“Big Let Down”

Andaz West Hollywood
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed here for four nights last week, mainly on strength of reviews here. I was especially looking forward to cool rooftop. I arrived Saturday night from a UK flight only to find one of my pet hates, the roof top closed for a private function! I went up there Sunday afternoon but there was zero service, despite about 6 guests looking for a drink.
I ended up walking across to the Sky Bar at the Mondrian. Same thing Monday when I had guests joining me for drinks after work. Breakfast is ok, $26 for eggs at the breakfast table was too expensive though. Breakfast staff were way friendlier than the bar staff, the latter weren't unfriendly but just not really bothered.
The rooms are big but bare. You can't open the windows, which weren't very clean.
Gym was nice and spacious with decent equipment and plenty of towels/water etc.
I know the Mondrian is a little OTT for some tastes but it's got way better and more friendly service.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank LANYUKTraveller
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

I am terribly sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you encountered. At Andaz, we are committed to serve every guest beyond expectations and to know that we did not satisfy you at all is a big disappointment. Please know that the matters you raised have been addressed and we are taking the necessary steps to ensure that they do not reoccur in the future. Hopefully one day we can welcome you back to create an experience more consistent with the Andaz true hospitality.
Lin

Write a ReviewReviews (3,039)

Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Not quite sure what all the hype is about. Yes the lobby is funky. The staff are mostly hip. The pool has a great view. But that's it for me. The room to me was like staying in a Holiday Inn. The breakfast in the morning was basic at best and $200 for four of us. You often have to wait forever to get in a crowded lift. The pool deck has no service at all if you are wanting to sip a cocktail by the pool. So yeah this hotel has good aspects but it certainly is nothing special for mine given the price.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. While I am delighted that you found our rooftop pool and unique amenities appealing, I am terribly sorry that you did not thoroughly enjoy your visit. Please do let us know if we may ever be of any assistance in the future. On behalf of all of us here at the hotel, I truly hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

After searching hotels in the area this one won me over, due to its style and rock n roll cred. Was not disappointed. Booked a standard room which was simple and more than comfortable. Looking over the Hollywood hills was a bit surreal but amazing. Enjoyed the bar and restaurant immensely. The chef was lovely and stopped to chat with us, he even sent over a comped dessert. The Andaz somehow manages to deliver what you'd expect of Los Angeles quality while not being too flashy or OTT. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pearlchampagne
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Thank you for selecting Andaz West Hollywood for your most recent trip to Los Angeles. I want to especially thank you for your lovely comments about your stay at our hotel! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your accommodation, the RH restaurant and the service provided to you by our wonderful team! We hope to see you back soon and look forward to providing another amazing experience for you.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

This hotel was great for a weekend getaway. The atmosphere was refined, the pool and rooftop patio outstanding and the breakfast buffet in the RH restaurant was awesome (although not free unless a Hyatt Diamond member). The Staff was courteous and by the time we left, three days later we were almost starting to feel like regulars because of the great treatment!

Room Tip: Corner suites are nice and roomy. Balconies on higher floors offer great city views
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

I am so happy to hear that you truly enjoyed your recent stay at Andaz West Hollywood. I appreciate you taking the time to share how much you enjoyed the service provided to you by our wonderful team, along with our hotel’s amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Los Angeles!

Reviewed 4 November 2013

The Andaz West Hollywood was an absolute joy to stay in for an extended weekend in LA. I stayed in a 2 queen room facing the Hollywood Hills, which was preferred over the noisier Sunset facing rooms.

The rooms were minimal and cool, although a couple more decorative items would have worked to add some character. The amenities of complimentary water, soft drinks, and snacks was a real nice perk, as was the morning coffee until 11 and evening wine from 5-7.

The location was absolutely perfect and made it exceedingly easy to drive everywhere we needed to. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Thank you for providing us with feedback following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the unique qualities of our hotel. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back upon your next visit to LA!

Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Beautiful and spotlessly clean hotel. Amazing views of Hollywood Hills and right in the centre of all the fun and glamour. Service was exceptional and the rooftop pool was awesome. Wish I could live here!

• Stayed: October 2013

I am delighted to hear that you really enjoyed your time with us here at Andaz West Hollywood! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future!

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We're mid-westerners and returned to this hotel last May 2013 after some 10-years absence. I favored this facility years ago during my business and pleasure trips here in LA due to its quick access/egress location. Indeed, much had been improved to my great satisfaction. Lobby is simple but "perfect". No-over embellishment. Our room is just superb! The self-service free breakfast counter beats any "fast-food" joint in the area. Their rapid, portable, key-pad equipped one-on-one check-in/out lobby clerk is one good model for any efficiency-oriented hotel establishment to copy. Even their parking valets were quick to serve us. Our stay here really maximized our time in re-visiting the places to see and experience in Hollywood. We'll be back here any time!

Room Tip: Upper floors allow view of much of of LA city area. Very quiet!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

I am so pleased that you chose Andaz West Hollywood for your return visit to L.A.! I truly appreciate you taking the time to complement our hotel on the many aspects that you enjoyed. We are looking forward to seeing you again, hopefully in the not too distant future.