“Not a huge fan” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Banana Bungalow West Hollywood

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Banana Bungalow West Hollywood
Melbourne, Australia
“Not a huge fan”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I've stayed at many hostels all around the world, and I can say that this was one of the worst hostel experiences for me (and my friend).

When you stay at a hostel, lets face it, you don't pay for nice beach views and personalised name tages...you pay for somewhere to sleep with a clean bathroom. I surely didn't get this this time around!

When we arrived, the building and our room had an unwelcoming smell. Not sure if we we're just the unluckiest people who got the worst room?! But after our long flight and touring for half the day, I couldn't wait to have a shower. My friend had a shower first (lucky duck) which clogged up (as the shower was in the bath) and wouldn't filter down which meant I couldn't have a shower and refused to for the duration of our stay (ewwww). After crossing our fingers in the hope that the water would drain, we we're left with a bath filled with 'floaty bits' which I didn't even want to know what they were.

There was a sign in the bathroom that said if the toilet clogs up, to not flush and just use the plunger that was provided (not sure if it has ever been cleaned). It made me question our bed and the sheets! Everyone looks for different things when booking accommodation and I'm not at all the pretentious sort. We just came off a camping trip and as I quoted to my friend "I preferred sleeping in a wet tent on a log than here"

On the flip side, the location was quite reasonable and the staff weren't too bad, but I wouldn't stay here again! We stayed for two nights in total. Our Wifi didn't work in the bedroom, but in the common area it did - not a huge deal on the wifi.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Cute hostel, good location. In LA it's always better if you have a car! Only complaint is that the wifi didn't work in the room!!! :( you had to go down to the common area to use it. They had three computers that you could use which was nice and a little garden. They also had a couple of free BBQ nights which is great for who is travelling on a budget

• Stayed August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights in a private room. Hostel is very clean and staff friendly.breakfast is basic (porridge and toast) but considering it's included in accommodation price we were happy with it. The hostel is nice and secure and we found the location fantastic. It is easy to explore west hollywood by foot from here or catch the bus. There is a whole foods grocery store nearby as well as the 24hr Canters diner. Would recommend if looking for budget accommodation near hollywood.

• Stayed July 2014
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed in a 16 share dorm room. The bed was very uncomfortable. On my second night I couldn’t sleep, so I went to the basement in the hope of getting some rest. When I got there, the air was filled with marijuana smoke which was very annoying.

Another annoyance was the small number of bathrooms. Each morning there was always a line, and everyone was very annoyed with this.

The hostel is located near Santa Monica Blvd, making it convenient for exploring West Hollywood. The hostel has free wi-fi, and the staff were friendly and welcoming during my stay.

Unfortunately I wouldn't stay here again though.

Room Tip: Choose a smaller room, not the 16 share dorm!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Paradera, null, Aruba
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

+enough space in the room
+sharing with 6 people in Total but got our own restroom and kitchen
+Nice people working here
- Wifi is most of the time not working well
- not a really good location.
- the bed is shaking with every little move you make.

Stayed July 2014
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

this was the first hostel my friend and i stayed in when we embarked on our around the world trip. the location was fantastic, right next to Melrose Av and walking distance from Hollywood Walk of Fame (lovely walk). we paid for a twin room which was equipped with air con, a balcony with a table and 2 chairs, a tv and a fridge which came in very handy. there is a whole foods supermarket just down the road. service was excellent,there were new activities to do every day which included a free beer and taco night, as well as getting you free entry to all the exclusive clubs of LA. you can sign up for activities such as universal and disney parks, beverly hills and LA celebrity home tour which includes Santa Monica pier, Bel Air & other famous sites. the hostel was clean, safe, free tea and coffee all day, free breakfast, kitchen and vending machine. We had an excellent time and would definitely stay again. Very friendly and i would highly recommend this whether travelling alone or in a group.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank megs_bowers
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

This place was recommended to me by my travel agent and I am so happy I took his advice!
I stayed 3 nights in late May/early June.
The hostel is in a good location and is within walking distance to bus services, grocery stores, The Grove, Beverly Centre and various eateries and small stores. I stayed in a private room which was a great size and had my own contained bathroom and storage space.
The room was nothing fancy but was definitely clean, had a tv, microwave, fridge towels and hangers/space for storing clothing.
Downstairs the staff are friendly, helpful and keen to get everyone involved in the nightly activities which include comedy nights, barbecues and various nightlife tours.
I'd absolutely recommend this place to those travelling on a budget and anyone who's young and out to have a bit of fun.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Palihotel
Palihotel
#106 of 348 in Los Angeles
Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills

Been to Banana Bungalow West Hollywood? Share your experiences!