“Fantastic Hotel in a Great Location”

Andaz West Hollywood
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in West Hollywood
Ohio
“Fantastic Hotel in a Great Location”
Reviewed 12 September 2009

We spent 2 nites at the Andaz and loved it. As indicated in previous reviews the check-in process is a little unorthodox but much appreciated after a very long day of traveling. Irina (she was great!) met us at the door and immediately took us to comfortable chairs in the lobby and brought us each a generous glass of wine. Since we had reserved our room on line and paid in advance, she simply confirmed our reservation with our credit card - a process that took less than 5 minutes and then we were on our way to our room. The room was trendy - mostly white/grey - but it was roomy and the king bed extremely comfortable. We had a hillside view of some awesome homes. The bathroom was somewhat small but had beautiful marble tile and the large size toiletries were very nice. All of the staff members throughout our stay went out of their way to be helpful. The complimentary water, juice, soft drinks and snacks in the room were a really nice touch and everything was refilled on our second day without a problem. The complimentary coffee/espresso/croissants in the morning, laptops with internet service in the lobby, and wine in the evening also help to stretch your dollar in an otherwise expensive city. The rooftop pool has a great view and all of the lounges are first come first serve - no charge. We walked on Sunset Blvd during the day and at night and never felt uncomfortable. We would highly recommend the hotel for the service, amenities, value and location.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kudo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (631)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 10 September 2009

Well its unlike any other Hyatt property I have ever stayed in before.....had a buddy who was in Century City and rather than stay at the Hyatt there I decided to stay in a new spot. It is located right next to Beverly Hills and in a big money spot (I think).

Please see my blog at http://talesfromtheroad-mwalno.blogspot.com/

Different experience when I arrived, no name on the building, and we had to ask the "guy" in front if we were in the right spot. The reason I say the "guy" is he was dressed like anyone else (no uniform or name tag), then the young lady who was at the door was dressed just like anyone else (again, no uniform, not professional, just in casual clothes). She walked me to a table where two other people were (dressed just like her) and went to a computer to check me in. It was WEIRD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then she took me to the elevator and escorted me to the room, where she asked if I needed ice, and let me know that all the beverages (except alcohol) and snacks were free. It was so strange........

I headed down to the gym. It was ok, a few weight machines, 3 tread mills, 2 ellipticals and small free weights. Not as good as many of the Hyatt gyms, however it was interesting to look over Sunset Blvd while working out (and seeing the line grown at the House of Blues).

I headed up to see the pool, and it was small with a bunch of very nice chairs and a small bar. Music was nice and the view is awesome. After a quick shower I headed to lobby to meet my buddy for dinner.

While waiting I remembered the girl who checked me in said wine was complimentary after 5 pm. Although there were 3 employees waiting for guests to arrive, no one offered me anything, and I felt awkward to ask for a glass.....but I did.

The location is great and very convenient. I did really enjoy the bed and it was quiet to sleep. I also appreciated the free beverages/snacks in the room.

Check-out the next day was well easy, but again I think is just plain weird (which probably means that it is really cool) that you cant tell who works there because its casual dress and no name tags. It was a pain to get my boarding pass printed, but I did like the croissants they had out for anyone to have.

Would I stay here again? Not a good business hotel - no club room, don't like not knowing who the staff is......for family travel - NO.....for me and Katie - maybe.

If you are young and hip you would probably get more enjoyment from the experience (I think).

Total - $223.55

Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Toronto
Reviewed 8 September 2009

Wow, i just got back from L.A and i stayed at Andaz West Hollywood for four nights.

I got such an amazing deal at $100/night and i could not be so pleased with everything we got.

Our large and clean queen room had great view of the hills, mini bar was fully stocked and totally free, (which was amazing), free wireless internet which was a huge deal breaker that won me over.

The staff was incredible! I was so taken back with the relaxed approach this hotel brings. No front desk. so the reception comes to you with a free glass of wine, and boy was i a happy camper! Laura was great! Very personable and gave us a quick rundown of the city.
As well as brought us up to our room, she pointed out the construction across the hall and assured us that it wouldn't interfere. And it didn't!

The valet was defiantly worth the extra $. We were in and out alot and it was defiantly so convenient.

The rooftop pool was incredible! Stunning views and a great place to lounge for the afternoon and have a few drinks or a bite.

I found the location to be perfect for us. In the middle of everything!

When im in L.A. again I will defiantly stay here again, even if it is at full fair. Totally worth it!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Margarita
Reviewed 5 September 2009

I absolutely loved this place! I had stayed here before the renovation and i must say i was surprised with the outcome. I don’t now how anyone can find this hotel “dirty” or “worn” when it has just be inaugurated. Ambience is great, mostly young people (under 40’s), they place is alittle dark, cause that is the look they are going for, relaxed, comfy and private. Many celebrities stay/party here and they appreciate the low lighting . They have a unique style and features, tapping the room key, no front desk, no uniforms, free everything on the minibar (non-alcoholic), bath robes, super comfortable bedding, great service. And the views are beautiful either way; Hollywood hills or sunset. And the pool area is beautiful! (check my pics). I just cant wait to get back.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank CSRE
Vienna
Reviewed 2 September 2009

We started our US tour in L.A. and picked the Andaz for 3 nights as our first hotel after the 12 hour flight from Europe. It was the right choice! Easy to find as it is located directly at the Sunset Blvd., very friendly staff and a glas wine offered during check-in helped to ease our jetlag. As mentioned by many others already, there is no reception desk and staff is running around with notebooks for check-in. Honestly, does it make any difference? Not really - lining up in front of a desk or standing around and waiting for a guy to come doesn't make much of a difference...
Rooms are ok (we had 2 queen beds) and I'm not getting it, why the hill view is cheaper than the Sunset view as it is much nicer and more quiet!
Nice sense of humor: if you look through the window at the houses you can read:"you would'nt believe how expensive it is to look that cheap".
Highlight is of course the roof top terrace with the pool! Stunning view and just the best place to start the day with a short swim and a look around the L.A. area.
Restaurant serves decent breakfast and also the bar is ok for a quick drink.
Valet Parking is recommended as self-parking is just 5 bucks less.
Non-alcohol beverages in the mini bar are complimentary and also a power bar is available for free. Plasma TV is also standard.
All in all a chic place to stay for a couple of days.
Only the location is not a 100% perfect as it is a bit too far away from the "action". All the hot places, restaurants, bars at the Plaza are not in walking distance and you'd need to take a cab. But besides that we can recommend it! If you don't like it -> you're either too old or not cool anymore ;-)

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank msspiderman
NY.NY
Reviewed 27 August 2009

While this hotel means well, the feeling is not great. The rooms/halls feel somewhat dirty, and the rooms are very very small. the Lobby is nice, the free wine and juices great - lots of positives - but housekeeping, and ambience leave anyone over 29 with a bit of unease.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Leamington Spa
Reviewed 23 August 2009

Stayed five nights at the Andaz on Sunset Boulevard. Excellent room with terrific view across LA. Excellent and friendly service (especially Dean & Laura), nothing too much trouble for the staff. Really enjoyed the location, the friendly check-in and complimentary wine etc. Followed this stay up with Ceasers palace in Las Vegas and the Hilton Waterfront Beach Resort in Huntington Beach. Both nice hotels but they could learn a lot about service with a smile from the Andaz. I will definately return to the Andaz on my next trip to LA and will look out for an Andaz when staying in other cities around the world. Thoroughly recommended!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple