“Great night and incredible room upgrade”

Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersBronze level
NYC
“Great night and incredible room upgrade”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Spent 1 Saturday night at the Mondrian, and was definitely a great experience. I booked a standard room, and was upgraded to a corner suite with incredible views. The check-in experience was professional and accommodating. I loved the gigantic room and extremely comfortable bed.
They did a great job renovating the rooms, and felt like home away from home. Service was wonderful and I would definitely stay there again.
I was originally going to book a room at another one of my favorite hotels in town (The London), but since it was twice the price, I thought I would save the money for dinner and drinks. I'm quite glad that I did.
If you plan on sleeping early, this might not be the hotel for you, since it's definitely a party scene. Or, you should definitely ask for a room not facing the pool.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Luis S, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Hello billybluenyc,

I am glad you enjoyed the scene here as well as the upgraded room. Please reach out to me in the future should you return to LA.

Luis.saldana@mhgc.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here overnight and loved it! The staff are all very nice and we loved the complimentary upgrade. Our suite was huge and very chic. We especially loved the pool area. Only bad thing I have to say is that it took forever to get served at the pool. Other than that, this is a great spot!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Luis S, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Hello Travelbirds0809,

Thank you for choosing Mondrian LA, I'm delighted to hear you had a great experience with us. I do apologize that the service at the pool did not meet your expectations. Please feel free to reach out to me in the future should you visit us again.

luis.saldana@mhgc.com
Ferndown, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Overall id I could give it a 6 out of 5 I would.
Staff were very friendly, the rooms were immaculate, the service second to none.
The skybar is a must for anytime of day but especially in the evening.

The only thing that stopped working was the TV remote, but once called, was replaced in no more than 15 mins !

Situated pretty close to Hollywood itself and just around the corner from Bel Air, it really is just a nice place to be.

When I return to LA next time I will definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: We had a twin double room, ample room and a very col TV built in to the mirror
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Carl B
Luis S, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Carl B,
Thank you for your feedback, I'm glad that you enjoyed your time with us here at Mondrian. I'm also happy to hear that the remote issue was fixed immediately.

Houston, Texas, USA
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I booked on Priceline for a 4.50 star hotel at the West Hollywood or border with Beverly Hills for $380 a night each for two night (Saturday and Sunday in month of May). Thinking that the general going rate for a 5 star hotel is around that. When I walked into the hotel lobby it was a total disappointment. The lobby looked like a one star hotel arrangement, void of any thing that look like a 2 star. On top of that all hotel guest would be charge a whopping $37 for mandatory valet parking. This is extremely high for a 2 star hotel quality room.
First I located the hotel but could not find the entrance, after making two wide circling and asking people finally found the entrance (no clear sign). There were 3 or 4 valet parking attendant eager to drive the car away because the temporary space in front of the front entrance can only accomodate 3 to 4 cars. With 4 big baggage in my truck, the valet did not bother to help to lift the luggage out of the trunk onto the ground. No other porter seems to be found.

The lobby was painted with milky yellowish white pants and no decorations, no pictures, no plant, empty wall all around. A very strange feeling setting foot into the small lobby.

Dragging my luggage onto the sixth floor and when the elevator door opens up, the hall way was dim. It was purposely designed to have as little light as possible to create that chic atmosphere some XYZ generations appreciated. My wife was feeling uncomfortable at the dim hall way.

The room was small, like 300 square feet with a 150 sq ft balcony. Mondrain Los Angeles called it the Studio King. A round table, two chair and a huge pot of two feet diameter and a fake plant of 4 foot tall. This pot takes up a good size real estate in this room. The flat screen TV is sandwiched in a "Alice in Wonder Land" Mirror type setup. The bath room is small. The room seem aged and need a good deal of renovation. There is no dresser to put my cloths in and my clothes would remain in my luggage. I take what I want to wear from my luggage and put my tired clothing back into the luggage (i said, no dresser, remember?). I would have paid $60 to $80 for this 2 star quality room.

As I checked in the room at 7pm, the balcony was facing the hotel pool. There was a loud party going on. this is the hotel special setting where they have their "SKY BAR" attached to the pool. It must have 200 people partying. loud Music were blasting as people were dancing, drinking, a pick-up joint.

If I am in my 20s, this would be a perfect spot in the right neighborhood to stay. However, i did not know before i book the hotel. For other reviewer who gave this hotel a full thumb up was because the atmosphere fit their age - not me. I am in my 60 and it was a totally wrong choice location.

The music goes on until 11pm.

The next day, I phoned in to the housekeeping asking for coffee making machine and if there is any coffee or tea amenities. The reply was that there was none.

When we came back to the hotel at 6pm on Sunday, it was the same party scene with loud music. The double glass patio door does cut down the noise a bit but still bother me.

The car I rent was $18 per day but i have to pay $37 just to park it. I would not like to park on the street fearing it would be stolen or damage. i guess that was the big price to pay for a piece of mind.

This hotel is targeting the rich and famous and with lot of money to burn for the XYZ generations. I would not stay here again even if their price dropped to half. I got cheated by Priceline. I stayed in some 20s different hotels per year for the last 30 years and I know what a 2 star, a 4 star, a 5 star, a 6 star hotel look like. Mondrain, you are no 4.5 star !!!!

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel if you are over 50 or 60 years old. May be a great locations for the 20s...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank baketown89
Hello Baketown89,
Thanks for your gracious feedback, I do appreciate your honesty and understand that the seen here did not meet your expectations. This is not the seen we are known for and hope that you give us another chance in the near future.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We initially booked a king room which we had to be moved from as the TV unit kept making loud pitched ringing tones. We were certainly looked after and upgraded into a suite which we very much appreciated. Over all this hotel is ok, but desperately requires renovation to upgrade the rooms. The furniture is grubby and worn and lacks the maintenance required. We had to fix a shower head and light fitting in our room. Not a home from home hotel, just a dodgy stopover.
Sorry Mondrian!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Travelshell76
Hello Travelshell76,
Thank you for your review, your feedback is important to us and we will improve in the areas that are needed.

Luis S
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed at the Mondrian for a week recently on a business trip to LA. I chose for our group of 10 to stay at the Mondrian to save a bit of money. In hindsight, we probably should have just paid a bit more and stayed someplace else. The hotel has done a lot to fix the noise issue with sunset blvd, but it was still very noisy. The hotel also just has a bit too much of a club feel for my taste (especially on a business trip). And it is starting to feel a bit dated. I had a very nice suite with a huge shower, but the shower had tons of mildew in in.

Net net, probably would have been fine for a night or two, but a week was too long.

Room Tip: Avoid staying on the front of the hotel. Lots of street noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank 323allisonm
Hello Allisonm,

Thank you for choosing Mondrian LA for your trip. We do value your feed back and the bathroom issue will be addressed. Please feel free to reach out to me for future stays.

Luis S
luis.saldana@mhgc.com
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Mondrian has been our favorite LA hotel for many years. Great location, excellent service and friendly staff. Love the new restaurant Herringbone and the new pool deck lounge area! Rooms are clean and suites are really nice, although they are starting to show a bit of wear over the years. The double windows do an excellent job of limiting the music from the pool and Skybar in the room. The hotel has a very cool vibe and is great for business trips and party time. Great place to invite clients and friends to hang out. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: All the suites are great!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hello Arte,

Thank you for your positive and gracious feedback, its it great to hear that you enjoyed yourself here with us. We do have a great program to keep our rooms up to date. Please feel free to reach out to me directly on your next visit.

Luis.saldana@mhgc.com