“Nice budget accommodation”

and 1 more site!
Banana Bungalow West Hollywood
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights in a private room. Hostel is very clean and staff friendly.breakfast is basic (porridge and toast) but considering it's included in accommodation price we were happy with it. The hostel is nice and secure and we found the location fantastic. It is easy to explore west hollywood by foot from here or catch the bus. There is a whole foods grocery store nearby as well as the 24hr Canters diner. Would recommend if looking for budget accommodation near hollywood.

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed in a 16 share dorm room. The bed was very uncomfortable. On my second night I couldn’t sleep, so I went to the basement in the hope of getting some rest. When I got there, the air was filled with marijuana smoke which was very annoying.

Another annoyance was the small number of bathrooms. Each morning there was always a line, and everyone was very annoyed with this.

The hostel is located near Santa Monica Blvd, making it convenient for exploring West Hollywood. The hostel has free wi-fi, and the staff were friendly and welcoming during my stay.

Unfortunately I wouldn't stay here again though.

Room Tip: Choose a smaller room, not the 16 share dorm!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

+enough space in the room
+sharing with 6 people in Total but got our own restroom and kitchen
+Nice people working here
- Wifi is most of the time not working well
- not a really good location.
- the bed is shaking with every little move you make.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 4 July 2014

this was the first hostel my friend and i stayed in when we embarked on our around the world trip. the location was fantastic, right next to Melrose Av and walking distance from Hollywood Walk of Fame (lovely walk). we paid for a twin room which was equipped with air con, a balcony with a table and 2 chairs, a tv and a fridge which came in very handy. there is a whole foods supermarket just down the road. service was excellent,there were new activities to do every day which included a free beer and taco night, as well as getting you free entry to all the exclusive clubs of LA. you can sign up for activities such as universal and disney parks, beverly hills and LA celebrity home tour which includes Santa Monica pier, Bel Air & other famous sites. the hostel was clean, safe, free tea and coffee all day, free breakfast, kitchen and vending machine. We had an excellent time and would definitely stay again. Very friendly and i would highly recommend this whether travelling alone or in a group.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank megs_bowers
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This place was recommended to me by my travel agent and I am so happy I took his advice!
I stayed 3 nights in late May/early June.
The hostel is in a good location and is within walking distance to bus services, grocery stores, The Grove, Beverly Centre and various eateries and small stores. I stayed in a private room which was a great size and had my own contained bathroom and storage space.
The room was nothing fancy but was definitely clean, had a tv, microwave, fridge towels and hangers/space for storing clothing.
Downstairs the staff are friendly, helpful and keen to get everyone involved in the nightly activities which include comedy nights, barbecues and various nightlife tours.
I'd absolutely recommend this place to those travelling on a budget and anyone who's young and out to have a bit of fun.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Allykitty
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed four nights at the Banana Bungalow while travelling and were quite happy. The staff and other travellers were all friendly and the location is convenient for sightseeing. The free parking is limited but useful and while the breakfast is undeniably basic it was very welcome!

The (dorm) rooms are by no means palace-like but the ensuite bathroom was handy and was cleaned daily. Bedding and towels are provided and there are lockers available in the rooms. It was really noisy throughout our stay as our room looked out onto the always busy bar but this is expected in any hostel and was part of the friendly atmosphere.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JSW390
Reviewed 9 June 2014

If I had known when I was making the booking that this is the same place that used to be known as Orbit Hotel, I would not have made the booking. This stay was just as bad as the first one. The staff on check-in were very rude and then later in the evening when I came back the two staff on ignored me at the front door (which they have to unlock!) for at least 5 minutes. The only nice one I spoke to was Caitlin prior to making a booking via telephone. The rooms are very small. The bathrooms are incredibly basic. There is no sound proofing between the rooms. I ended up sleeping with a movie playing to block out the noise of the rooms either side (a couple having fun on one side & some guys speaking incredibly loud on the other). The location is a fair walk from Hollywood Blvd - however it is a 15-20 minute walk to the Farmer's Market. There is no convenience store close by but some $$ restaurants a couple of blocks away.

Based on the staff's attitudes, the location & the $$ - I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
#7 of 19 in West Hollywood
Le Montrose Suite Hotel
Le Montrose Suite Hotel
#14 of 19 in West Hollywood

Been to Banana Bungalow West Hollywood? Share your experiences!