“miserable” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chateau Marmont

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Chateau Marmont
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in West Hollywood
Charlotte, NC
“miserable”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2006

Called to book a room. Exchanged voicemails with the reservation manager who had called me back quickly. Good start. But after calling back repeatedly, couldnt get a call back to book. Told by front desk that only this one person could take reservation. The next week (4 days later), still unable to get someone on phone to take reservation, I finally emailed them. No response after 24 hours, so called back. Front desk told me that the person I was trying to call had left on vacation and wouldnt be back for a week. She finally agreed to give me reservation. A cottage. The next day, email from someone else at reservation desk (48 hours after my email) saying what rooms were available. No cottages. So I call front desk and they pull up reservation and confirm I have it. I email reservation desk and ask for confirmation in writing. She sends; confirms date/rate/type of room. Day before I get there they call to confirm. Good sign. Show up. They check me in and say X will take me to room. He leads me to elevator. Wait, I had booked a cottage. Back to desk. "We dont have that available, sorry." After a bit of discussion, the person travelling with me asks "What are the options." Reply, "Well, you can stay in another hotel." It was 5pm; we were exhausted from traveling; we had no choice but to take the room they offered even though thats not what we booked and would have stayed elsewhere if this was option. As we had heard and as others have reported here, the rooms look and smell like an old rental apartment that had been smoked in and partied in and God knows what else for 75 years, and without renovation for 15 years, which is exactly what it is. No amount of cool magazines and kiehl products can hide that. With all windows open, got by, but it wasnt anywhere worth what we had to pay. Never saw a staff person over 30 in the hotel and all were obnoxious as heck. Need parental supervision. Bottom line to me seems to be that if you've stayed there a lot or you're connected to the industry they'll treat you well. Otherwise, only stay there if you are willing to take the abuse and whatever they throw down at you; just to check it out, its interesting to see it. If you go, know that they will give you a reservation for the restaurant but wont let you out in the garden area where they put the celebs and insiders unless they just happen to have table available at last minute. Very tough girl working restaurant check-in who does amazing crabwalk to stay just in front of you and block you off. Because of complaining about room, they put us out there and celebs were running around; and really was a beautful setting; but again, dont count on getting out there; unless there just happens to be open table, you aint going; even if hotel guest. Also, the gate to pool and bungalows and cottages is to the right of the front drive; even if stay in hotel part, you have a key to let you in there; be sure to go over there; a totally different world; great landscaping, bungalows are great; cottages are tiny but cool looking (at least outside; couldnt get in; see above); the pool and all are right on Sunset but behind a mass of plantings; giant billboard overhead; again, interesting to see. I've stayed at the owner's hotels in Miami, The Raleigh and The Standard and had totally different experiences. We went down to Beverly HIlls Hotel to bungalow the next weekend (they kept the reservation!) and they treated us wonderfully even though emmy weekend and were booked; everyone staying there is treated with respect and courtesy; now THATS an excellent hotel. Rumored that owner of Marmont has this place on the market; so no improvements coming unless he sells; lets hope he does; it is an amazing, historic hotel and deserves better. [One correction; the waiter in the restaurant was very pleasant.]

• Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
21 Thank chartab

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2006

We stayed there for three nights as part of our honeymoon and it was a great way to start it off. After getting lost on the way from the airport we arrived hours later and feeling very tired and fed up, we were instantly warmly welcomed and when we got to our room found fresh flowers and a note from the manager to congratulate us. Our booking was paid for as a wedding gift so I amnt sure of the room costs(very costly I imagine) but we were in a huge suite with living/dining area, charming bathroom and very comfy bed. It had a shabby chic appeal We enjoyed drinks in the bar, very dimly lit and atmospheric, loads of interesting characters around and a couple of famous faces. Had a lovely meal out in the garden and really enjoyed our time there. The pool area was secluded and quiet and overall we couldnt really fault it. Felt the entrance to the garage was a bit tight and busy, perhaps felt certain staff are happier when dealing with "more important people" but it was nice to experience the Chateau and know you are somewhere with so much history and character.

10 Thank lpag
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2006

If you want to feel like an insider, stay at the Chateau. We had great service and the most comfortable bed of any hotel I’ve slept in. The suites are big and restored to resemble the classic style when the hotel was built. The pool area is relaxing with a pool bar & food service. The lounge is fun and a good place for people watching. This hotel lives up to its reputation as a Hollywood icon.

11 Thank GoldStandard1
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2006

We stayed at the Chateau on the final weekend of our honeymoon and had a great time. We saw tons of celebrities, had excellent drinks outside the main house and enjoyed the quiet retreat of our cottage by the pool. Fantastic.

8 Thank skivvyniner
Las Vegas, NV
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2005

For what you pay, this is the worst hotel we've stayed in ever. Upon arrival, we were told our room was not ready yet, that they had had trouble getting the prior guest to leave, and they didn't have any other accommodations to put us in as we waited. The didn't offer us ANYTHING, just said we could sit in the entry way while we waited. Which we were forced to do, with our luggage for well over an hour...offered nothing.

The staff at the hotel clearly separated the guests between those that were in the 'in crowd' and those that weren't. I felt we were put into the latter group. When we called to have them put our bags in our car the next morning, no one showed up for over 30 minutes...terrible service, just terrible.

This has to be the most over hyped hotel in the world, I would never stay there again. If you have to see it, just park on the street, walk around the grounds, take a few pictures, and tell people you stayed there. It'll save you over 400.00 / night, and a lot of headache. It was as if we paid to be treated badly!

• Stayed November 2005
54 Thank Molly35432
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2005

I stayed at the Chateau Marmont a few weeks ago, and I couldn't have been more pleased. I don't usually post reviews, but after reading some of the reviews here, I wanted to get in my two cents. Everything was perfect - we had no problems at all. The staff was very nice and all service was prompt. Nothing smelled bad and the paper was delivered every day. We had a premier suite, and it was very spacious. The view was breathtaking, and I found it very quiet. The bar was closed, so I didn't get to see that.

As much as I loved it, it may not be for everyone. It was built in 1927, so you're not going to find any jacuzzis. It is expensive, but you know that going in. You won't be able to find any place with more old Hollywood history and charm. I obviously recommend it, and I'd stay there again - if I can afford it!

• Stayed October 2005
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2005

I stayed at the Chateau Marmont for 3 nights during my 3 week trip to the States. At the time of booking, I requested a quiet room, only to find when I checked in that I had been allocated a cottage right next to the road. I complained about this, and was given a "penthouse one bedroom" room on the second floor for one night, as a quiet cottage was unavailable. The penthouse room was spacious, however, the bathroom was tiny and pretty awful. I was shocked to discover this "penthouse room" is normally $1500 per night, which seemed extremely poor value for money.

For the following 2 nights I stayed in a cottage. It was pretty dark and claustrophobic. The bathroom was so small the bathroom door could only be opened half way as it knocked against the toilet. While I can appreciate that there is a certain charm in keeping the old 1930's decor, some of the fittings were truly dreadful. I am at a loss to understand why celebrities come here. Are they given rooms for free?

The nightclub was closed for renovation during my stay. From the outside, it looked like it should have been demolished years ago. I suspect I would not have gotten any sleep at all had it been open, given my cottage's proximity to the nightclub.

While service and food in the restaurant was very good for breakfast, I couldn't get into the restaurant for dinner on any evening I was there. I therefore had room service, and it was cold when it arrived. I also didn't get the newspaper I requested for any of the mornings I was there.

The fact that the hotel is in West Hollywood is another negative - it's a truly dreadful area.

The hotel however does have a quiet charm and it is like stepping back in time. While I wouldn't stay there again, it was a unique experience.

• Stayed October 2005
The Hollywood Roosevelt
The Hollywood Roosevelt
#16 of 348 in Los Angeles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,684 reviews

Been to Chateau Marmont? Share your experiences!