“Chic, Mellow Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
New York City, New York
“Chic, Mellow Hotel”
Reviewed 22 September 2009

I weighed the Andaz vs the Roosevelt for a while before booking the Andaz for my husbands 30th birthday gift trip to L.A. The main reason why i booked the Andaz was the service and the rooftop pool, both of which I'd heard rave reviews of. (The Roosevelt was tapped for really snobby bad service and an insane, non relaxing pool scene.)

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the Andaz, you'd never know it was a Hyatt, it was a lot more chic of a hotel and there is a lot of up side.

The lobby staff at the Andaz was super pleasant. Everything we needed from check in to restaurant recommendation to cabs and even drug store runs, they were there. I didnt mind that the staff mills about the lobby without uniforms, if you stand there for a second looking like you need something, a staff member will approach you and ask what they can do. The check in process was great too, quick and we had no problem getting early check in (10am) and late check out (2pm). This could have been because the hotel seemed less than full but worked for us...

The rooms were the best part of the hotel. It's nice when your hotel room can feel like a "home base" and you can feel comfortable there. Our room was on the 3rd floor facing Sunset Boulevard. It was a very large room and had a great sunroom on Sunset that you could section off with a drape. It had comfy leather furniture and a small flatscreen TV. The room (as well as the hallways) were VERY dark for my liking, so closing myself off in the sunroom was great. The sunroom is also cool to have breakfast in. Overall the decor in the room is very minimalist, a large very comfy bed, a desk a large dresser and 2 flatscreens (large and small). The coolest part about the room is the free mini bar. This doesnt include alcohol but it does include iced tea, juice, water, club soda, sparkling water, soda, trail mix, energy bars, chips and more. Very cool to be able to save some money here and there buy getting your drinks and snacks from the hotel. The bathrooms were not huge but perfect for two. Great shower and red flower products. We never had a problem with housekeeping, they cleaned the room daily and restocked the mini bar.

The rooftop pool is located on the penthouse level and it's what I had that biggest issue with. The pool are is great, small, but great views. There is one bar with a small assortment of cocktails. I had a blueberry bellini but was not impressed, it tasted like juice and was served in a plastic wine glass. Overall the pool area is very chic and relaxing but I didnt understand the set up. It looked like they set up the pool area for a cocktail party rather than pool lounging. There are only 8 lounge chairs and 5 large beds. I'm pretty sure the hotel was on the empty side when we were there and there were still people laying out on their towels on the ground for lack of space. They waste the minimal amount of space that they have up there with impractical couches and chairs and only enough space for 24 or so people to actually lounge on. That was so weird to me. If the Andaz does blow up and become a big deal the pool set up will kill that quickly. My other HUGE gripe about the pool was the absolutely horrendous choice of music being piped in. I havent heard so much Smash Mouth since 1997, putting the radio on wouldve been a better option, it was just horrible one hit wonder 90'smusic on loop. I can't imagine anyone enjoying it and if I were the bartender up there it would probably drive me to commit poolside mass murder eventually. You can get massages on the roof top and order food and drink but the menu didnt look that great to me so we didnt eat there.

I can't say anything about RH, we didnt eat there but it looked very cool.

The hotel is also within walking distance of some great restaurants (Ketchup, Katana, Chin Chin), lounges (Hyde, Chateau Marmont, House of Blues), and comedy clubs (The Comedy Store, Laugh Factory).

Overall the only thing I would change about the Andaz is the pool setup, pool music, and extremely dark hallways but other than that, a very comfortable and enjoyable stay!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 September 2009

I stayed at the Andaz West Hollywood for 4 days/nights. I had booked it via Priceline, it seemed a good deal but it wasn't. First I wanted to inform about my late checkin, I emailed the hotel and never got any kind of reply. Finally called them I got to talk to someone, who was polite.
As soon as I arrived I was offered wine or water and a few seconds later I was told "ah, you booked your room at Priceline.com", as it meant I deserved a "cheap room" for that. And here we go to see my room, third floor with a nasty view to a parking lot. I was very unhappy, so unhappy that I requested for a room in a higher floor. Lucky I was, I got the same room in the 10th floor, the view was a little better from there, the hills and the parking lot down there. I got a room with 2 queen beds (I didn't like it very much, I was alone and it would have been nice to have a king bed, but since I was a Priceline customer I was told that was the best they could do for me). After that, I found out that my complimentary chocolate bar was half eated, that was not nice, to find rests of someone elses food around. I told them and they did nothing about it. Later I found out the can of nuts (complimentary as well) was open and half of it had been eaten too. So, it was not nice at all to find the complimentary food half eaten in my room. I was lucky that at least I got 2 complimentary bottles of water, and one of diet soda, though. The minibar was OK at least, but was restocked after 3 days only (not the previous days), and 2 of the 4 days I got a cup of coffee for free at the lobby, that was nice, and some of the people working there were nice, others weren't (for example, they have 3 laptops at the lobby, and are free to use for the guests, I needed to print a ticket and so I sit in front of the third laptops -laptop one and two were in use by other guests and while I was there, the other guests left, and suddenly I had this asian girl telling me that I was supposed to sit on the other side and use the other laptops. It was not nice, since they were in use first, and second I was there for less than 10 minutes just to print a ticket, didn't need the advice on which side to sit).
Shampoo and toiletries were not restocked until the last day, so you are supposed to survive 3 days on what you get on day one. Toilet paper was, at least. But on the third day I found out that I had no soap. Apparently housekeeping threw the I had been used away and didn't replace it. So I arrived to the hotel late at night after a busy day I found out I had no soap, no shampoo, no toiletries, no water or any complimentary beverage but I was lucky I had toilet paper and clean towels.
Overall, I didn't like my stay, the room is spacious for one person, but the furniture looks cheap. It has a tiny wardrobe and luggage rack. Personal in-room safe is small as well, it was ok for my netbook but I was unable to put my small camcorder or any of my still camera lenses. Pool is small.
Well, in my own opinion this was a 3 stars hotel and was an OK hotel for the $100+taxes I got to pay for my room, I wouldn't pay more for what looks like a motel.
Wireless Internet is complimentary and fast. This was a good one.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 13 September 2009

From the moment we pulled up we felt like royalty. All of the staff were friendly and only too happy to help us with any requests. Loved the different style check in, relaxing on the couch while sipping a glass of wine is much more appealing than lining up to a counter and being spoken AT. The room was brilliant with gorgeous views of the Hollywood hills. We had a staff member dedicated to us so no matter what we needed at any time, she would help us out. The restaurant served the best food we had for the entire holiday. Knowing that they use only fresh local ingredients in their cooking, for their wines and even had a local designer do their "uniforms" (which actually looked so good we went to see the designers shop) was a big plus. Free hiagh speed internet was yet another bonus to the hotel. The mini bar was inlcuded in the price (excluding the alcohol of course) and there is no better way to wait for your car to come from valet than sitting relaxing on the couches whilst eating complimentary chocolate croissants and having a complimentary coffee. To top it all off, it wasn't anywhere near as expensive as we thought we would be paying for such service. I have already recommended Andaz to friends, who since going are now recommending it to their friends. Cannot wait to go back. Oh and the tour bus to see Hollywood stops right out the front of the hotel too.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Ohio
Reviewed 12 September 2009

We spent 2 nites at the Andaz and loved it. As indicated in previous reviews the check-in process is a little unorthodox but much appreciated after a very long day of traveling. Irina (she was great!) met us at the door and immediately took us to comfortable chairs in the lobby and brought us each a generous glass of wine. Since we had reserved our room on line and paid in advance, she simply confirmed our reservation with our credit card - a process that took less than 5 minutes and then we were on our way to our room. The room was trendy - mostly white/grey - but it was roomy and the king bed extremely comfortable. We had a hillside view of some awesome homes. The bathroom was somewhat small but had beautiful marble tile and the large size toiletries were very nice. All of the staff members throughout our stay went out of their way to be helpful. The complimentary water, juice, soft drinks and snacks in the room were a really nice touch and everything was refilled on our second day without a problem. The complimentary coffee/espresso/croissants in the morning, laptops with internet service in the lobby, and wine in the evening also help to stretch your dollar in an otherwise expensive city. The rooftop pool has a great view and all of the lounges are first come first serve - no charge. We walked on Sunset Blvd during the day and at night and never felt uncomfortable. We would highly recommend the hotel for the service, amenities, value and location.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kudo
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 10 September 2009

Well its unlike any other Hyatt property I have ever stayed in before.....had a buddy who was in Century City and rather than stay at the Hyatt there I decided to stay in a new spot. It is located right next to Beverly Hills and in a big money spot (I think).

Please see my blog at http://talesfromtheroad-mwalno.blogspot.com/

Different experience when I arrived, no name on the building, and we had to ask the "guy" in front if we were in the right spot. The reason I say the "guy" is he was dressed like anyone else (no uniform or name tag), then the young lady who was at the door was dressed just like anyone else (again, no uniform, not professional, just in casual clothes). She walked me to a table where two other people were (dressed just like her) and went to a computer to check me in. It was WEIRD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then she took me to the elevator and escorted me to the room, where she asked if I needed ice, and let me know that all the beverages (except alcohol) and snacks were free. It was so strange........

I headed down to the gym. It was ok, a few weight machines, 3 tread mills, 2 ellipticals and small free weights. Not as good as many of the Hyatt gyms, however it was interesting to look over Sunset Blvd while working out (and seeing the line grown at the House of Blues).

I headed up to see the pool, and it was small with a bunch of very nice chairs and a small bar. Music was nice and the view is awesome. After a quick shower I headed to lobby to meet my buddy for dinner.

While waiting I remembered the girl who checked me in said wine was complimentary after 5 pm. Although there were 3 employees waiting for guests to arrive, no one offered me anything, and I felt awkward to ask for a glass.....but I did.

The location is great and very convenient. I did really enjoy the bed and it was quiet to sleep. I also appreciated the free beverages/snacks in the room.

Check-out the next day was well easy, but again I think is just plain weird (which probably means that it is really cool) that you cant tell who works there because its casual dress and no name tags. It was a pain to get my boarding pass printed, but I did like the croissants they had out for anyone to have.

Would I stay here again? Not a good business hotel - no club room, don't like not knowing who the staff is......for family travel - NO.....for me and Katie - maybe.

If you are young and hip you would probably get more enjoyment from the experience (I think).

Total - $223.55

Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Toronto
Reviewed 8 September 2009

Wow, i just got back from L.A and i stayed at Andaz West Hollywood for four nights.

I got such an amazing deal at $100/night and i could not be so pleased with everything we got.

Our large and clean queen room had great view of the hills, mini bar was fully stocked and totally free, (which was amazing), free wireless internet which was a huge deal breaker that won me over.

The staff was incredible! I was so taken back with the relaxed approach this hotel brings. No front desk. so the reception comes to you with a free glass of wine, and boy was i a happy camper! Laura was great! Very personable and gave us a quick rundown of the city.
As well as brought us up to our room, she pointed out the construction across the hall and assured us that it wouldn't interfere. And it didn't!

The valet was defiantly worth the extra $. We were in and out alot and it was defiantly so convenient.

The rooftop pool was incredible! Stunning views and a great place to lounge for the afternoon and have a few drinks or a bite.

I found the location to be perfect for us. In the middle of everything!

When im in L.A. again I will defiantly stay here again, even if it is at full fair. Totally worth it!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Margarita
Reviewed 5 September 2009

I absolutely loved this place! I had stayed here before the renovation and i must say i was surprised with the outcome. I don’t now how anyone can find this hotel “dirty” or “worn” when it has just be inaugurated. Ambience is great, mostly young people (under 40’s), they place is alittle dark, cause that is the look they are going for, relaxed, comfy and private. Many celebrities stay/party here and they appreciate the low lighting . They have a unique style and features, tapping the room key, no front desk, no uniforms, free everything on the minibar (non-alcoholic), bath robes, super comfortable bedding, great service. And the views are beautiful either way; Hollywood hills or sunset. And the pool area is beautiful! (check my pics). I just cant wait to get back.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business