“Great property, but don't check in late” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Andaz West Hollywood

Andaz West Hollywood
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in West Hollywood
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great property, but don't check in late”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

This is my second stay at the property; like last time (which my review is for on here) I checked-into a King with a city view, and got a "sorry all we have is a...." last time it was a cigar smoke scented room, this time it was one that barely had a view over a brightly flashing billboard across the street that lit the room with lots of color (very noir, though, would have been great for writing a detective novel). They offered to move me the second night, but when you only have a three-night stay, it isn't worth the trouble. I have wondered if it was because I booked through a pre-paid third party travel intermediate, but it was via Amex and my Platinum card, not a discount site. May be it's just the luck of the draw. I really like the property and roof top pool. What brought me back was the hotel was very responsive to my last review, which was unfavorable--and as I just said it is a great property with well designed rooms and excellent service. Will I stay here again? Regretfully not--I usually visit after business meetings and check in late, so don't want to risk getting a so-so room again in this very good property. Would I recommend it? Yes, highly, if you check in before the good rooms go. I really like this hotel, but regret it has not worked well for me. (Even my recent so-so room was good, but if I am paying what the others are on higher floors, it takes away from the sense I am getting a good value.)

Room Tip: Don't check in later in the day! 3rd floor not great--noisy and at least on the east end, has a...
Green Features: Seem very sensitive. It is a boutique hotel in LA, after all.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for providing us with feedback following your return visit to Andaz West Hollywood. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to once again share your wonderful comments about our team, the service you received and our hotel amenities. I am terribly sorry to hear of the inconveniences you experienced due to your room allocation which caused your stay to be less than perfect. I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly. If suitable, please email my assistant Lauren Farah at lauren.farah@andaz.com, at your earliest convenience, so that I may discuss your experience in further detail. I look forward to the opportunity to assist you.
Lin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (611)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

We have just stayed at the Andaz in West Hollywood.We were extremely tired after a long day of travelling that commenced at 4:00 with a 7 and 11 year.

We were impressed by the hotels warm welcome, assigning us a host who instantly brought our whole family complimentary drinks, yes, including alcoholic ones!

The position is perfect and the lobby very funky. We had some dinner and wanted to get a good nights sleep. This was harder than expected as the notice from the lift was annoying. In all honesty though it is not overly loud and only hear able from one room per floor.

When we brought this to the managers attention he graciously and instantly offered us a late check out which suited our time frame perfectly.

We also enjoyed a well priced and delicious breakfast with excellent service.

This hotel is a winner

Room Tip: Not backing onto the lift well.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us here at Andaz West Hollywood. Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments as I will ensure to share this with the entire Andaz team. We look forward to welcoming you and the family back upon your next visit to LA.
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

We had heard a lot of positives about this hotel before we arrived and weren't disappointed. Staff are extremely helpful and our room with double beds was large by American standards.
Positives are free soft drinks and snacks in the mini bar. Free coffee and tea is available in the lobby each morning but no facilities are available in the bedrooms.
The rooftop pool is cool however closed twice at 5.00pm for private functions during our stay which was frustrating.
During our stay the restaurant was only open until 2.00pm and although food is available at the bar this turned out to be more like a diner in the evening. There is no separate bar to chill out in which I'm sure the hotel would benefit from.
We were allocated room 701 in a fully booked hotel. If you are a light sleeper maybe you should avoid any room ending with 01 as they are allocated directly behind the elevators. It didn't affect our stay however be aware that there is residual noise from the elevator shafts that I can best describe as a distant roller coaster.
Location in West Hollywood is great and in close proximity to Sunset Plaza with a great selection of restaurants. Mel's Drive Inn is only 10 minutes walk away and is recommended for good food at reasonable prices.
For those of you who haven't visited Los Angeles be prepared for the enormity of the city, suggest renting a car to make the best of your stay !

Room Tip: Avoid any room ending with 01 as they are behind the elevators
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your experience following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. It is delightful to hear that you enjoyed various aspects of your visit. Prior to any upcoming stay, please do not hesitate to contact my assistant, Lauren Farah at lauren.farah@andaz.com, so that we do our best to try and accommodate a room away from the elevators. We look forward to welcoming you back to Los Angeles in the near future.
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

So excited to be going back to the Andaz...no where else I would rather stay. First time away with the hubby since adopting our son 8 years ago!!! I have stayed with my girlfriends in the past and we loved it! The staff is excellent, the food is excellent and the location is excellent! This SF girl is ready for some LA sun!

Room Tip: I stayed in a hill view room, it was great. Very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your previous stays at Andaz West Hollywood. We are delighted to welcome you back for your upcoming weekend visit.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed on the 9th floor – we had an amazing view of LA, big room, sadly no bath but that’s a small thing when you’re out a lot!Would definitely stay here again for convenience.

Roof top pool – we got some good weather so spent a couple of our days chilling by the pool – it’s not massive, but

Dinner ideas
Eveleigh – West Hollywood (on Sunset) – recommended by a friend, great venue, I wished we’d just stayed at the bar and had nibbles. The restaurant was lovely – but I didn’t think the food was that good (sorry – I had the chicken and that was it, the waitress and waiters were lovely but maybe could have said this was just protein with no vegetables)
We asked if it was far to walk back to our hotel – and we’re told we should grab a car, but to be honest we walked and it really wasn’t that far!

Tower – right across the road from the hotel practically – great service, great food…go! Its ranked number one on Trip advisor for a reason.

Drinks
Loads of choice – but must mention Chateau Montmartre, Bar Montmartre, very cool and had we not had dinner booked in the Tower we’d have stayed.

Breakfast
The Griddle café – Sunset (Very walkable from Best Western, The Standard, Andaz, Chateau Montmartre, The Grafton Hotel)
I visited a friend in LA a few years ago, and I would never have gone to this place had she not taken me there…it’s a popular place and you can see why, for that authentic US breakfast experience then highly recommend a wonder down to here (And yes walk it, again it’s good to walk off what you eat!)

Or
La Conversation – lovely lovely spot, we wanted a coffee and pastry for breakfast and this place was spot on. We changed our mind in terms of just coffee and pastry when we got there – some really lovely choices…go!

We walked back but took a cab there, seriously nice what feels like family run, local spot…I don’t want to give the secret away but it’s a lovely place and worth a visit.

Other
Hikes – there is a really sweet hike near Runyon Canyon – we also did a hike up near Malibu Los Leones.
Malibu – worth a drive up to Dukes or anywhere in Malibu – sweet place.

Overall - thinking of booking - book!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Katy W
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
I am so pleased that you chose to stay at Andaz West Hollywood and am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our central location as well as our rooftop pool. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We come often to Los Angeles on business, and we gravitate towards the Andaz every time. The location - on Sunset Blvd - is just ideal. The staff's incredibly attentive. Checking in is very smooth , and the complimentary wine is just icing on the cake. The corner suite is terrific with a stimulating view of the strip. The minibar is also free (non-alcoholic drinks plus snacks.) We will definitely return once again.

Room Tip: corner suite.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing Andaz West Hollywood when visiting Los Angeles. It is delightful to hear that you enjoy your stay so thoroughly. From the service of the staff to the atmosphere and the amenities, it sounds like you really appreciate the Andaz experience. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Los Angeles.
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

I stayed here many years ago when it was the Hyatt, and then again as the Andaz. The remodel was nice, but still feels like an Andaz imposter compared to other Andaz properties. The pool on the roof is a great amenity, but it was closed several times for private parties, so we were never actually available to use it. The hotel location is great, with quick access to Santa Monica Blvd, Beverly Hills, and Hollywood Blvd. We loved the complimentary in-room snacks and beverages, but did not eat at the hotel restaurant. The view of Sunset Blvd is great, but offset by flashing neon and loud traffic. So, nice hotel, great location, but probably not worth the cost.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your feedback following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. I am delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy the hotel’s complimentary amenities and our central location. We look forward to another opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.