After reading excellent reviews since booking this hotel last Sept I was really looking forward to our 6 night stay but was sadly disappointed with the hotel.
On a positive note - the rooms are very clean, nicely furnished and very comfortable beds. Now for the negatives:
I sent several emails in April which were not responded to, when I met the staff I realised why - they are the most unfriendly people I have encountered in the American hotel industry and most of the time they hid away in the office behind reception. The male staff member who checked us in (on Sun 25th May) was the most miserable person I have encountered and when we had problems with the vending machines he wasn't interested at all.
In fact the vending machines didn't work at all during our stay.
Breakfast - this is not complimentary we do pay for it in our room rate (even though the hotel likes to say it is) nothing is ever free!! the actual breakfast was fine and always fresh but the awful plastic plates/cutlery and paper cups (which the hotel said some 9 months ago in a previous review were a temporary measure) - are still in existence and make the dining experience somewhat tacky.
Noise - the walls are paper thin and we could hear nearby TV's and air con units droning all night - then we had to contend with 6am pool parties and couples arguing during the night, I know we are in a hotel and expect noise but felt that this was excessive - we had just spent 4 nghts in Vegas and San Francisco and this was the first hotel we had any noise in.
Nobody seems to mention the tramps/hobos/panhandlers (dont know the correct term for them ) either - despite the hotel being 3 blocks from Sunset Plaza and next to the salubrious Sunset Towers the area just outside is plagued with these people there is one resident on the bench opposite the hotel and several wandering up and down outside trying to collect money off you - my son was quite scared of one who seems to spend most of the day crossing the lights outside the hotel as he was quite aggressive. In San Francisco - supposedly the worst place in America for this yet durin our 4 days there we only actually encoutered one person who could be described in this manner.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A beautiful Mediterranean inspired hotel centrally located between Hollywood and Beverly Hills. Just minutes from famous beaches, Universal Studios and Walk of Fame. Daily sightseeing tours are available from the hotel lobby. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Southall Travel, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Best Western Plus Sunset Plaza Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western West Hollywood
- West Hollywood Best Western
- Best Western Sunset Plaza Hotel