“ii desu ne!”

Neighbourhood: West Hollywood
Salt Lake City, Utah
“ii desu ne!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

That's good! It all starts with Shoei. This is a man who starts his day personally selecting the fish he will be serving to his guests. His passion for the craft has no equal in the area and Los Angeles is so very fortunate to have someone of his skill and precision. I love the intimacy of this sushi bar where total strangers become fast friends. It also is rare because it has such a fluid mix of straight and gay patrons in a city where there is usually a large divide - and here everyone is the same family. I love how honest it all is. And even when I moved away from Los Angeles and returned for a business trip THREE YEARS LATER, Shoei remembered exactly what I order and how I like it prepared. That isn't just excellent. It is other-worldly. They will always have my business. Oh, and if you like maguro, they cut the nigiri thicker than anywhere I've visited - and that is a NICE thing for me. Domo arigato gozaimashita Shoei-san.

• Visited May 2014

New York city
“Solid Sushi”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

The sushi here is good. Not great, but solid. I've eaten here a couple of time - this time intended as my 2nd chance for it. Small low-key offbeat environment. Very nice chef and waiters. Not expensive, but not terribly remarkable food.

Visited December 2013
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Just short of making me sick”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

I have no idea why anyone thinks this is good sushi (no offense). I was here with three friends and we all thought it was subpar. There wasn't a single thing any of us enjoyed. The best thing about it was that the staff was nice and the place would have been fine if the food had been any good. I do not recommend this place at all. Every one of us felt very ill...just short of getting sick...about an hour after the meal. When they came out, all of the dishes looked like they were from a cheap restaurant. Problem being, it wasn't cheap. Not super expensive, either. But I would never again pay a dollar for what we were served.

• Visited July 2013
Perth, Australia
“OMG the food is to die for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

I googled this place as it was walking distance to where we were staying. The food and service was amazing, if you are wanting to go on a Friday or Saturday night better to book as its busy.
Food is freshly prepared and try the soft shell crab!!! Our favourite but we couldn't find it anywhere else.
Great value for money, if you love Japanese then its a must GO TO place.

Visited May 2013
Los Angeles, California
“This is the place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

I'm a "Round-Eye" who lived in Tokyo for three years and ate weekly at my favorite Roppongi sushi restaurant, Fukusushi, which was once rated "Best Sushi in the World." I've lived the past 30 years in Los Angeles and am always on the hunt for an "even better" sushi place. Ajisai is my hands-down West Hollywood favorite. It's not Urasawa but neither is it $500 per person. Chef Shoei buys delicious fish daily from the downtown market. There's not a huge selection, but what he's got is great. It's intimate, has a friendly and attentive staff, and won't break the bank. Once you become a regular, Shoei might even purchase special treats for you at the fish market. Conveniently, it's open on Mondays when many sushi places are closed.

Nobody's perfect, but Ajisai is perfect enough for me. I saw one very negative comment on Yelp, but in thinking about it, I'm sure the reviewer was thinking of a place a block down the street.

Try Shoei's "aji" (Spanish Mackerel); it doesn't get any better. For sushi wimps, they also have tasty cooked dishes.

Hey, if you don't like it, I'll eat it!

• Visited November 2012