“Its a must for your first time in LA or for anytime!”
Review of Chateau Marmont

Chateau Marmont
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed 8 September 2013

The facilities are old but the history is great.
This is a great place if you are looking for a good time, the reclusiveness makes its private like no one is looking and you can get away with it.
The drinks and food can be pricey but very good.
One of the best Moscow Mule in town.
If you're in LA for just a few nights its worth it.
Rooms are small and mattresses are old.
Loved the Kiehl's bathroom products.
The staff were all very attentive and efficient, even if you are not from LA or a celebrity.

Would go back again and again for 1 or 2 nights, even on a lay over or short stay in LA.
There are more luxurious hotels with better locations, but this is a classic, even if its just for once in your lifetime!
Its walkable or cab short distance from many great clubs, Mel's diner, good restaurants and Sunset Plaza.
Enjoy! Yolo!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Globetrotter_411
There are newer reviews for Chateau Marmont

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I've stayed here a couple of times now and dined a few times more. Knowing many of the wild goings-on here for years, I had to see for myself what this place was like.
It felt like I was staying at a hacienda, even read it described as similar to a bordello. The patina was very appealing to me: from the tiles to the wood. If you're looking for a 5 star hotel (they're a dime a dozen in this town), you'd be disappointed. I came for the history and its character, so I wasn't. It was, after all, built in 1929 and even served as a bomb shelter at one point. It was where F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote the Last Tycoon and where Howard Hughes lived at the penthouse for three years. The walls had so many stories to tell.
The first time we dined at the private restaurant inside and sat beside John Malkovich, 3 of the Spice Girls (this was many years ago) and some other European actor whose name I can't recall just now. I found it very cozy and full of character. Brunch in the patio was really nice but it was open then, now the outdoor restaurant has been covered up and I do like the bedouin-tent look about it. I enjoyed all their food.
The last time we stayed at the main part of the hotel, not in the bungalows, our room was retro and the bathrooms can use some updating and still keep its flavor. Next time I'll probably stay in one of the bungalows and, if I'm feeling flush with funds, even at the penthouse.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Flaneuretta
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Very good team, Had a lot of fun.
Ask for the bloody Mary at the bar, and candace makes the best.
At the restaurant Younes took great care of us.
They took care of booking a table for us at Animal and were very well taking care of.
Thank you.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

I slept one night in the hotel but i Can say that never in my life happen that in the lobby don t want to book something for u .i Just want to book a shuttle for the airport and they denied. I Did it by myself. The bathroom Was very old and they didn t put any kit for shower etc. Nice pool and the Lunch Was nice .

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 30 August 2013

The grounds are lush. The pool area is serene.However, the pool cleaner should be fired because the pool tiles are filthy!!! Filthy tiles are a theme for the hotel! Our bathroom tiles were cracked with big chunks missing! Before taking a shower I put down a towel to stand on because it looked like a skid row shower! (Room 15) I guess I expected clean for the price of the room! We did love the food on the patio and had two great nights at Bar Marmont! (Black Veil Brides, thank you for the drinks and guitar pic!! ) The staff was professional and nice. I liked getting The New York Times in the morning. We would go back!!! I guess that's why the hotel doesn't need to fix what's broken!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Denise S
Reviewed 24 August 2013

had a lovely three night stay in a garden cottage right by the pool. the cottage had a shabby vintage feel, which we all loved, massive fridge and cooker, spent most of the days poolside lounging, even when busy it felt calm, nice trees for shade, and the pool side bar staff were attentive. dinner one night in the restaurant garden was really delicious, waiters knew the food and explained things patiently and politely, and the atmosphere was lively. very much a cool people place, but we like that vibe.

negatives - by no means ruined our stay - wasn't allowed into main bar one night by bouncer, showed my room key and he said private party, i checked and there was no private party.
had to pay to watch tv - come on guys, hotel TV shld be free! as i say, nothing to ruin our stay,will definitely be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank tom b
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Stayed for two nights as it was a place we'd heard so much about... did not disappoint. Such a cool building, with so many cheeky nooks & crannies (I can see how celebrities get up to mischief here!). The bar / restaurant was awesome, great atmosphere and surprisingly reasonably priced. All the waiters look like they should have their own agents, and probably do. Prices also include an 18% gratuity which was fantastic as it saved having to calculate the tip every time. The service is well worth it. Even if you're not dining in house, they're very happy to organise a table or recommend somewhere close by. It's walking distance to some fun places on the strip too.

The room itself DID show signs of wear (bathroom in particular)...if you're expecting high gloss brand-new finishes this isn't the place for you...but the character & charm more than make up for it. We had a room overlooking the restaurant courtyard, and the window opened right up...lots of light and a great feel. The bed was out of this world comfortable, and we slept like logs. The pool is really nice & secluded - don't be surprised if you overhear a million director-type conversations!! In general, it's just a cool, colourful place. Could live there in a heartbeat! But we'll settle for another two nights next month :)

Room Tip: If you don't like to go to sleep to the sound of a party (which we do) perhaps ask for a room th...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
#5 of 19 in West Hollywood
Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
#12 of 19 in West Hollywood

Been to Chateau Marmont? Share your experiences!