in LA this year by the way).

Thank you so much for taking the time to fill out this great review. Make sure to e-mail me directly in the future so that I can take personal care of you.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 February 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Mondrian for our anniversary, and all I can say is I wish we had known about it when we originally flew to the states for our honeymoon! The service by all staff was great, especially when they managed to check us in early after arriving at the hotel in the morning after a long flight from Australia.

The room was the best we stayed in on our trip, which included stops in Vegas and NY. Huge in size, enormous and comfy bed and the included toiletries (maybe known as amenities in the US?) with the room were a nice touch.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable stay which unfortunately did not last long enough. Thankfully we will be rectifying that when we travel back for our 5 year anniversary at the end of 2014

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew M
Hello,

You could not have described the experience at Mondrian any better. We are all glad to read that you had a wonderful anniversary trip with us and that Mondrian was the highlight of this special occasion.

Most of our rooms are very spacious as Mondrian use to be an apartment building. This is one of the many reasons why our loyal guests (and there are many) come back to stay with us. Not only are our rooms spacious but they also have amazing views from every side of the hotel.

Next time you plan to come and visit us, make sure to contact me directly as I would love to be your ally before, during and after your stay!

Mamaroneck, New York
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The Mondrian is one of my favorite hotels in LA. They have just finished a lobby and restuarant remodel and it has become even better. The is now a quieter lobby bar vs. the Sky Bar.

The staff here is top notch and provide excellent service. The hotel is in a great location in West Hollywood making it an easy trip to Beverly Hills or Burbank area.

Room Tip: If you want a room that might be a little quieter, ask for a city or Sunset view. The late night no...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Eric,

Thank you for always being such a loyal guest to our company. It's always a pleasure to have you stay with us.
Next time, please make sure to contact me directly so that I can secure your accommodations and be your ally.

Come back soon!