“Just short of making me sick” 2 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Fusion
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: West Hollywood
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Just short of making me sick”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

I have no idea why anyone thinks this is good sushi (no offense). I was here with three friends and we all thought it was subpar. There wasn't a single thing any of us enjoyed. The best thing about it was that the staff was nice and the place would have been fine if the food had been any good. I do not recommend this place at all. Every one of us felt very ill...just short of getting sick...about an hour after the meal. When they came out, all of the dishes looked like they were from a cheap restaurant. Problem being, it wasn't cheap. Not super expensive, either. But I would never again pay a dollar for what we were served.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Perth, Australia
“OMG the food is to die for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

I googled this place as it was walking distance to where we were staying. The food and service was amazing, if you are wanting to go on a Friday or Saturday night better to book as its busy.
Food is freshly prepared and try the soft shell crab!!! Our favourite but we couldn't find it anywhere else.
Great value for money, if you love Japanese then its a must GO TO place.

Visited May 2013
Los Angeles, California
“This is the place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

I'm a "Round-Eye" who lived in Tokyo for three years and ate weekly at my favorite Roppongi sushi restaurant, Fukusushi, which was once rated "Best Sushi in the World." I've lived the past 30 years in Los Angeles and am always on the hunt for an "even better" sushi place. Ajisai is my hands-down West Hollywood favorite. It's not Urasawa but neither is it $500 per person. Chef Shoei buys delicious fish daily from the downtown market. There's not a huge selection, but what he's got is great. It's intimate, has a friendly and attentive staff, and won't break the bank. Once you become a regular, Shoei might even purchase special treats for you at the fish market. Conveniently, it's open on Mondays when many sushi places are closed.

Nobody's perfect, but Ajisai is perfect enough for me. I saw one very negative comment on Yelp, but in thinking about it, I'm sure the reviewer was thinking of a place a block down the street.

Try Shoei's "aji" (Spanish Mackerel); it doesn't get any better. For sushi wimps, they also have tasty cooked dishes.

Hey, if you don't like it, I'll eat it!

• Visited November 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Terrible Sushi”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2010

We had spicy tuna roll and spicy scallops. They were not spicy. We asked for some hot chili sauce that made it better but it didn't make the meal as good as it should have been. The sushi had a strange bitter taste to it. Back home we have sushi about every second week and it tastes great every time. I will remember not to go back to this restaurant. We paid and left in the middle of the meal and went to another restaurant.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Palm Springs, California
“Perfect boutique sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2010

The menu is somewhat variable because the owner generally serves only what he bought fresh that morning.

Stick with nigiri or sashimi; the rolls are good, but not as good. The unagi and Ponzu sauces are excellent. Toro is rarely to be had.

1 Thank Xorax