I decided to stay at the Mondrian in West Hollywood to catch up with friends over the weekend. I had first wanted to stay at the Andaz, but given that the two hotels are so close I was pleased to have chosen the Mondrian.
The room experience is very nice. Clean design and nice use of high end furnishings with soft comfort. The treatment of the TV inside the mount swiveling between the bed and sitting area was thoughtful as was the contents of the minibar, once again demonstrating that a little thought and originality can go a long way.
I dined in the restaurant on the Sunday morning, which has a lovely view over the city of Los Angeles, although the table that I was at in the corner was a little warm as the air conditioning could not penetrate due to a supporting pillar. Otherwise, nice food and friendly staff, although the attentiveness of the service tailed off later in the meal, causing me to have to get someone's attention.
On the Saturday night the hotel creates quite the scene on the pool deck and surrounding areas with the who's who and beautiful people out for a good night. Very Las Vegas in a Californian way. Happening would be the word. I could have made better of the experience if was in better condition. Suffice to say, it had been a long afternoon.
The bed was very comfortable and I was able to sleep late, although as the morning rolls on you do get some road noise if facing Sunset Boulevard.
I didn't experience it, but the property has a Sunday session around the pool. Once again, very Las Vegas, with a bit more sophistication and on a smaller scale.
The property is well situated to enjoy being in Hollywood and I was able to walk a comfortable distance to most places that I wanted to visit. A short Taxi Ride down to Melrose or the main shopping areas.
Overall, the staff were cheery and pleasant, where I have found in hotels/places like this sometimes can be a little stuffy or pretentious. Not here. Wholeheartedly recommend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mondrian LA is a parallel universe of perpetual possibility. Rejuvenated by Benjamin Noriega-Ortiz, this luxury boutique hotel in the heart of West Hollywood captures everything the Strip stands for - excitement, invincibility and glamour. Entering Mondrian through its signature, thirty-foot mahogany doors, guests will find the recently expanded lobby, accented with hues of deep purple and complemented by custom-designed furniture, a Lucite indoor swing and a mushroom-inspired concierge desk. Complimentary high speed wireless internet access is offered in the lobby. Ivory On Sunset, a restaurant which is a collaboration with John Terzian of The h.wood Group, Built Inc. and Hakkasan Group, celebrates California cuisine and comfort foods to encourage diners to embrace the restaurant's communal philosophy, while our Lobby Bar serves a full cafe menu in the morning and small plates in the evening. Up in the sky, amid the clouds of Los Angeles, guests can enjoy the stunning view from our Skybar lounge, Los Angeles' mainstay for nightlife. Exxhibit Boutique, our gift shop, offers curated items tailored for the LA scene. Mondrian is located right on the Sunset Strip, close to Fox Studios, Paramount Pictures, Staples Center, Dodgers Stadium, Hollywood Hills, Santa Monica, Rodeo Drive and Getty Museum. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel West Hollywood
- Mondrian Hotel West Hollywood